Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Classic Science Fiction

Page 2 / 2
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The movie Fantastic Voyage could be considered classic science fiction. Considering that it was made back in 1966 it was quite remarkable for its special effects, which were made without using modern technology.  It is about a journey through the human body in which made people were miniaturized in a submarine called the Proteus.  It is truly an amazing adventure. Movie critics have sometimes underrated it, although it did receive some awards in its time. I like science fiction which is like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells stories and I think it is much more creative and of better quality than than modern films such as The Terminator and The Matrix.  If you have never seen Fantastic Voyage the movie it is well worth watching— especially on Blu-ray disc, which shows the film at its best.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 7, 2022 6:59 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Do you like the models that were used in older science fiction?  I don’t always like it that they are replaced with the modern CGI technology.  Sometimes the models look more artistic to me than the computerized effects, although some people believe that the modern technology makes and TV shows look more real.  The technology makes it easier to create the effects, but perhaps the old way of making movies and TV shows was more creative. I am not always a realist in what I like.  I liked the models used in the original Star Trek of the 1960’s and Gerry Anderson’s puppet shows.  It was probably the best model work made for television.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 12, 2022 9:06 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I just watched the 1960 film version of The Time Machine again and I was even more pleased with the artistic beauty of the movie than than with previous viewings. The movie did not use modern technology, but it looks great on my screen.  Today’s science fiction often doesn’t have the artistic appeal that the older movies had.  And the science fiction films of that time were often based on better stories such as the fantasies of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne. The 1959 film of Journey to the Center of the Earth also looks quite primitive now, but it is still very entertaining to watch with its dated special effects and interesting story. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 27, 2022 8:21 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I like a lot of Asimov, and some Larry Niven as well. And I did enjoy the original Dune although I find the sequels and prequels somewhat messy and depressing for my taste.

I haven't read any of Le Guin's scifi yet. I have started in on her fantasy, though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2023 5:07 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@silverlily 

I liked the original Dune books better than the movie made in the 1980’s.  The movie was rather boring and very tiresome to watch. The TV miniseries made about ten years later wasn’t too bad since it had a better story adaptation, although the books were better.  I never cared much for Isaac Asimov’s books perhaps because they are somewhat technical, but many other people do like them. I liked Arthur C. Clarke’s 2001: A Space Odyssey since it was like real space travel (especially the film). H. G. Wells and Jules Verne are among my favorite science fiction authors.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2023 6:24 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Some of the Star Trek fan videos look more like the old classic science fiction than the modern genre. I like it when they use old fashioned animation. The videos also have the modern CGI effects, but the ships of the Federation often resemble the Enterprise of the original Star Trek with some modifications. This gives the videos a rather classic appearance.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 19, 2023 6:49 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

We were watching six episodes of a Star Wars movie about Obi-Kenobi's life, before he died in Star Wars IV, A new hope, on Disney channel, concerning Princess Leia at the age of 10, & also her twin brother, Luke. It is one of several available at the moment. Other such movie series include The Mandalorian, whilst, so far, there is another on Boba Fett. 

It is a rather predictable movie when we know nobody will be killed when that would contradict all the movies already made. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2023 8:47 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: