Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Help With Wordpress

Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I recently started a blog on Wordpress and I'm having a little trouble. I've been trying to do specific header images for each post. I feel like that'll make them look more visually interesting when I share them on Facebook. But while in some instances, I'm able to replace the header image, in other instances I can't. And there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. What's more, even when I have created a specific header image for a post, that image still doesn't show up on Facebook. 

Is there anyone out there with Wordpress experience who can offer me some input?

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Topic starter Posted : May 11, 2021 9:57 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about programming. I will go ahead and tag @Rose, but I also know that she's super duper busy right now. 

Hopefully you can get some help @col-klink.

Posted : May 15, 2021 7:17 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Hi @Col-Klink, first things first, are you uploading the image as the featured image in the post editor?

(Nice avatar, btw. Giggle )

Posted : May 15, 2021 10:44 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@rose I'm able to make the uploaded images I want as headers fine in drafts. They always appear as the Featured Image there. But when I publish or preview the posts, the header image for the entire blog is what appears. It's mainly uploaded illustrations that don't seem to work. I can sometimes get it to work with uploaded photos (thought not always then either; I really don't get it) but illustrations would really be better for my blog. 

On my last post, I decided to bite the bullet and just have a photo be the header. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I figured when I shared the post on Facebook, it'd look more intriguing than my blog's normal header, which all my Facebook friends have seen. But when I shared it there, the image in the preview was neither of those, but instead the first image from the post proper. No idea  

This post was modified 3 years ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Topic starter Posted : May 16, 2021 11:41 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I think I might have found the problem. There's a minimum image requirement of 200 x 200 pixels for the preview on Facebook, and the header on your most recent post is 940 x 198. I'd try taking a look at the other posts and see if this makes sense based on which posts successfully previewed the image on Facebook and which ones didn't.

This page has more information on the ideal size for a featured image: https://wordpress.com/support/facebook-image-thumbnail/

Let me know if this does the trick!

Posted : May 16, 2021 8:29 pm
Col Klink liked
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

I've been having irritations with Wordpress (R) since they changed their editor to "Gutenberg." It shreds links before my eyes. I enter it correctly and press UPDATE. Lo and behold, the link changes to something like kitten typing. Though that's unfair to kittens,

(I know WP doesn't like The Tube of You -- probably to avoid copyright quarrels -- but these links were both clean and varied.)

The "WP Classic Editor" is available for a financial transaction which I have not paid. Curiously, the classic editor sometimes pops up if I'm online for more than a few minutes. It's much less accident-prone. I miss it.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

Posted : May 19, 2021 4:58 pm
Col Klink liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Rose-Tree's article explained the Facebook thing, I think, but it didn't explain why I can't get featured images to work. Does anyone have an explanation for that? I understand if no one does. It's just that it'd be nice.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a way to use different colored ink in WordPress? In my blog, I sometimes talk about the endings of movies because my blog is about adaptations and changes made to the end of a story are usually the most interesting. It'd be great if I could use a different colored ink for writing about sections that some of my readers might not want spoiled.

Topic starter Posted : May 28, 2021 10:46 am
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

On some WP posts you can use < spoiler >your words here< / spoiler >. (Take out the spaces).

You would see a gray fog over the hidden text.

See also this HTML codes page ( https://www.web-source.net/html_codes_chart.htm )

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by The Old Maid

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

Posted : May 29, 2021 3:09 pm
Col Klink liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Now most of the images in one series of posts I did (about the movie Les Misérables) have mysteriously disappeared. (And weirdly not all of them, just most, even though they all came from the same site.) "It was as if the gods themselves had first laughed, and then spat, in my face." Frustrated  

EDIT: And now some of them are back, but not all of them. No idea Apparently, it's a jetpack issue. I don't know what that means.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Col Klink

Topic starter Posted : August 18, 2021 2:12 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I've fixed my problem, I think. On a day when most of the images were there, I made an archived version of the page and then replaced all the images on the main one with the ones from that. I just hope it'll stay fixed. 

Topic starter Posted : December 3, 2021 10:59 am
Share: