Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Pens...

SonofStone
(@sonofstone)
NarniaWeb Regular

Ok, I know what you are thinking "Wow, now we are talking about pens now?!?!" But, I am a homeschooler, and more especially a Challenge A student. That means I have 6 subjects of school and though I don't usually get though 6 a day, I still do 4-5 subjects a day (about 3-6 hour, depending on how heavy my load is) so I am spending 3-6 hours a day with a pen in my hand, so naturally I have become a bit of a pen snob. Right now, my favorite is the Pentel RSVP Ballpoint (capped, not clicky), I am not really sure what line size it is, I would guess fine. It is a great pen, and I prefer it to the G2 or Pilot V5/V7 because the line is less dark and somewhat thinner (so thus I can write smaller, and my hand righting be legible). I got it at Dollar General (of all place). So, what is your favorite, and do you have a recommendation for me?

This is the link to the Pentel website, and more especially the pen... R.S.V.P.® Ballpoint Pen — Pentel of America, Ltd.

Child of the King: SonofStone

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Topic starter Posted : May 4, 2021 12:33 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Ah, a thread after my own heart - or hand!

I am the last generation taught to write with a dip-pen,  one with a nib attached to a wooden handle. We had an inkwell in the hole in the front corner or our school desk, and we dipped our pen in about halfway, and wrote using the ink now in the nib. We were careful not to smudge it, but used blotting paper to remove excess ink,  and let the words dry.

This is what C.S.Lewis apparently preferred to use.

After a year we were promoted to using fountain pens. Much more efficient as they have their own ink supply in the (wider) handle.

EDIT: I haven't really answered your question, sorry.  I can't say that I have favourite types of pen. Much of my choice of ballpoint pen will have been based on cost, but I can say I like a fine-point rather than medium, for ordinary writing, and hate having to push hard down as I write. I seldom use the fancier sort (eg metallic, gels, glitter).

The most popular brand in NZ is Bic.

When I was a child Biro was the best known brand here, and many people still call it a biro, but my parents insisted we said 'ballpoint'. 🙂 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : May 4, 2021 2:12 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Bic Cristal Original for me. I have tried writing with a fountain pen, but I have a terrible time holding it correctly! Giggle  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : May 4, 2021 4:51 pm
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus

The pen I've come to prefer the last few years is a Bic Atlantis. It has a really comfortable grip and sits well in my hand. I almost can't stand using any other kind of pen now.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

Posted : May 4, 2021 5:26 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
Posted by: @courtenay

Bic Cristal Original for me. I have tried writing with a fountain pen, but I have a terrible time holding it correctly! Giggle  

I wonder how many people under 30 have been taught good pencil/pen grip. I've seen a few younger adults with weird grip, and horrible writing - some only know how to print rather poorly.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : May 4, 2021 6:59 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @coracle

I wonder how many people under 30 have been taught good pencil/pen grip. I've seen a few younger adults with weird grip, and horrible writing - some only know how to print rather poorly.

I resemble this.  My mom has joked that I should become a doctor because of my penmanship (except I'm terrible at math, so that's not gonna happen). 

That said, a buddy of mine makes custom pens - he made a really neat one for me.  Definitely my favourite pen that I own.  It's got a blue stone handle and brass rings/cap.  Looks and feels like something a wizard would use. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

Posted : May 4, 2021 9:10 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @coracle
Posted by: @courtenay

Hmmm... I've held my pencil or pen "the wrong way" ever since I first learned how to write at school (over 30 years ago). My Prep grade teacher (first year of primary school) was horrified and kept trying to make me use the "correct" grip, with a holder that fitted over the pencil. I just could not hold it steady that way and could not write neatly. Every time Mrs H wasn't looking, I reverted to my usual "wrong" grip, which felt so much more comfortable and natural. As soon as I was out of her class, I adopted it permanently. No other teacher ever bothered me about it and I ended up as one of the neatest writers in my year level, all through school. I still use the "wrong" grip and still have very neat handwriting (except when I'm in a hurry!) to this day.

In fact, it was only years later — when a fountain pen aficionado offered to let me use one — that I found out that the main reason for the traditional "correct" grip is that it's the only way you can get a nib pen to write properly. Makes perfect sense if you like to use one! But kids aren't taught to use them at school any more (unless you do calligraphy in art class!) and 99% of adults, too, always use a ballpoint pen for writing. And I've seen plenty of kids and adults who use the "correct" grip and still have terrible handwriting, so grip obviously isn't the only factor... Tongue Wink  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : May 5, 2021 1:34 am
coracle
(@coracle)

@courtenay that's so interesting about grip being for correct pen hold! 

I used to hold my pencil with one more finger than the taught way, probably because my fingers were small. Some time in high school or later I realised that I could write with the pen held by the thumb and first finger, and leaning on the second finger, OR held by the thumb and first two fingers, and leaning on the third one.

I know that I can write cursive better using the second hold, and do printing using the first!

Posted : May 5, 2021 4:54 am
SonofStone
(@sonofstone)
NarniaWeb Regular

I have a older brother who is learning calligraphy, and the things he writes are amazing! He is extremely good at it, and it is very interesting to how many methods/forms of writing he wants/is learning to use, it is also interesting to see the types of pens he is using... not that I know anything much about them. Anyway, I wonder if learning a higher level of writing (like calligraphy) makes you more proficient at it?

Child of the King: SonofStone

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Topic starter Posted : May 5, 2021 3:45 pm
johobbit liked
Share: