Never heard of it, probably not for us  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
Heard of it, we do not observe, don't plan to  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

[Closed] Lent 2021: The Lent of Wheat and Tares

The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hi everybody. Last year, 2020, was "the Lentiest Lent we ever Lented." So what words are left for this one?

At the risk of playing Trope Namer, I'd like to name 2021 The Lent of Wheat and Tares (for Matthew 13:24-30).

Because we won't know how this year will unfold.

(Someone else suggested The Great Lent Set. It's a worthy entry, but I think that's more a 2022 candidate.)

And it promises to be an uncertain and rambunctious Lent. 42 days to go.

Who here observes Lent? And how is it going so far? 

This topic was modified 3 years ago by The Old Maid

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

Topic starter Posted : February 20, 2021 9:25 am
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I'm Russian Orthodox and have been observing Lent for quite a while now. The last two years have been an exception as in 2020 I was pregnant and now I'm a nursing mother.

I'm not sure how others do it, but in the Russian Orthodox Church during the Great Lent you stay away from meat, dairy and eggs, honey and any products that come from an animal. (Basically you go vegan). (There's still the Christmas Lent and the Peter and Paul Lent, but the rules are less strict)

In 2019, when I was working in an orphanage in rural Zambia the nannies there couldn't understand why I wouldn't eat the meat and eggs, and just eat here mealie meal and vegetables, it took a while for them to understand. As in the village, eating meat or eggs daily is a luxury. 

How is Lent observed elsewhere?

always be humble and kind

Posted : February 20, 2021 12:08 pm
Courtenay liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

This year it's a challenge to find a way to observe Lent, with so many things different. Giving things up is somewhat relative now. 

I need to discipline myself to do readings that focus me on it.  

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : February 20, 2021 12:34 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

@wild-rose, in the Western/Latin side of the Church, Lent is mostly viewed as a Catholic thing. In recent decades some mainline Protestants have adopted it, both denominations and individuals. Generally, evangelicals and non-denominational groups don't have it.

"Your mileage may vary," of course. Due to circumstances, I was taken to five different denominations by the time I was thirteen years old. Not buildings. Denominations. Considering that they almost all taught that the Bible can be understood in "plain language" by any true seeker, it was interesting that they had different answers to the big questions. ("What must I do to be saved? Who can be Baptised? When you partake of the Lord's Supper, what exactly are you doing?") But none of them spake the word "Lent." Still a Catholic thing back then, but I expect that was not the only reason.

As an adult, the church I joined decided to try Lent in the form of extra services, including shared services with a cluster of other churches. That way, the clergy only had to preach at one service. For the rest of the season, they too could be in the pews and be spiritually fed. I think clergy do need that rest sometimes. Having said that, the shared services didn't last. The tone of the sermons did, though. So we now have a Lenten season.

Personal disciplines I first heard tended to be small, even cute. "Giving up chocolate for Lent," as if that were a vice. I did that once and don't think I got out of it what was intended. I remember eating as a substitute more lemon sandwich cookies than I ever have in my life, before or since.

To the extent that I learned anything, it was that (for me) a discipline of food had to be total: eat thou nothing. Part of it comes from being single, perhaps. I have no obligation to purchase or prepare foods that I do not enjoy. So a vegan day would be a lemon cookie day to me. I'd just eat twice as much veggie burgers, slow-baked beans, and ice cream.

And do you know what they sell for Lenten fundraiser dinners in Western/Latin church? Fish fry! I have asked fish-fry workers if I might pretty-please have as many pieces of fish as they could give me without losing their job. For me, that's a treat, not a discipline.

Now other people do get a lot out of a vegan day or kosher day or whatever, and I respect that. I've just learned it didn't stop me from "cheating" another way. (Look at cooking sites like this one and you'll see what I mean. Yummy.)

But maybe I'm just being too strict with myself. I don't see anyone telling themselves that it's "cheating" to eat all those King Cakes or Pancakes or Pączkis on Shrove Tuesday / Fat Tuesday. Not even when they actually bought the luxury ingredients to make these treats.

The next disciplines were about adding something. Take more turns cooking for the homeless shelter. Collect coats and gloves and school supplies. And so forth.

Last Lent was a moment in history, so they named it. There are dozens of articles describing 2020 as "The Lentiest Lent that ever Lented." Many are very well written, and worth a look.

For Lent 2021 I figured we would see "The Lent of Wheat and Tares," because we are in transition. Then Pope Francis said he hoped for "a Lent of faith, hope, and love." Now everyone's calling it that. (I had already named my blogpost by then, so I guess I'll have to change it.) You'll find some good articles for this year too.

This post was modified 3 years ago by The Old Maid

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

Topic starter Posted : March 10, 2021 5:20 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

So ... it looks like this isn't a very Lenty site. But @wild-rose, here's wishing you a holy Holy Week and a most blessed Easter on this April 12th Sunday!

Topic starter Posted : April 8, 2021 4:07 pm
Share: