Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Chosen

Page 4 / 6
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

@col-klink, the story of David is in 1 Samuel 21:1-6, and then Jesus references that story in Matthew 12:1-8.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 25, 2021 4:24 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator
Posted by: @fantasia

I saw someone make a comment about that argument at the end of the scene, and the arrival of Jesus, comparing it to how churches sadly fight among themselves... I thought it was a very thoughtful and intriguing comparison. 

Totally, yes! Sad What a moving scene, and portrayed so much with few words when it hit the punch at the end.

Spoiler
Spoiler on hugginess
Posted by: @fantasia

And why is everybody so huggy in this show? So much for falling at Jesus's feet in fear and reverence.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Yes, I have read the Spoilers Tongue and concur with this. While I appreciate so much about The Chosen's character of Jesus, they seem to only be focusing on his gentle, gracious side, which is hugely important, of course, but needs to be balanced with his more assertive side. In Season 1, one of the Pharisees mentioned to Nicodemus that Jesus had called them "a brood of vipers", but we only heard about this second-hand. (Or was that strong term spoken by John the Baptiser? Hmm, now I may be getting confused. Tongue ) In any case, the point is that the closest Jesus comes to any assertiveness is when in S. 2, e. 1 when Jesus confronted James and John after they came to him out in the field. I could hear authority in his voice that has not been much present before. Yet it would make sense that this would develop more as time goes on, rather than, boom, at the very beginning of his ministry years. In some senses, his personality in this series reminds me of the Walden Aslan, who did not portray the power and majesty (imho) that Lewis' Aslan certainly had.

I have yet to watch Season 2, e. 4 on, ... hopefully sometime this summer. Wink  

(I had to put my response in a separate Spoiler because the formatting was really weird otherwise.)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2021 6:53 am
Col Klink liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Spoiler
I forgot to mention in my post about the last episode that I liked the scene between Peter, Matthew and Mary Magdalen. Actually, there were a lot of scenes that I liked but they didn't stand out enough for me to describe them in detail. And the acting was of high quality, even when the writing wasn't. So I came off as more dismissive toward the episode than I actually am.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 9:13 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I didn't think I would watch the Chosen last night, but our small group ended up being cancelled again due to our fearless leaders' little boy has the croup, so they were caring for him.

I was pretty nervous going in because like you mentioned @col-klink, I had seen the spoilerish pictures and I couldn't imagine having a positive outcome. So I guess what I will say is simply that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was all fanfiction again, mostly for the purpose of character development. Here are my two short thoughts....

Spoiler
Season 2 Episode 7 Thoughts

This is the first time I've been intrigued by this Atticus character. Up until now he's been just an annoying side addition. Now I'm interested to see where they go with him.

The biggest negative for me was they spent the WHOLE episode with made up storyline, and then at the very end when they throw in Jesus teaching his disciples the Lord's Prayer, they cut it after two lines. Eyeroll I really couldn't believe they did that because the filmmakers entire point of making this show is to present Jesus to people through the eyes of the disciples, and then when they finally get to something rather important from the Bible, they cut it short.

Anyways, I will say this much. I am really looking forward to Episode 8, the Sermon on the Mount. I get the impression that so much of the "fluff" of this season was their attempt to put in filler so they could have this sermon be the climax for the season. And I'm hoping after this they pace it better so there's more Bible and less fanfiction. 

An interesting side-note. In the Bible, Judas Iscariot has already been chosen as part of the 12 disciples by the time they get to the SotM. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been added in yet. Surely they could have had a backstory for him as part of the show instead of some of the other odd directions they went. Maybe that's how they plan to open Season 3? I'm also hoping that they have more of the minor disciples added in too that are named in the Bible. 😉 (ie Matthias and Cleopas, Susanna, Joanna, etc)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2021 11:05 am
johobbit liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I've just resumed watching, after several weeks pause. I started at the beginning again, to get the feeling of it, and again I enjoyed the realism and vividness of the acting and scenes. I'll try to avoid spoilers for the episodes I've not yet seen!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2021 1:55 pm
fantasia liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I felt really dumb today. I was talking to my mom about S2E1 today which she finally watched, and after discussing it for a while she pointed out to me that.....

Spoiler
Crippled Man
...the crippled man that Jesus helps is representing the robbers in the story of the Good Samaritan.

Duh. And of course as soon as she said that it made perfect sense. You all probably knew that already. Wink

Who all is watching the Season Finale tomorrow? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 10, 2021 7:02 pm
johobbit liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I'm rewatching from the start, before I watch the newest few episodes of Series 2.

Today I watched as the paralysed man wriggled his toes and then started to stand up. Tears in my eyes!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2021 8:43 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Welp, that's a wrap until next year!

I don't actually have too much to comment on because I especially don't want to share spoilers from this episode. But for those who have patiently read through my previous posts and watched the finale, I'm pretty sure you can accurately guess my feelings about it. Giggle Wink  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 12, 2021 1:32 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I've watched the last two episodes, but there's this long blog post I should be working on, so I don't really feel like typing all my thoughts about them.

Spoiler
Broad Spoilers
I'll just say I appreciated the character development Peter showed in the second to last episode and leave it at that for now.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 15, 2021 10:59 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

After being rather disappointed by Season 2, I completely avoided all spoilers for Season 3, other than being aware that they were filming it. 

The trailer for Season 3 has just released and I did go ahead and watched it and.... I'm tentatively excited again! There was clearly additional stuff in there that doesn't need to be in there, but I also saw glimpses of several of my favorite Bible stories, so I'm hopeful!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 17, 2022 8:22 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Yesterday I did something I've never done before in my life. I went to the movie theater ALL BY MYSELF!! LOL My husband allowed me to escape my children for two and a half hours so I could go see the first two episodes of the Chosen season 3 in movie theaters. 

I will avoid specific spoilers for now, though if I have some time (unlikely) I may come back and edit this post to put them in, but what I will say is that it was very good. VERY good. What I saw felt like the filmmakers came back around to the same level of quality as Season 1. And as of my typing this post, I don't have a single criticism of those two episodes. Shocked After opening with the

Spoiler
Sermon on the Mount (yaaaaay!)

there were not a whole lot of direct stories straight out of the Bible (though there were some!!), but there were a lot of obvious moments that are setting up for them later. 

One general spoiler

Spoiler
it feels like a big theme of this season will be showing what the disciples are sacrificing to follow Jesus.

And a second general spoiler

Spoiler
it was also refreshing to see some spiritual growth and maturity instead of fighting between the disciples.

Has anyone else gone to the theaters to see The Chosen episodes? Or is everyone else waiting for it to come out on the app? I'm ready to watch it again! Applause  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 21, 2022 1:33 pm
johobbit liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

There weren't any showings in theaters near me. Sad But the first episode (not the second one yet) can be watched on YouTube now. 

The Chosen Global Livestream: Season 3, Episode One - YouTube

I thought it was fine, but I also think I'm OK with the fact that I didn't have to pay or go all the way to a cinema (the nearest one to me is an hour's drive away) to see it. It wasn't the most interesting episode. Giggle Then again, that may have been because so much of it was setting up for the rest of the season. If I'd watched episodes one and two back-to-back, maybe I'd have been more invested in the story. 

Anyway, I found an interesting review of the season premiere. Please note that I when I call something interesting that doesn't mean I agree with it. In some cases, it's a polite way of saying the opposite. Wink The views expressed in that article certainly aren't all mine, but they do make for an interesting read.

Premiere Of ‘The Chosen’ Season Three Is A Triumphant Mixed Bag (religionunplugged.com)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2022 8:20 am
fantasia liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Sorry for two posts in a row but I've got some more thoughts on a recently introduced character. 

Spoiler
If You Haven't Watched the New Episodes
The actors who play Judas Iscariot and his sister are great so far and their characters are basically well written, but I feel vaguely disappointed by them.

It apparently used to be common for Judas to be portrayed as unlikeable as possible from the beginning in dramatic retellings of the gospel. More recently, it became conventional for him to be a tragic villain whose fall you dread as you watch his early discipleship. (My favorite gospel retelling is The Man Born to be King by Dorothy Sayers. I can't make up my mind whether the character arc she came up with for Judas is brilliant or ridiculously contrived. Giggle ) Watching The Chosen's Judas in the first episode of season 3, I actually kind of wish they had gone with an obviously evil Judas, even though it makes less sense, just because that would be more of a surprise at this point. LOL I mean they're not ripping off any specific portrayal of Judas (I don't remember anyone else giving him a sister) but it doesn't feel as original as their new takes on, say, Matthew or Nicodemus.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Col Klink

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2022 7:05 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Glad to have a fellow Chosen watcher. Hi @col-klink! Wave  

Re: your spoiler.

Spoiler
In my opinion, they need to outwardly portray Judas as a good guy. All the way up to the Last Supper, none of the disciples suspected him. Even when Jesus practically told them who the betrayer was, they still missed it. 
The Bible makes it clear Judas was all about the money towards the end of his time with Jesus, and they seem to be setting it up nicely so far. 

There are a set of four books (one big story) within the Shannara series by Terry Brooks, 'The Scions of Shannara,' 'The Druid of Shannara,' 'The Elf Queen of Shannara,' and 'the Talismans of Shannara.' Have you ever read them Col Klink? There's a character in one of them, I THINK 'Druid,' that's introduced as the main bad guy of that particular book. HE knows he's a bad guy, but no one else does (or so he thinks), and at the end of the story *SPOILERS* he finds out he was chosen to be part of the group, not to be the hero, but to kill one of the characters who has to die to save the cursed land. And it destroys him. Sound familiar? Anyways, that particular character has forever stuck with me because he makes me think of Judas Iscariot every single time I reread those stories. And while it may not be a perfect representation because I don't think Judas started off evil, I find it a very insightful look into how Judas may have lived his final days.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the second episode next week. Smile I liked it better. Well, I say that, the two episodes pretty well blended together and maybe I should say that I liked them equally, but for different reasons. Giggle Wink  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 14, 2022 7:26 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Spoiler
Not Really Spoilers But They're a Followup To Stuff I've Put In Spoilers Already
@fantasia I theoretically agree with you entirely that having Judas start out as a sympathetic character makes the most dramatic sense. I believe I even mentioned that any obviously evil Judas doesn't make much sense, though I did so as part of a long sentence, so I'm not surprised if anyone didn't notice. Theoretically, I think the way they're writing the character of Judas is great. But in practice, I don't love it and I think it's because I get the vibe that the writers (does the show have multiple writers or just one?) think they're being more creative than they actually are. Even you mentioned that you guessed Judas's identity in the season finale before the dialogue revealed it. Like it was supposed to be a twist, but it was predictable.

I'm interested in Episode 2. A lot of Episode 1 felt like moving chess pieces around. Once they're all where they're supposed to be it'll really get good. Also, while I was very curious to see the Season 3 premiere, I wasn't particularly in the mood when I watched the first episode and my mind kept wandering. I mostly just watched it when I did because I was scared it would get taken down before I had the chance. Maybe I should watch it again or maybe I need to rewatch older episodes to get reinvested in the characters and story. It's been a while.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2022 9:58 pm
Page 4 / 6
Share: