Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Greta Gerwig to Write and Direct At Least 2 Narnia Films for Netflix

Page 14 / 15
Fivefootnowt
(@fivefootnowt)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I haven’t read all the posts here re Greta Gerwig but I’m feeling slightly disappointed.  I feel Netflix have chosen the current “hottest choice” of director rather than the right director for the books.  I do hope I’m proved wrong.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2023 12:16 pm
Col Klink liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, I think with Greta Gerwig writing and directing Narnia, it will obviously be her style of storytelling, as many directors are known for doing. For instance, f you look at the two film treatments of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: the 1973 Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory is a classic; 2005 Charlie And The Charlie Factory is dark and quirky, then of course, it's Tim Burton's style of storytelling.

So Greta Gerwig's directing of Narnia will be obviously be done her storytelling.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2023 8:05 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

Well, I think with Greta Gerwig writing and directing Narnia, it will obviously be her style of storytelling, as many directors are known for doing. For instance, f you look at the two film treatments of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: the 1973 Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory is a classic; 2005 Charlie And The Charlie Factory is dark and quirky, then of course, it's Tim Burton's style of storytelling.

Well, I didn't really like either of those movies, so that sounds rather dire to my ears. Giggle

Charlie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factories | The Adaptation Station.com

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for a director or screenwriter's own voice coming through in an adaptation BTW.On the contrary, I'd describe some of my favorite adaptations as "duets" between the original author's voice and those of the adapters. But not all duets are created equal. I thought Greta Gerwig's voice and Louisa May Alcott's voices complemented each other. Maybe they weren't exactly the same, but they complemented each other. Sadly, I'm not seeing how C. S. Lewis's voice and Greta Gerwig's voice would harmonize well. But, hey, like Fivefootnowt says, you never know, 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2023 10:13 am
LentenLands
(@lentenlands)
NarniaWeb Regular

Looks like Greta Gerwig will be appearing in husband and (probable) Narnia co-screenwriter Noah Baumbach's latest film. However, I don't think there should be much of a delay, if any, with her Narnia film.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/noah-baumbachs-next-film-cast-netflix-1235857981/

For one thing, this would've all been planned very far in advance, and it's also a big ensemble film with a huge cast, so her role will probably not require a lot of time on set.

Not to mention the fact that it will be shooting in the UK, where she's going to be working on pre-production anyway. Who knows? Maybe some of the cast and crew will end up working on her Narnia film. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by LentenLands
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2024 2:03 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I was noticing that the upcoming director has an alliterative name, with initials 'GG' . (so does Andrew Adamson! - who we referred to as Son of Adam)

'Greta' is German, short for 'Margareta' meaning 'a pearl'. 
'Gerwig' comes from two Old High German words meaning 'spear' and 'battle'.   

Does that give us confidence for handling Narnia's precious things and its battles?

[this is not meant to be a joke, just a thought]

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2024 11:37 pm
WhiteStag
(@whitestag)
NarniaWeb Newbie

It's Happening!!

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/netflixs-the-chronicles-of-narnia-movie-eyes-august-2024-filming-start/

Also, August 2024-March 2025 is a long filming schedule. Two films back to back?? 

If it's Shepperton Studios I'll drive down there myself lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2024 10:37 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Wow, I feel like this is the news we've all been waiting 6 years for!

I wonder if they have the cast picked out yet...I'm dying to see if any of us had any accurate predictions!

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2024 12:38 pm
coracle liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

August 2024 is less than 4 months away.

According to this interview with William Moseley, the audition process for the child roles in the Walden Movies took 18 months.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/3555614/William-Moseley-on-Prince-Caspian.html

Unless they have a plan to turbo boost their way through the audition process this time, it perhaps means they've been doing alot more pre-production work under the radar that we've not heard about?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2024 2:39 pm
Col Klink liked
WhiteStag
(@whitestag)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Yes, good point @icarus. Although they may only need to cast two children this time, rather than four?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2024 3:03 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

As long as they are casting children, I'll be happy. If they start with teenagers, they will lose my support - unless they are small and young looking. Compare Lucy in PC and VDT Walden films - Georgie at 11 was excellent. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2024 3:22 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @whitestag

Yes, good point @icarus. Although they may only need to cast two children this time, rather than four?

True. And it could be that they might just skip the audition process entirely and opt for hiring established child actors that they already know about.

But either way, 4 months seems like like a vanishingly small amount of time to get everything done. They must have been secretly hiring casting directors and production designers at the very least... If the rumour is accurate that is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2024 3:29 pm
WhiteStag liked
LentenLands
(@lentenlands)
NarniaWeb Regular

@whitestag Possibly, but it still might be too short for a two-movie shoot. After all, the 2005 LWW filmed for an even longer period of time. 

Even if Gerwig's films cut down on a lot of the action (quite possible) there are still the base limitations of complex effects sequences and just how few hours children can actually work on a movie set. 

I'd be willing to bet that this has been prepping for a while now to some degree or another, probably since Autumn/Winter of last year. 

Plus, Netflix outright controlling Shepperton (Longcross, too iirc) and Gerwig having just made a big effects film in the UK right before, probably helped save a bit of time, too. 

This post was modified 20 hours ago 8 times by LentenLands
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2024 6:02 am
WhiteStag
(@whitestag)
NarniaWeb Newbie
Posted by: @lentenlands

After all, the 2005 LWW filmed for an even longer period of time. 

Ah yes, you're right. That schedule makes sense for the first movie then.

and just how few hours children can actually work on a movie set. 

Also true, I'd forgotten this.

I'd be willing to bet that this has been prepping for a while now to some degree or another, probably since Autumn/Winter of last year. 

My thoughts too. But I need to curb my excitement and not get too carried away, while it remains a rumour!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2024 6:50 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @whitestag

It's Happening!!

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/netflixs-the-chronicles-of-narnia-movie-eyes-august-2024-filming-start/

Also, August 2024-March 2025 is a long filming schedule. Two films back to back?? 

If it's Shepperton Studios I'll drive down there myself lol.

Hmmm, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. "We're currently hearing" sounds too much like British tabloid newspaper-speak — "Sources close to the Palace say...", when they in fact don't have any verifiable information at all and are either reading too much into a someone-said-that-someone-said-that-someone-said game of "telephone*", or they're possibly just outright making stuff up. I suppose we'll know for sure in August, if not sooner.

It's certainly possible that they've quietly been doing more pre-production work than we've heard about, but I'll wait until we have some definite action before I start getting on the edge of my seat in anticipation...

* Meaning the game we called "Chinese Whispers" when I was little, but that name is now understandably politically incorrect — although I wouldn't personally be offended if in China they play the same game and call it "English Whispers", but never mind. Giggle  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2024 2:23 pm
WhiteStag liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

It is something, though I think @courtenay brings up a good point about not getting too excited just yet. Greta Gerwig and her team would obviously have to figure out casting and filming locations.

I'm sure there's many places to choose from for filming. Maybe England or Scotland or Wales or Ireland. Spain would also be idea. Maybe Scandinavia as well.

And as for casting, I would be interested who Greta and her team would cast in two Narnia films. They would certainly need 2 child actors for MN and 4 child actors in LWW (if they were going in that order). Though their ages don't have to match a 100% to what the Narnia Timeline gives. But it would certainly be a plus if they were close enough.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2024 5:38 pm
Page 14 / 15
Share: