Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Page 1 / 2
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I'm soooo excited. I missed them last year thanks to stupid Covid. Who else is watching besides me? 

I'm planning to invest in Peacock TV while they're on so I can watch them on that and on the regular NBC tv. Very much looking forward to it. Grin  

Topic starter Posted : June 12, 2021 9:08 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

How much is Peacock? I might due to equestrian.

Posted : June 12, 2021 4:00 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Depends on which package you get. 

https://www.peacocktv.com/

Scroll down the page to see prices. 

I'll be honest though, while I found out they're showing Olympics stuff on there, I don't know what or how much. But I have no problem paying for a month and then cancelling at the end of that month. 😉

Topic starter Posted : June 12, 2021 5:46 pm
starkat liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I gotta say, I splurged and got the ad-free $10/month subscription from Peacock. Totally worth it! My daughter and I have been watching a replay of the USA vs ITA woman's softball match this afternoon while making a cheesecake. You can see where the ads would be, but instead it just blacks out and we can skip through it.

@starkat, I believe they have the same thing for free, but with ads. If it's not available on the free subscription, it definitely is with the $5/month and you can cancel as soon as the Olympics are over. I'm not 100% clear yet what will be available as a replay on there and what won't, but they're desperately trying to complete with the other billion subscription programs, so I've gotta believe that they'll put a lot of good stuff on there. 

Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2021 2:04 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Our free tv will show all the NZ events, but I hope some other major stuff will be at least reported on news.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : July 22, 2021 2:49 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Yeah, our local station will be showing events for free as well. But beings that America is so big and has so many entries, I don't always get to watch what I like. For example, swimming gets old real fast. I could definitely pass on that one, but it's ALWAYS a priority of what's on. 
And the other issue is that the commercial ads are becoming more and more inappropriate over time and I don't want my kids seeing those. (Frankly, I hate watching them myself.)
So I signed up for this as a bonus. 🙂 

Good luck to your country @coracle 🙂 Do you have any sports you like to watch or any particular contestants you're cheering on?

Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2021 3:17 pm
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

@fantasia thanks. I'll go take a look. I can't afford a subscription to anything right now, so we'll have to see.

Posted : July 22, 2021 3:38 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
Posted by: @fantasia

Good luck to your country @coracle 🙂 Do you have any sports you like to watch or any particular contestants you're cheering on?

No, must confess I haven't watched much for several Olympics. But I will try to watch some athletics and swimming, and find out what else is in this Olympiad!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : July 22, 2021 7:54 pm
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Apparently nothing is really available on the freebie level. Oh well.

Posted : July 23, 2021 10:46 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I've been watching the Olympics the old fashioned way, on broadcast TV. Giggle   Mostly the swimming and gymnastics, since those are among the sports I like to watch (and several of the competitors hail from my neck of the woods).

It was nice to see a non-US medal ceremony (however abbreviated) last night, with "Advance Australia Fair" played for Ariarne Titmus' gold medal in the 400m freestyle event. 

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : July 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Courtenay liked
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

Yesterday (or a day earlier) a Norwegian took a gold medal - in Triathlon!

I didn't watch it, only got it as a news item after the fact.

The journalist quoted what their coach had said in 2012: in 2016 we'll only have one competitor good enough to participate. But when we've worked on it for even four more years, in 2020 we should have 3 competitors and get a medal!

Which is exactly what has happened in 2021, and that medal was gold!

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : July 27, 2021 11:00 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I notice that there are quite a few of the Tokyo Olympic Games events available on You Tube, not necessarily the Aussie ones, which here, on our free to air TV, would naturally be emphasized. It competes now with the end of the NRL/AFL seasons, for coverage, but now with lockdown extended another month, the Tokyo Games have given us all something to watch & discuss, whilst at home.

In past games we wouldn't have noticed so much, being busy about our own concerns. For instance, there was some kind of cross-country cycling event which was quite fascinating to watch, with terrain almost replicating what we would see, in some of our national parks. I don't believe there were any Aussie competitors & it was won by Switzerland. It wasn't the only small country which has done well this time around.

I've noticed some concern about TV ads here. I know such ads can be revolting at times, treading on sensitivities about stereotypes for example. Are there any agencies where complaints can be made about the worst of them? Somewhere where people can write into to state concerns, & their reasons, about anything that looks really offensive? 

@Varnafinde: Yesterday (or a day earlier) a Norwegian took a gold medal - in Triathlon! 

Congratulations to Norway. Cool  

It was really great seeing Ariane Titmuss's gold medal win! You should have seen the write up in the newspapers! It gives us something to cheer about. 

Posted : July 27, 2021 6:27 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

I just looked up the medal table. It seems that my country is currently 12th, with 8 medals. New Zealand has only 5 million people, so this is something to be proud of. (I haven't been glued to the screen)

Edit: Within a short time we were up to 10th, with 4 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze. How proud we are! (10th place on golds, 13th on total)

Posted : July 30, 2021 10:07 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Though I'm hardly the Olympics tragic our eldest daughter (Rachel) is, we have been treated to full on Olympics TV coverage thanks to her relative immobility. It was a nasty break, next to her ankle, last May. But she can walk around a bit now without crutches, whilst wearing her moonboot. There have been two highlights of the Olympics so far, for me. Gold medallist Jessica Fox, who won in a women's canoe event, is a Penrith girl, one of us locals. There is a model of her wearing her Olympic uniform  in our local shopping centre, on display, along with a star from our local NRL Panthers club.  It is great that Australia even briefly got up to be fourth on the medals tally, before being overtaken by ROC. But it is even sweeter when one of the gold medallists is a local girl as well. 

The other highlight for me was Ash Barty's participation at Tokyo, in representing Australia in tennis. No doubt it was probably inevitable she would be there, after her great win at Wimbledon, a month ago.  She wasn't the only international tennis star in that situation. But she still struggled in Tokyo. We watched her & Storm Sanders defeat the People's Republic of China's doubles to get into the quarter final, only to lose to the Czech Republic. So I'm really happy that she & her partner in the Mixed Doubles, John Peers, won the bronze medal & did not have to come home empty-handed. It seems that a reputation for both of them being good-tempered, for tennis stars, was the deciding factor, after all. We were told that it was the first Olympic medal Australia has won for some time, either in the men's or the women's tennis, since the glory days of Todd Woodbridge & Mark Woodforde, who dominated the men's doubles tournaments for a while, until their retirements.

Congratulations for all the other winners as well, including New Zealand, not all that far behind us, as usual Wink . And especially the very proud Fijians who won a gold medal & a bronze medal in Rugby Union. They clearly gave New Zealand, who usually dominates in Rugby Union, a real run for their money. It was great to see so many other nations also competing & winning a bronze or a silver medal as well. Not all of them would have the facilities on hand to represent their countries in wide spreads of sports activities. 

Posted : July 31, 2021 6:59 pm
Courtenay liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I've enjoyed watching the Olympics the past couple weeks (perhaps spending too much time doing so), but I also liked watching the closing ceremonies (though it seemed NBC cut to commercials way too often). During the ceremonial handoff to the next city, they played the French national anthem from various locations in Paris - but the part I liked best was when French astronaut Thomas Pesquet finished the song playing his saxophone from the ISS. What an honor that must have been!

He and Japanese astronaut Aki Hoshide also performed their own little flag handoff ceremony in space (scroll down here to watch).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : August 8, 2021 8:48 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: