Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Newly discovered poem by Lewis and exhibition at Magdalen College

Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Fellow fans of Lewis, listen up! Grin   (it's the best I can do with the alliteration — you'll see what that's about shortly)

I just found this recent article from the UK Daily Telegraph that gives us a delightful new discovery — a previously unknown poem by Lewis that he wrote as a gratitude gift for friends, a scholarly couple, Dr Ida and Eric Gordon, with whom he'd stayed overnight and deeply appreciated their hospitality:

Unknown CS Lewis poem on whiskey and warm blankets discovered 

You can read the whole of the poem and the background to it in the linked article, which I think should be accessible to everyone. 

And that's not all... at the end of the article, we're told something I wasn't aware of — that starting this week, from 24th April to 11th September 2024, there's going to be an exhibition on Lewis and his works at Magdalen College in Oxford! Here's the link to the details for anyone who may be able to get there:

C. S. Lewis: Words and Worlds

Well, there's an excuse for me to get down to Oxford some time in the next few months!! Dancing (I've been there a number of times before, when I lived closer to Oxford than I do now, but not since 2018, I think it was, when there was an exhibition on Tolkien.) I will definitely report my impressions and would love to hear if any other NarniaWebbers are able to go. 

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2024 5:44 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

A fantastic find!

Given how many letters Lewis wrote to friends and fans (including to Glumpuddle's grandfather, if I'm not mistaken) it makes me wonder how many more writings of his are still waiting to be discovered. 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 22, 2024 4:37 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@the-mad-poet-himself Very true, regarding lost writings!

I was just re-reading the news article and realised that either there's a typo or someone at the Telegraph is not good with numbers. The opening line describes the poem as having been written "60 years ago", but further down we're told it dates from 1935. Ummm... by my count, that's 89 years ago... Silly  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 22, 2024 5:45 pm
Cleander liked
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay Oh boy LOL . What do they teach in these schools?

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2024 4:46 am
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@the-mad-poet-himself Apparently not logic... or at least not basic numeracy. Tongue  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 23, 2024 11:49 am
Cleander liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@courtenay 60 years ago was when Lewis died. Perhaps they've mixed their information. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2024 12:59 pm
wonderings
(@wonderings)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I wonder if the poem has been in hiding for a reason. As brilliant a writer as Lewis was, his poetry was something he did not hold in high regard, nor did critics if memory serves me. He was so unhappy with his poetry he gave it up from what I have read. Still, always interesting to see and find new things for this great man, I love how his mind perceived the world, few like him, if any!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 1, 2024 11:53 am
Courtenay liked
Share: