Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Chosen

Page 5 / 6
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I realize my above comments are greatly influenced by a scene from Episode 2 so I should wait on further discussion on Judas. Giggle

I didn't realize Chosen was on YouTube, so here's the link in case others would like to see it. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itvS62kWALA

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 15, 2022 8:06 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Since I've gathered that the early episodes of Season 3 are going to be about Matthew's parents and I'd kind of forgotten about them, I've been rewatching some of Season 1 to refresh myself and I've actually been enjoying it more than I remember the first time. Smile

Something I'd forgotten about really liking is Nicodemus's wife. Since her goal is to discourage Nicodemus from throwing his weight behind Jesus and to remind him of everything he'd lose, it would have been extremely easy to have her be this nagging shrew. But she's quite likeable though I'm not sure if the writers or the actress are the ones who deserve credit for that. This means that even though we want Nicodemus to follow Jesus, we can empathize with why he's reluctant to do so. We don't want his wife's life to be ruined either. It's much more dramatically interesting that way. 

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2022 8:17 pm
fantasia liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

So, I saw Episode 2's YouTube premiere. As I suspected, it was much better than Episode 1. 

That being said, I still feel like the show is of rather mixed quality, but maybe that's inevitable. You've got twelve disciples and they've all got love interests and parents, etc. I find it hard to keep track of everyone and their motivations. And some of them I find a lot more interesting than others. But, considering how many important characters the show has to juggle, it's impressive that it's as good as it is. 

Spoiler
Spoilers
I kind of wish that the scene between Matthew and his parents could have been at the end of Episode 1. Since it felt like a resolution, it would have made sense to be towards the end of an episode than near the beginning. And a problem I had with Episode 1 was that it felt like random stuff was happening without anything being accomplished.

I wonder if the writers are familiar with The Man Born to be King by Dorothy L. Sayers, my favorite dramatic retelling of the gospels, because it also has Matthew turn down the position of treasurer because of his past. It's a fun coincidence anyway.

I love how they subverted expectations by having Simon (not Peter, the other Simon) swallow his disgust for Matthew pretty quickly and promise to grit his teeth through working with him right away. Of course, I'm sure he's going to blow up later in the season and I'm interested to see how that'll play out.

The acting in the confrontation between James and Jesus was great, maybe the best I can remember in the series. I've read people describe The Chosen as tearjerking and I've never felt like the emotional moments were poorly done, but that's the first time I remember really having my own tears jerked by it. (Well, not literally, I don't really cry when I watch TV or read books, but if I did, I would have cried at that scene.)

I'm a little surprised you enjoyed the episodes, Fantasia, because you've said that you were disappointed about how much the show was about extrabiblical drama with Jesus's disciples and it seems like it's setting up Season 3 to be all about that, there not being much information in the Bible about the disciples' experiences when Jesus sent them out to heal the sick in his name, etc.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2022 6:44 am
fantasia liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @col-klink

I'm a little surprised you enjoyed the episodes, Fantasia, because you've said that you were disappointed about how much the show was about extrabiblical drama with Jesus's disciples and it seems like it's setting up Season 3 to be all about that,

For me it's a balance. From the very beginning in Season One there's been a lot of extrabiblical storytelling. From Nicodemus performing a failed exorcism on Mary Magdalen to Matthew being Peter and Andrew's tax collector, there's a lot going on that I doubt actually happened. BUT, with Season one, they didn't divert from the actual Biblical narrative, where what they portrayed I suppose COULD have happened (though unlikely). And then (the most important thing), they reverted to the Biblical narrative where appropriate. Everything fit.

With Season two, I felt like the Biblical narrative was REALLY pushed to the side for the sake of unnecessary drama (Jesus's "arrest" by the Romans, Mary Magdalene going back to her gambling and drinking, etc) and the HUGE blunder of forgetting that Jesus is still omnipotent God in human form when he's practicing and messing up his Sermon on the Mount, those were big turn-offs. Then when it came time to add in the Biblical narrative, they cut the scenes prematurely (like teaching the disciples the Lord's Prayer, they didn't finish it). The focus was all wrong and the scenes/characters were not as believable. 

But Season three has come back around again for me. The scene you mentioned in your spoiler @Col-klink is probably in my top three, not-actually-in-the-Bible scenes because it's SOOO powerful and I think hits on an element of Scripture that all of us on earth struggle with. 

Some other thoughts since I have time to mention them now....

Spoiler
I also really loved the scenes of reconciliation between Matthew and his parents, as well as Andrew apologizing to Mary. Clearly there is growth going on with the disciples which is so refreshing to see. 

I was so excited to see Joanna in there. There was also Jairus that's setting up for Jesus raising his daughter, thumbs up there as well. Hoping for more of the actual minor Bible characters to show up as I've mentioned in a previous post (Susanna, Matthais, Jesus's half-brothers, etc).

And I also had to laugh that when Jesus divides up the disciples he pairs Matthew with Simon the Zealot. I was so hoping that would happen in the show because it's such a brilliant picture of Christianity bringing people together who would otherwise be enemies.

Some things I'm still hesitant about the direction they're going is the Thomas and Ramah romance. I want to like Atticus and I wonder if he's going to be the "surely he was the Son of God" Roman at the cross but right now I'm a little hesitant about him. And then there are a number of side characters making me go "hmmm." So we'll see.

I have several busy weeks coming up as after Christmas is my anniversary, my birthday, my kids homeschool co-op starting back up (I'm teach a few weeks, aaaaaahhhhhh!) so I hope to catch the upcoming episodes as they're released, but I may run behind a few days.

Posted by: @col-klink

That being said, I still feel like the show is of rather mixed quality, but maybe that's inevitable. You've got twelve disciples and they've all got love interests and parents, etc. I find it hard to keep track of everyone and their motivations. And some of them I find a lot more interesting than others. But, considering how many important characters the show has to juggle, it's impressive that it's as good as it is. 

After I wrote the above, I read this and wanted to comment...sorry it's out of order. 

I totally get where you're coming from. And I agree, some characters and their stories are much stronger than others. But without doing a full on Marvel-style series (which I would NOT like), I think it would be tedious to have a strong story with each disciple.  I personally think they're doing a decent job (I would like some more of Philip because I really have liked him so far and he's had the least screen-time), and to their defense, even the Bible has some of the disciples with a name drop and then nothing.  My two cents. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 20, 2022 2:52 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

So, it's almost time for a new episode of The Chosen and I haven't written anything about the last two. LOL Guess I'd better do it now. 

Spoiler
Episodes 3 and 4
I mostly liked Episode 3, but I feel like they tried too hard to make Jesus modest in the first half. Like there's all these instances of people saying, "wow, so you're this really big teacher now," and he's all, "oh, you know, so-so." Then when we get to the part of the episode that's based on the Bible, he's totally the opposite. It kind of sums up my problems with this show's characterization of Christ.

But there were also a lot of things that I appreciated. I'm glad they finally introduced Lazarus and his sisters. I feel like they kind of missed an opportunity by having them all know him from childhood, so we never get to actually see them meet, but, hey, maybe there'll be a flashback episode later. And the final scene or scenes were some of the best sad moments I can remember on the show.

I remember reading an interview with the series creator where he talked about whether they were going to do anything with Jesus's family. He said that it would be hard to do that while appealing to both Catholics and Protestants since they strongly differ on whether Jesus had biological brothers or not. (Protestants believe he had. Catholics believe they were adopted or more like cousins.) For Episode 3, it seemed like the writers decided to solve the problem by referring to them by name without saying their exact relation to Jesus or Mary. I feel like that'd be hard to keep up, but it works so far.

Episode 4 I found to be kind of a bore. (Hey! That rhymed.) Similar to what I wrote before about Episode 1 (of Season 3) a lot of it was setting up events and conflicts for later episodes, so I can't really say whether I'll like it until I watch those. I've got to say I'm really disappointed that they just showed the disciples spreading Jesus's message, casting out demons, etc. in a montage. (It was a good montage FWIW) I know you want there are viewers who want the show to focus more on what's actually in the Bible and dramatizing it in more detail would have required a lot of invention, but it just seems like a huge waste, especially if it means they aren't going to develop the relationship between Simon the Zealot and Matthew the tax collector, which it seemed like Episode 2 was setting up. And I think I'm starting to agree with Fantasia that these disciples are annoyingly immature. Giggle Episode 4 just felt like it had a lot of wangst in it for Simon Peter.

It may be only four episodes in, but I already feel like the third season has the least consistent quality. There were definitely subplots and episodes that I liked better than others in the first two seasons, but I don't remember there being this wide a gap between the ones I enjoyed and the ones I didn't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2023 6:20 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

So I haven't been posting in this thread lately because...well, honestly I'd gotten kind of bored with the show. I've felt like this third season has been the weakest one. But I finally gotten around to watching the last two episodes and they were pretty great. 

Spoiler
Spoilers for the Season Finale and the Season on the Whole
The cinematography in the final episode was awesome and it was really clever the way the show cut between Simon Peter and Eden's stories, so that each serves as a commentary on the other.

I feel like this season was really weirdly structured. I know that talking about structure sounds pretentious, but that's the thing. Watching the first two seasons, I didn't think about how they were structured at all. With this one, I did. The first episode focused a lot on the character of Matthew, but then they barely did anything with him the rest of the season. I don't necessarily mind that much since the first two seasons had a lot of him and there's something to be said to moving on to other characters. But it would have made a lot more sense to have his reconciliation with his parents come at the end of Season 2.

The season premiere also focuses a lot on Thomas and Ramah and, in particular, talks a lot about Ramah's father like he;s going to be important. But then they don't really do anything with that either. The episode also focused a lot on Judas but if they developed him much afterward, I can't remember how. That one's understandable though since he was only introduced at the end of Season 2, and they needed to establish him more even if they didn't have many plans for him in Season 3.

The only characters who I felt got as much development as they needed were the two Simons and even the Zealot's could have stood to be more interesting.

It's been pretty typical for the episodes this season to be pretty meandering and dull for most of their runtime and then finish up with really exciting dramatic stuff. I wonder if I'd enjoy it more if I were less familiar with the gospels. Since I can guess who the new characters are going to be, I'm just waiting for Jesus to heal them. I mean I'd probably predict that was going to happen even if I weren't familiar with the gospels, but being familiar with them, I not only know that Jesus will cure their ailments, I know how He will too. That being said, I still enjoy those scenes when we get to them.

And, like I said, the finale was really gripping. But Fantasia and I seem to disagree about which parts of the show are better and worse, so maybe she dislikes it.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Col Klink

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2023 11:29 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Wow, it has been over six months since this topic has been active!

We have decided to start showing The Chosen to a group of adults who are burdened with mental illness. I wanted to wait until Jenkins was a few seasons in before we made this decision, but now three Seasons have elapsed, and we feel the show is trustworthy and Biblically sound enough to bring to this community.

I am starting with Season 1, Episode 1 on Monday, September 11, hoping to show one episode each week, with some discussion afterwards, if there is interest. There will be a few exceptions throughout the next four months, such as Canadian Thanksgiving Monday, a vacation, and over the Christmas holidays, but other than that, I hope to be there each week.

I will stress to the group that this is historical fiction, as, while the series is based on the Gospels, there are backstories and current situations, which are found nowhere in the Bible, yet are still plausible. I do believe Jenkins' heart is to keep faithful to the historical accounts in the Gospels, even as he expands in many areas, some of which I like; others which I am not as thrilled about in his speculation. But there is nothing to turn me off completely, that's for sure.

Since I am not a big TV/movie person (I much prefer to read!), this is a big commitment for me, but I am determined to continue to share the truth of Jesus Christ with these dear folk. We already have a strong relationship with this community, as we are heavily involved in various aspects of their lives. Smile

It looks like Season Four will be premiering in the New Year, so we should be able to keep right on with Four once we finish Three, probably sometime in April, I'm thinking. 

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2023 4:31 pm
coracle and fantasia liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

What a huge gift for these special friends of yours! There is a lot of emotion in the first season, and seeing Jesus make changes in people's lives, along with seeing something of how they lived, will reach out beyond complete understanding of script.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2023 12:38 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator
Posted by: @coracle

will reach out beyond complete understanding of script.

I should clarify: these people are not developmentally delayed. A few of them even have university degrees. These are folk who struggle with mental illness (schizophrenia, for example), but are very capable of understanding. So, I can see some lively questions and discussion happening regarding The Chosen content, as we have also seen occur during and after the worship services we hold there. They will relate in large part to scenes such as Mary Magdalene coming to Jesus in her brokenness, the demon-possessed man being healed, James not being made whole by Jesus (that entire, amazing conversation), etc. I think they will quite enjoy the humour too.

We are eager to begin! Smile

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2023 4:59 am
coracle
(@coracle)

It wasn't intellectual limitation I thought of, but perhaps not knowing cultural, historical, and church backgrounds. 

What an excellent tool for sharing and discussing the greatest Gift! 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2023 2:04 pm
johobbit liked
Azog the Defiler
(@azog-the-defiler)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @fantasia

Just curious if anybody else on here is a fan of The Chosen series? If you haven't already seen Season 1, here's the YouTube link to episodes one and two, and the following six additional episodes should be easy to find.

Most of my friends are fans. I started the first episode but I honestly wasn't super impressed. The plot seemed very slow. I also get slightly annoyed with Biblical adaptions where they add details that weren't present in the Bible. I understand that it's kind of necessary but it rubs me the wrong way nonetheless. 

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

-Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2023 8:56 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@azog-the-defiler I suppose it is this generation's version of the huge Hollywood movies of Biblical stories, made in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. They told the story fairly correctly, added material, almost everyone spoke with American accents...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2023 11:55 pm
rraym
(@rraym)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I was sceptical about the concept.  I would enjoy the visually presentation of the Gospels, but was uneasy about the amount of added scenes that would be needed to make the storyteller compelling for television, or rather, a streaming service.

So, my wife and I have stared watching and are currently in the early episodes of season two.  My wife has thoroughly enjoyed the show.  She says the program helps to fill in the "gaps" in the Gospels, helping to form a cohesive story.  I, however, contend the the Gospels include all the we need to know.  We do need to understand context, but beyond that, not much more is needed.

I do watch the shows, but I do not enjoy it as much as my wife.  I find myself constantly trying to figure out if the characters are doing or saying what is actually in the Gospels and what has been added.

I can see the benefits for some people - anything to spread the Gospel cannot be all bad.  So far though, the show has done nothing to strengthen my faith or understanding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2023 11:36 am
Azog the Defiler
(@azog-the-defiler)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @coracle

I suppose it is this generation's version of the huge Hollywood movies of Biblical stories, made in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. They told the story fairly correctly, added material, almost everyone spoke with American accents...

I probably haven't seen those movies. That's good that they told the story correctly in The Chosen. I don't care for the added material though. I've seen too many instances where creative license was taken a little too far. I suppose Angel hired mainly American actors which would explain the accents.

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

-Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2023 11:43 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

It’s super rare for a movie or series based on a Bible story made by Hollywood to be accurate. Though they do get close on occasion. 

I haven’t watched The Chosen, though I’ve heard good things about it. I even heard how people like to see the Gospels from the Disciple’s perspectives. 

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2023 12:43 pm
Page 5 / 6
Share: