Notifications
Clear all

Best Nature/ Science Documentaries

Page 2 / 4
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@the-old-maid 

I own the BBC version of The Planets from 1999 on DVD. I am not sure if it’s the same series that you’re referring to since it has a woman as narrator and I think she is an American. The series has much in it about the American space program, which is understandable since the BBC wanted to sell the series here in the U.S.  Although somewhat dated, it is very interesting viewing with some beautiful visuals of the worlds explored.  I highly recommend it along with The Astronomers, another fine documentary from that time.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 6, 2021 7:40 pm
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Member Friend of NarniaWeb

David Attenbourgh's Planet Earth is stunning.  Highly recommend.  

These are only shadows of the real world

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2021 9:03 pm
Glenwit and Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@cyberlucy 

I own both Planet Earth and The Blue Planet on blu-ray and DVD respectively and have watched the complete series many times. I love David Attenborough’s narration and his unique presentation of nature documentaries. They are the best programs of this kind that I have ever seen.  He also occasionally narrates and appears in person on PBS’ Nature series.  These shows are well worth watching and enjoying as the best of public television. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 6, 2021 9:25 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

@narnian78 

The Zachary Quinto series is new (2019 edition) and definitely worth a look. I had thought it would be more famous because "Spock explains space to earthlings" is always good publicity.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 10:28 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@the-old-maid 

I guess the BBC can make new versions of old series just as there was a new series made of Carl Sagan’s Cosmos, which was first shown in 1980. I actually like the original better, as I believe Carl Sagan was irreplaceable. I think he was the best astronomer and there was no need for someone else to remake the series.  Of course I have never seen the 2019 version of The Planets so I can’t make a judgment on that one.  I actually don’t know much about today’s astronomers. But I will watch BBC America for any of those kind of programs featuring Zachary Qinto since I do receive that channel on my You Tube TV.  BBC America doesn’t have everything that is broadcast in the UK, but they do have quite a selection. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 10, 2021 1:09 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Right now I'm watching a documentary series on Apple TV called 'Tiny World'.  It's narrated by Paul Rudd and focuses on small animals in various ecosystems (think shrews, frogs, crabs, geckos, marmosets, etc.).  The cinematography is absolutely top-notch.

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 3:26 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@glenwit 

It sounds a lot like the DVD I own which has the title “Nature’s Miniature Miracles”. It is about the small creatures such as frogs, insects, spiders, and others.  The program shows how they make a living, no matter how difficult it may be to survive. The DVD is an episode of PBS’s Nature series.  The photography is wonderful as always on one of most loved and longest running series on PBS. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 10, 2021 7:04 pm
Glenwit liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I seldom watch these nowadays but I used to watch the Attenborough and Jacques Cousteau sort of programmes with my dad and brother in the 70s. 

Earlier, before we had a TV, I loved going to the neighbours' to watch the Disney programme. The little musical introduction led us into the day's story or nature programme. 

Adventureland was the category or 'world' with animal stories. 

Who remembers old Walt Disney himself doing his little introductions?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2021 12:13 pm
Narnian78 liked
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Here is the 2018 "The Planets" narrated by Quinto, on TV series NOVA.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/series/planets/episodes/

Enjoy.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2021 4:57 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@the-old-maid 

The episodes look really interesting.  I can watch this on my computer and perhaps my TV will also show them since You Tube TV does have TV documentaries.  Thanks for posting the link.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 20, 2021 10:45 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@the-old-maid 

I have begun watching the episodes of The Planets, and they really are good. It is a fine series, and I think it is just as interesting as the older series from the BBC. It looks fine on my computer, but I haven’t found it on my TV yet.  There are many beautiful visuals with both old and new footage from the exploration of the worlds.  The series is well worth watching. Thanks again for the link.  

Nova is now 48 years old, and it still offers interesting programs. I also own a set of DVD’s with the title Stargazing, which includes Nova astronomy programs from about ten years ago.  I watched it again recently and still enjoyed it very much.  There is much in it about the history of the telescope and the beginning of the great observatories such as Mt. Palomar. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 26, 2021 4:27 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I recently bought Nova: The Planets on blu-ray and added it to my collection. So I now have both the old series from the BBC and the newer one from PBS.  I would recommend both series since they are really interesting and the visuals are quite impressive. I am rewatching both of the series and am enjoying them again greatly.  These series remind me of Carl Sagan’s Cosmos, which was made back in 1980.  I also recommend Dr. Sagan’s book of the same title, and you will never be bored with astronomy.  It does not require much scientific knowledge to appreciate astronomy.  I think a love for it comes with a desire that science fiction may someday become reality. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 21, 2021 2:51 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here is a link to episodes of Cosmos on YouTube:

There are videos of the entire 13 part series.  It was one of the best documentaries ever made! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have been watching The Mating Game, a new documentary from the BBC about animal courtship and mating. It is well worth watching and is now available on DVD.  David Attenborough is the narrator and it is filmed by the same people who produced A Perfect Planet.  These documentaries are so beautifully filmed that I love to purchase them for my own DVD library. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 19, 2022 8:33 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have been watching Dynasties 2, a new documentary narrated by David Attenborough. Attenborough’s wildlife programs are always so lively and interesting.  Like the first documentary it is about animal families and their hierarchies.  It is airing on BBC America. I think it is as good as the first series in showing the intimacy of animal families.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 14, 2022 9:45 am
Courtenay liked
Page 2 / 4
Share: