Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Vintage Television

Page 6 / 7
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

@narnian78 it's based on a true story. The first deaf F.B.I. agent in U.S. history. She and her hearing dog were agents. The stories are probably not actual cases, but they are much more accurate in procedure. They also never curse or show anything inappropriate. The real Sue Thomas makes two cameos. The actress who plays her is deaf as well. There is a LOT of deaf culture in the episodes as well. The episode im currently on shows a deaf club and how a hearing person sees what it is like to fit into their world rather than the other way around. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2023 8:06 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@starkat 

It sounds quite interesting. Thanks for describing the series.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2023 8:17 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've been watching Liberty's Kids, and it brings such nostalgia! It actually still holds up, even after 20 years (crazy to think that it first aired that long ago!)

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2023 8:30 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

It’s hard to believe that Sliders, which aired between 1995-2000, is 28 years old.  My favorite actor on the show was John Rhys-Davies, who played the Professor.  I also liked Jerry O’ Connell, who was Quinn Mallory.  Sabrina Lloyd was also very good as Wade Welles. Today’s science fiction shows are often not as imaginative and thoughtful as Sliders was. The first three seasons of the series were much better than the last two. When the Professor left there was unfortunately a decline in quality, although the series was still enjoyable.  But Professor Arturo was probably the most interesting character. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 12, 2023 9:01 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wonder if anyone here remembers Jack Horkheimer, Stargazer. The five minute program about the night sky was broadcast from the late 1970’s to when Mr. Horkheimer passed away in 2010. It was a very entertaining program designed for amateur astronomers which often filled the brief time between shows on my local PBS station.  It usually aired late at night, e.g. around 12:30 or 1:00 AM.  I miss Mr. Horkheimer’s interesting broadcasts.  🙁

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2023 4:02 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I remember the educational shows on PBS that promoted science like 3-2-1 Contact, which began broadcasting in 1980. The show was intended mostly for elementary and high school students.  But I found it interesting viewing even as an older adult.  Although the program looks quite dated now it was of very good quality.  It certainly made science lively and interesting for young people. It was one of PBS’ best shows for kids.  

There are many old episodes posted on YouTube:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 3, 2023 4:43 pm
starkat liked
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @starkat

Since it's been 21 years since the first episode ran, I guess it could be called vintage... I just found Sue Thomas F.B. Eye on streaming! I have the DVDs, but I haven't watched the series in several years. I absolutely love this series. It's probably my all time favorite.

I actually just found the show on a streaming service, too! I hadn't seen it before. I'm still in the first season, but I've enjoyed it so far. 🙂 One of the things I have really appreciated is that the cases don't feel quite so over-the-top as they do in other procedurals. It does a really good job of making the F.B.I. agents seem like normal people.

Another show I found on streaming was "Maddigan's Quest", a kid's sci-fi/fantasy show from the mid-2000's (which I think was originally from New Zealand). It was only one season long. Some of the effects haven't aged well, and the writing can be a bit clunky at times, but I enjoyed basically every episode for what it was. Thankfully, the show wrapped up the series/season arc before it ended. (I only wish the epilogue had been a bit longer - specifically, I wanted to know what happened to a couple of the characters. That might have been a sequel hook that was never realized.)

Something I've found really refreshing about both of these shows is that they don't feel the need to have rug-pulls every episode. It's kind of funny how they keep subverting my expectations by just... telling their stories straight, without any big twists. Giggle I know trends usually go in cycles, so I can't wait until modern TV goes back to this for a while. Until then, maybe I'll just keep watching older shows....

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2023 9:54 pm
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

@rya I'll have to try the other one. Yeah. Sue Thomas is so much more realistic. They even include things like stakeouts and keep them slow paced and realistic. There's also later episodes that deal with the consequences of an agent firing their weapon or saying the wrong thing in front of the media. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2023 6:28 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am now listening to the soundtrack music of Gerry Anderson’s puppet shows.  This music by Barry Gray is well worth listening to and reminds me of the soundtrack music of the old Walt Disney movies and cartoons. It is very appealing and nostalgic for anyone who loves the children’s puppet shows from the 1960’s.  The supermarionation shows such as Stingray and Thunderbirds have also been compared to Disney’s work.  Of course Gerry Anderson worked more than Disney with puppets, making his shows look much like the cinema. His puppet shows had so much realism and were some of the best ever created. 🙂

This is the first episode of Stingray:

Here is more about Gerry Anderson’s puppet shows, which I have always loved.

This video is really interesting about how they recreated three Thunderbirds episodes from the soundtracks of the vinyl records:

They added the video portion with puppets which look very much like the original ones which were used in the 1960’s television series. The sets were recreated authentically to look like that those of that time. This project was done for the 50th anniversary of Thunderbirds.  I hope someday there will be videos available online or DVD’s released of the three episodes. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 13, 2023 7:19 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I was just thinking about how kids Bible shows had an impact in the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. At time, there were some kids introduced to the Bible in those ways (though they weren't always accurate).

I grew up watching shows like VeggieTales and Storykeepers (about the early Christians in Rome that met in secret places and catacombs).

There was also Animated Stories From The Bible, which I did not see until I was in middle school and high school. While they're good from a storytelling and animation point of view, they've lacked in Biblical accuracy. Though there were times I could see what they were trying to do. For instance, one episode started out with two brothers in confrontation, and I remembering thinking it was a parable. It turned out to be a set up for where someone in the crowd tells Jesus to talk with his brother about dividing the inheritance with him, and Jesus telling the story of the rich fool. I could see what they were trying to do there.

Then years later, Superbook, which is close to accurate. It features two kids in the present day who face some kind of dilemma and Superbook shows up to take them back in Bible times. When they get back, they learn a lesson.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2023 6:36 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasmine_tarkheena 

My church used to have some of the Bible stories on VHS in the church library. I am not sure if they were the same ones that you mentioned. They were animated stories made to appeal to young children.  We still have the Veggie Tales on DVD.  In a way I regretted having to remove the VHS tapes because they weren’t being checked out anymore.  I am currently in charge of the church library.  We had some other nice material on VHS, but we decided to replace them with DVD’s since very few people were using the tapes.  I was happy that Davey and Goliath and some of the other children’s shows were available on DVD since some of them are now considered classics, and they are very appropriate for the church library.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 16, 2023 4:42 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78 

I actually remember watching Davey and Goliath on TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) on Saturdays, when they would showed kids shows.

There were also shows called Greatest Heroes and Legends of the Bible, Friends and Heroes (about the rebels during the time of the Romans), The Greatest Adventures In The Bible.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2023 6:46 pm
Narnian78 liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

We're over half through the second season of Alias Smith and Jones, we have really spread out watching this one. Sadly there are only two more of Pete Duel episodes left. Sad  

Since I posted back in the summer, my sisters and I watched most of season 7 of Mannix, then the whole family rewatched a few episodes of Danger Man, and now we are working our way through the third season of The Fugitive. After we finish the third season of The Fugitive which we are quite enjoying, I think we might finished Mannix before watching the final season of The Fugitive.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2024 7:53 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am enjoying The Twilight Zone again after at least a couple of years.  "Time Enough At Last" was always one of my favorite episodes and I also loved "Walking Distance".  Does anyone here have some favorite episodes?  The most interesting ones to me are the space and time stories. I think most of the stories are more haunting than extremely terrifying.  The later versions of Twilight Zone were not as good as the original.  I would certainly recommend the original series over any of them.   The Outer Limits was a very good series, but it wasn't the same as Twilight Zone.  And Night Gallery had some fine episodes, but Twilight Zone was by far Rod Serling's best series. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 17, 2024 9:35 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am rewatching Anne of Green Gables, the series that was first broadcast on PBS in the 1980’s.  I think Megan Follows was the best actress to play Anne. It is such a wonderful program that I have the first three series on DVD and the first program on Blu-ray. If you have never seen it before give it a try.  I recommend it highly as family entertainment. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 21, 2024 5:40 pm
coracle liked
Page 6 / 7
Share: