Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Vintage Television

Page 5 / 7
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Oh man, Liberty's Kids! That's a real blast from the past. I was in 5th grade when it came out, and I would watch it whenever I could after that (despite this, I missed quite a few episodes and I'm not sure ever saw the complete series). Admittedly, I'm not sure I've seen it since then, so I'm not sure what my opinion would be of it these days.

I do remember the star studded cast, though! This was right when I started paying attention to actors' names, so it was fun to figure out where I'd heard these voices before. Liam Neeson was even in the show as John Paul Jones, in one of my favorite episodes of the series. At the time, he was Qui-Gon Jinn in my mind - since this predated the first Walden movie.

Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

The theme song almost gets stuck in your head (though the rap does seem out of place for a show that takes place during the American Revolution).

Even at the time, I thought the rap was really tacked on. But that was Aaron Carter who sang that part (and later played a soldier under Washington's command), and as I recall, his involvement in the show was part of the marketing. As I recall, he was a pretty big name at the time - at the very least, I had friends who were obsessed with him.

Posted by: @narnian78

I would recommend the 1980’s show Voyagers! for teaching children about history. The series had two time travelers going back in time to correct the errors in historical events.

That description simultaneously reminds me of the Peabody and Sherman segments from Rocky and Bullwinkle (except I assume taken more seriously), and a computer game I played called Jump Start 3rd Grade (which involved you going back in time and fixing someone else's meddling). I might have to track this one down and give it a watch!

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2022 7:18 pm
Narnian78 liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @rya

Oh man, Liberty's Kids! That's a real blast from the past. I was in 5th grade when it came out, and I would watch it whenever I could after that (despite this, I missed quite a few episodes and I'm not sure ever saw the complete series). Admittedly, I'm not sure I've seen it since then, so I'm not sure what my opinion would be of it these days.

I do remember the star studded cast, though! This was right when I started paying attention to actors' names, so it was fun to figure out where I'd heard these voices before. Liam Neeson was even in the show as John Paul Jones, in one of my favorite episodes of the series. At the time, he was Qui-Gon Jinn in my mind - since this predated the first Walden movie.

Quite amount of celebrity guest stars in the show. And some of the episodes are in depth. For instance, one of my favorite episodes is Benedict Arnold, and it's really in depth about his treachery.

There is another show from AMC called Turn: Washington's Spies which is about the Culper Ring, an Intelligence committee during the American Revolution. I think it's worth checking out if you're into history or if you're into spy shows.

Posted by: @rya

Even at the time, I thought the rap was really tacked on. But that was Aaron Carter who sang that part (and later played a soldier under Washington's command), and as I recall, his involvement in the show was part of the marketing. As I recall, he was a pretty big name at the time - at the very least, I had friends who were obsessed with him.

I wonder if the Liberty's Kids theme song will be part of Aaron Carter's legacy, now that he has departed from this world.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2022 5:18 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Still working our way through Mannix. One of my sisters decided she doesn't really like the show, so it's been slow going getting through season 5. However I think we are on the last disc for that season.

The aforementioned sister does like Scarecrow and Mrs. King, so over the last few months we have watched most of seasons 1-2. Currently have 4 episodes remaining in season 2. This is my third time watching through the series, still one of my absolute favorites. I really enjoy in season 2 watching Lee realize how much he likes working with and being around Amanda. Smile  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2023 10:46 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I grew up watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special during the Holiday season. It has a special place in my heart. It has been airing on TV since 1965 (if anyone on here could remember that far back).

What makes it special that there's a moment where Linus tells of the true meaning of Christmas- about the baby Jesus and the shepherds. As the message of the special points out, Christmas become so much about companies getting people to buy stuff. As you could tell, there's a lot of commercials on TV during the Christmas season. Charlie Brown Christmas points out that Christmas should not be commercialized... it should point people back to Jesus.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2023 7:11 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasmine_tarkheena 

It certainly is vintage Christmas television. I have seen that special so many times, and I still enjoy it every time. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 27, 2023 9:19 pm
Azog the Defiler
(@azog-the-defiler)
NarniaWeb Nut

The theme song almost gets stuck in your head (though the rap does seem out of place for a show that takes place during the American Revolution).

"Almost." It got stuck in my head too often when I watched that show as a kid. That was one of my favorites since I was (and am) in to history.

Has anyone seen VeggieTales? That's another childhood favorite. I'm not sure if it counts as vintage, because they made episodes a year or two ago, but they have some rather iconic episodes from the 90s and early 2000s.

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

-Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2023 2:28 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@azog-the-defiler 

It sure does. I own Liberty's Kids on DVD (with July 4th coming up real soon in the United States, I should probably be watching that, especially the episode about the Declaration of Independence).

That's true of any vintage shows. As I've mentioned about the Charlie Brown Christmas, I often find myself singing the iconic song, "Christmas Time Is Here."

I also grew up watching Veggietales. A lot of them are Bible stories (kid-friendly, of course). They even done a lot of Christmas ones.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2023 3:12 pm
Azog the Defiler
(@azog-the-defiler)
NarniaWeb Nut

(with July 4th coming up real soon in the United States, I should probably be watching that, especially the episode about the Declaration of Independence).

I assume you're British or Canadian then. I don't suppose you celebrate "colonial aggression day"😉 over there. 

I often watch Christmas-themed VeggieTales episodes around Christmas myself. Which episode would be your favorites?

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

-Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2023 5:41 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @azog-the-defiler

I assume you're British or Canadian then. I don't suppose you celebrate "colonial aggression day"😉 over there. 

I'm American, from the State of Oregon. Liberty's Kids actually takes place long before Oregon was established. At the time, America was in the process of becoming an independent nation. In the US, we celebrate Independence Day on July 4th.

Posted by: @azog-the-defiler

I often watch Christmas-themed VeggieTales episodes around Christmas myself. Which episode would be your favorites?

So many to choose from. Veggietales has been known to do some parodies- Larryboy (Batman), Minnesota Cuke (Indiana Jones. "Why does it have to be worms?" is a reference to, "Why does it have to be snakes?"), Larry's Lagoon (Gilligan's Island), Lord of the Beans (Lord of the Rings), etc.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2023 6:39 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Ah, Veggietales, I grew up with the early ones on VHS and then in the mid 2000s we finally got some DVDs around the time Lord of the Beans was new. Giggle I love all the references and spoofs in the early ones, after the 2000s the quality really tanked IMHO. Fun fact I didn't have a clue what Lord of the Rings was about when we first watched Lord of the Beans.

Finished season 6 of Mannix (setting this series aside for while before watching the final two seasons), currently into season 4 of Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and working on finishing season 2 of The Fugitive (had a hard time finding the time to watch this one, so it got shove to the back of the queue, down to the last episode now). Also recently started watching Alias Smith and Jones with the whole family, where was this show when I was a kid??? Giggle The first few episodes have been great. 

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2023 10:25 am
coracle liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I really like VeggieTales' The Star of Christmas and An Easter Carol because they delve into the theological implications of the holidays and don't simply reiterate the biblical accounts of Christ's incarnation, death and resurrection. That's actually kind of rare for Christian media aimed at children.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2023 10:50 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I don’t know if anyone here remembers Read All About It, a children’s show from Canada which encouraged kids to read.  It was on PBS in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. It even had some science fiction in it with an alien entity interfering with the history of a small town. It looked very dated and was made on small budget, but it still was quite good for a young audience. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 3, 2023 10:52 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@narnian78 I actually have heard of that one though I haven't watched it.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2023 12:29 pm
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Since it's been 21 years since the first episode ran, I guess it could be called vintage... I just found Sue Thomas F.B. Eye on streaming! I have the DVDs, but I haven't watched the series in several years. I absolutely love this series. It's probably my all time favorite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2023 7:31 pm
SnowAngel liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@starkat 

I don’t think I have ever seen that series. What was it like?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2023 8:02 pm
Page 5 / 7
Share: