Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Page 60 / 60
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Our cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen, I saw several yesterday that probably can be picked today. My brother's brandywines are getting really big, they look amazing, but no change in color yet. These are plants he grew from seeds in just his second year of gardening. Grin

And both varieties of pumpkins have blossoms that were pollinated this year. One is a Jack Be Little, which are so cute, and I can't remember the name of the large one. Both varieties are being trellised this year, they seem to be doing well.

We also have corn that is super tall, okra that is coming along slowly (it was a replant after the first planting got washed away by rain), watermelons, cantaloupe (volunteers again), tomatillos (mostly volunteers), cucumbers, onions, peppers (three or four varieties), zucchini, and beans (three varieties).

In addition to a few cherry tomatoes, we've harvested zucchini and it had for four meals + cake this month. Thumbs up And today sis is harvesting contender green beans and burgundy beans for supper. Grin  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2023 10:30 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

My mom has been participating in a community garden in our area. She planted potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos, carrots, and leeks there.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2023 6:04 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

It's the middle of winter here, but we've had a few mild days. My gardener and lawnmower man have both made an impact on the neglected look of my garden. (Gardener comes every 2 weeks if its not raining), and the lawn man when I ask him , if the grass is looking overgrown). A cold snap is coming this afternoon. Maybe next week I can start buying new plants for planting in spring.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2023 9:26 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

That is really cool, @jasmine_tarkheena, that your mom is involved in the community garden. These types of plots are such an excellent idea.

It's true, eh, coracle? If a garden gets left, it eventually grows out of control. I know every day, pretty much, I have to be out there weeding and tending (which I love, but one does have to make sure to plan it into their day). Smile  

We are wanting to put up a natural fence, because our new neighbours to the east are not what the previous neighbours were. Tongue We hardly have any fences in our little hamlet. If people have anything up, it's natural greenery, which is lovely. Anyway, we are looking at Emerald Cedars, which we have read are some of the best kind, and grow at a rate of one-two feet per year. Does anyone here have this type of cedar? If so, what is your experience with it?

In other news, with all this unusual and welcome July rain we have had, our gardens are bursting at the seams. Grin   Both vegetable (two) and floral (many).

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 8:17 am
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)

@jo I'm wondering whether to relocate my Oakleaf Hydrangea.  As I know you also have one, can you tell me how tall it's grown, and how much sun it gets ? I just read that they don't need pruning, just cutting off dead flowers. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2023 8:13 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

@coracle, our Oakleaf Hydrangea is a nice size now—full and round—especially compared with the sweet, small thing from 2016 that we planted all together in memory of qwertykate. Below are links to a couple of recent photos. The plant receives around eight hours of sunlight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MsDEVyLShxXNamv56

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8c7SbsG4Y4WJx1Pk6

The thing is, it hasn't had a lot of blooms yet. We get one or two each summer, but I'd sure love to see more. Other than that lack, the Oakleaf is looking really healthy.

Re our private hedge I mentioned above: after a fair bit of personal research, and inquiring at a trustworthy garden centre in town, we are settled on Emerald Cedars. They will look really lovely, planted along the eastern side of our property. Smile

^ Stock photo, not mine. Of course, it will be a few years before ours reach this height. Giggle We are now debating whether to purchase the 5' or 3'. We actually may end up purchasing a combination of heights.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2023 9:01 am
coracle
(@coracle)

I've begun my vege planting at last; I've been a lot later than in the previous two years, as winter was colder and longer this year. So, I've planted 2 rows of broccoli and cauliflower seedlings, and some butter beans (they may grow, but they are a few years old).
I did this after working hard mowing my lawns; the man who usually comes is away this month, so I'm filling in with my small electric mower. It's hard work as I'm not very fit or strong.
I'd already put in some flower seedlings: sweet peas to climb up two places, and zinnias to help fill space in the flower bed I can see from the lounge. I'm not putting much in, as I won't be here during November & December, and my house sitter isn't a keen gardener.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2023 11:07 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Back in April, my outdoor-loving daughter got two carnivorous plants for her birthday -- a venus fly trap and a pitcher plant. The pitcher plant spent most of the year growing, and only early Fall did it FINALLY develop some cute little pitchers that as far as I can tell haven't caught a thing. Just the wrong time of year.

However, the Venus Fly Trap.... oh my goodness. I finally lost count halfway through the summer at 35 flies, but by the end of summer, my estimate is over 70 flies (and a handful of gnats, one mosquito, and one jumping spider) that this plant has consumed. It has grown and grown and grown and needs to be divided which I'm TERRIFIED of trying. Needless to say, I love this plant and my daughter has really enjoyed it as well.

So naturally for Christmas this year, I'm planning to expand her carnivorous plant collection. I had heard of Sundew plants before, and my local gardening center has one I'm going to snag in the next couple weeks. But entirely by accident, I discovered a whole new family of carnivorous plants called Butterworts (isn't this a name in Harry Potter? Anyways....). So, I ordered my daughter a set of three from a seller on etsy and I can't wait to get them. OK Talk about secretly buying for yourself.... 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 1, 2023 7:42 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@fantasia Great to hear the Venus Fly Trap is trapping away merrily! Grin  They are popular in Australia too, and I always wanted one when I was little, but never managed to get one.

Maybe you could find someone locally who's an expert or at least more experienced than you are — perhaps from the local garden centre — who could show you how to separate and repot the plant without damaging it? Hey, then you'll have TWO Venus Fly Traps, and potentially more to come, so you could start treating more family members and friends to them... Thumbs up  

I haven't heard of Butterworts, but they do sound very interesting. Hope the Sundews are a success as well!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2023 11:50 pm
fantasia liked
johobbit
(@jo)

@fantasia, what a great post! That is so cool about the Venus Fly Trap. Grin I love your daughter's interest in All Things Outdoors! Reading this is causing me to really want a Fly Trap in our home. Are they a lot of care? I was going to suggest, too, that you contact your garden centre for how best to transplant. I would very much like to see a photo of the trap, recalling one you posted when you first purchased it. What an absolutely fascinating plant! And keep us posted on the Butterworts and Sundews! (Yes, I think the Bws are mentioned in HP.)

Our gardening and yard work has been done for bit now, considering we received 8-10" of snow this past week. Grin Most leaves are mowed and mulched (we have 15 maples on our property), so with the exception of some stragglers in the extensive flower beds, our Autumn work is over.

Btw, we did end up purchasing twelve 5' emerald cedars in the early Autumn (30% off, hurrah!), which are doing very well. We watered them abundantly and faithfully until after the first frost; now we need to protect them for the cold, snowy winter ahead, as there is a huge farmer's field behind us (south) and to the west, so the wind and elements really whip in there.

My 12 or so amaryllis bulbs from the garden are safely tucked downstairs in the cool and dark until mid-January, when I will bring them up to re-grow them. How I love seeing that first teensy peek of a bud a couple of weeks after they are out in the light again, and watered. Then it's time to encourage folk by gifting them (keeping a couple back for ourselves) when winter is at its darkest. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2023 4:33 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @jo

Reading this is causing me to really want a Fly Trap in our home. Are they a lot of care? I was going to suggest, too, that you contact your garden centre for how best to transplant.

They're not hard to care for at all. However, because mine has become SO overgrown, it's thirsty and I have to water it twice a day. 
Care: plant it in a medium that has next to no nutrients. Anything with fertilizer will kill it. We have ours in peat moss. 
Ours sits in a plastic glass that we keep filled with DISTILLED WATER ONLY!!! Tap water will kill it. 
And then it sits in our kitchen window. It prefers indirect sunlight, but now that it's winter and we have the sun streaming in the window, I haven't noticed any adverse effects. 
When the leaves get old and turn black, just break them off and throw them away.

As for dividing it, I know in theory how to do it. You pull them out of the moss so they're bare root and then with a sterilized knife cut the roots apart and then replant. Easy right? I'm just terrified of killing it. lol

Posted by: @courtenay

Hey, then you'll have TWO Venus Fly Traps, and potentially more to come, so you could start treating more family members and friends to them... Thumbs up  

Yeah, I can see at least four separate plants on mine at least. It's so bushy I can't tell if there are more than that or not. But I do have one friend who has already laid claim to one when I finally get the courage to dissect them. Giggle  

https://ibb.co/gPnrTBf

https://ibb.co/MfVJSmH

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 2, 2023 9:36 am
johobbit
(@jo)

Thanks for the photos and the care description, fantasia. The Fly Trap looks so unique, intricate, beautiful. I am saving your post (email notification) in case I find one around here. I am determined to get one now that I hear more of your story!

Posted by: @fantasia

You pull them out of the moss so they're bare root and then with a sterilized knife cut the roots apart and then replant. Easy right? I'm just terrified of killing it. lol

Understandable! And let's hope that once you pull it out, it will not react with the ear-piercing antics that the Mandrakes did in HP. LOL   Maybe you had better put on earmuffs ... just in case. Giggle  

Posted by: @fantasia

But I do have one friend who has already laid claim to one when I finally get the courage to dissect them. Giggle

If we lived close by, I would totally put a claim on another one! Grin  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2023 10:03 am
Page 60 / 60
Share: