Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Best Nature/ Science Documentaries

Page 1 / 4
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wanted to start a thread about the nature and science documentaries that have been on television during the years.  Some may go back fifty years or more. Probably some of the younger members of this forum may not have seen them.  They are all great television as far as I am concerned.  Here are some of the ones I remember watching and enjoying:

Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins

Cosmos with Carl Sagan

National Geographic Specials

Profiles of Nature 

PBS’ Nature  hosted and narrated by George Page during the 1980’s

Nova

The Astronomers PBS series

The Wild, Wild, World of Animals narrated by William Conrad

Marty Stouffer’s Wild America

The Nature of Things with David Sazuki

Lorne Greene’s New .Wilderness

The
World of Survival with John Forsythe

Jack Hanna’s Animal Adventures 

Planet Earth and Planet Earth II and The Blue Planet and The Blue Planet II  by David Attenborough. There are many other great series which he created or was involved in, including Life, Africa, Madagascar, A Perfect Planet, Dynasties, and Seven Worlds One Planet.

I am not sure if people here will remember all of these, but I think they are some of the best television series ever made. Did you watch and enjoy any of these shows?  If you have some favorites of own please mention them here.  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2021 2:25 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

It isn't a TV series, so I don't know if it counts....

Growing up, we watched Animals are Beautiful People(1974) quite often.  It has footage apparently shot while they were filming The Gods Must be Crazy (which we didn't watch).  There's not much narration, but it contains some quite memorable scenes, paired with classical music.

Might have watched nature documentaries in the '80's, when visiting my grandparents, but wouldn't have a clue which ones they were.  All I really remember was Bob Ross (and other painting shows) and the Lawrence Welk Show Smile  

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2021 10:54 am
Narnian78 liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I remember growing up with Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. All I really remember were the sponsor commercials and Marlin's famous line to the effect "I'll watch from a safe distance while Jim approaches the deadly alligators."

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2021 11:41 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@stargazer

I bought Wild Kingdom on DVD. The eight sets contain about eighty 25 minute episodes, which is a lot of the series but not all of it. I also own the complete series of Planet Earth and The Blue Planet on  DVD and Blu-ray.  I also love PBS’ Nature and own a lot of that series.  The shows have such interesting photography which makes them appealing and very enjoyable to watch over and over again. It seems like the BBC has some of the best nature documentaries, although PBS has done a great job for many years with Nature.  PBS used to have more wildlife shows like Marty Stouffer’s Wild America, and occasionally Nova would have an animal documentary. There were shows like Cosmos which made astronomy interesting.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2021 12:08 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Not a TV series, but The Riot and the Dance is my favorite, there's only two so far: Earth and Water. Both are terrific minus the snakes, not a fan of the snakes. I dont wanna see  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2021 12:38 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@snowangel

Posted by: @snowangel

Not a TV series, but The Riot and the Dance is my favorite, there's only two so far: Earth and Water. Both are terrific minus the snakes, not a fan of the snakes. I dont wanna see  

SnowAngel

I don’t think I have seen either of those.  Although snakes are not my favorite animals I might even like a documentary that has them. I kind of enjoyed Steve Irwin’s The Crocodile Hunter, but I liked Steve Irwin much better than than the crocodiles. Remember when he said “Crikey!” ? It’s so too bad that he’s gone.  He was such an excellent host.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2021 12:48 pm
SonofStone
(@sonofstone)
NarniaWeb Regular

SnowAngel

You took the words right out of my mouth, I am a massive fan of The Riot and the Dance, but I sadly haven't been able to watch the 2nd one yet. Anyway, my family always enjoyed Marty Stouffer’s Wild America, especially some of his more comedic episodes. On the whole, I really appreciate a good, christian nature documentary, but I also do enjoy Discovery and National Geographic (I see more of the latter, seeing as we have Disney+), but I don't like the evolution and "were killing the environment!" agendas in these, but the visuals are stunning!

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2021 3:05 pm
SnowAngel liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

There were also space documentaries like From the Earth to the Moon which was hosted and narrated by Tom Hanks.  I have it on blu-ray when it was released again for the fiftieth anniversary of the moon landing in 2019.  The documentary itself was made in 1998 and had some beautiful special effects for that time.  It quite accurate to history and well portrayed the lives of the astronauts. There is also the film Apollo 11, which has the clearest footage of that mission and the moon landing.   The PBS special 8 Days to the Moon and Back has the astronauts’ voices with recreated footage. The technology to show the realism of space flight exists today, but during the 1960’s only photography and simple TV cameras were there to record the events. The DVD is well worth viewing.  All of these documentaries are great for learning about the space program and its achievements.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2021 6:38 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I really liked the new, very clear footage in Apollo 11 - especially the launch and pre-launch segments. It was rather strange seeing 60s-style fashions (among the spectators) in such crystal clear clarity.

Another series I can recommend is When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions, a 6-episode miniseries created by the Discovery Channel in 2008. It begins with Project Mercury, continues with Gemini and the Apollo landings in some detail, and ends with the shuttle and Hubble Space Telescope missions. It has some excellent footage of the missions that I hadn't seen before. (I found the special features rather disappointing as they show launch replays to music rather than the usual sounds of the launch).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2021 10:43 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@stargazer

I own the Apollo 11 blu-ray, and I am amazed at how good it looks on my 40 inch TV screen. I don’t think I have ever seen When We Left Earth.  It would be nice if the networks would show the programs more often than just on the anniversaries of the events.  Recently I bought The First Man on the Moon, a biography of Neil Armstrong on DVD.  It was a Nova episode and a very good story of Armstrong’s life.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2021 11:42 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Not a TV series, but The Riot and the Dance is my favorite, there's only two so far: Earth and Water.

I was wondering if someone would mention this series. I have not seen it myself, but N.D. Wilson helped produce it, so I've watched the trailers for it. When my animal-loving daughter gets a little older I'll probably buy it for her.

And since I have little kids, I have to throw in a nod for Wild Kratts because they watched that show A LOT a year or two ago. My youngest still does on occasion. It's pretty silly, but it has a lot of good nature facts thrown in. 

Posted by: @stargazer

Another series I can recommend is When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions, a 6-episode miniseries created by the Discovery Channel in 2008.

Love, love, love this series. @narnian78, you must get a copy and watch it!!! It's my favorite space documentary series. I bought it for my son a few years back, but he prefers Apollo 11 and the Traveler's Guide to the Planets

I'm hoping someone on here can help me out, a year or two ago, I watched a show on space that I would say, while not explicitly Christian, I would classify it under intelligent design. It basically talked about how life could exist on Earth ONLY because it fell under the qualifications of being a certain distance from the Sun, the Sun being the perfect size and heat, the Earth having a certain tilt and rotation speed, etc etc. And then it went on to talk about the location in our Milky Way Galaxy being perfect for allowing us to view the rest of the universe in which we live. 
For the life of me I cannot remember the name of that show! (I would guess it came out in the 90s or 2000s.) Does anybody have a clue what it might be? I'd like to buy it if I can find it again. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2021 2:31 pm
SnowAngel liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@fantasia

Sometime I will look for When We Left Earth (perhaps online).  I would recommend From the Earth to the Moon if you like something about the beginning of the space program. Of course the astronauts are played by actors, who are very convincing.  However, the series is nonetheless excellent and historically accurate. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2021 4:08 pm
fantasia liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have been watching Life , a documentary about survival in the natural world narrated by David Attenborough.  The wonderful photography and Attenborough’s narration make this an outstanding and well worth viewing television series.  It is an incredible and excellent history of the natural world. The series was made in 2009 and features high definition footage and is available on blu-ray. By all means watch this beautiful documentary if you get the chance.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 8, 2021 6:15 pm
Cyberlucy liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Some very fine DVD’s and blu-rays are available of PBS’ Nature series. I watched The Himalayas last night, one of the older episodes from about ten years ago. It is well worth watching and purchasing them if you like them. Amazon and eBay often have the older shows, and they usually are inexpensive. I wish there were more from the beginning of the series when George Page was the host back in the 1980’s and ‘90’s. There were only a few of these available on DVD, and they were sometimes added as bonus episodes. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2021 5:02 am
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

THE PLANETS, narrated by Zachary Quinto is beautifully filmed. If it has a flaw, the series assumes you have a very large television screen (at least 30 inches).

The series never names it specifically but it clearly endorses the "Jupiter is Nemesis" theory of the Late Heavy Bombardment.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2021 11:34 am
Narnian78 liked
Page 1 / 4
Share: