Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Best Nature/ Science Documentaries

Page 3 / 4
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The latest documentary that I am now watching is Europe’s New Wild, which is now available on DVD or streaming.  It’s interesting to see how some animals have been brought back to countries in Europe that were extinct in the wild for more than a century such as bison and wolves. It does seem only right that the natural world is restored, but if an animal is gone for over a century it may be difficult to return it in large numbers.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 23, 2022 2:41 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

Are you watching it on PBS ? That's where I saw it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2022 10:17 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@cobalt-jade 

I watched it on DVD. It is also available on PBS’ streaming service, but I wanted to own the series permanently so I bought the DVD set for around $18. It was well worth the price.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2022 5:58 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have been enjoying the BBC ocean documentary Wild Pacific on DVD.  It was beautifully filmed over ten years ago, and it does not seem at all dated. If you like documentaries like The Blue Planet it may be of interest to you. It has much footage of marine life and exploration of the oceans. It is still well worth viewing even after more than a decade,  Some of the wildlife series seem even better with the passage of time. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2023 8:56 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I’m currently watching Wild Scandinavia on DVD. This documentary has some wonderful wildlife and landscape photography and is well worth purchasing. I think it is also available on streaming, although I decided to own it. The beautifully filmed program is in three hour long episodes and is narrated by Rebecca Ferguson.  I like it about as much as the excellent Nature series on PBS. I would highly recommend the series. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 12, 2023 6:09 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here is another very good space documentary:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2023 6:15 am
littlgriz
(@tina-cat-moma)
NarniaWeb Regular

I have bin watching a nature chanul caled wild earth tv 

pit dus l live  safaries dayley  and I love it 

https://youtube.com/@WildEarth?si=mhvWp2WRCsahEPd-

in aslans paws have a good day

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2023 8:53 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I love The Blue Planet: Seas of Life, which is narrated by David Attenborough. I have been rewatching it and Blue Planet II during the past few nights. The first documentary was made in 2001 and the second was produced in 2017.  There was really an advance in technology in the sixteen years between the two documentaries. These may be the best documentaries ever made about the oceans.  The underwater photography is amazing!   🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2023 7:31 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am now watching Planet Earth, which is considered to be one of the BBC’s best documentaries. I recommend the Blu-ray set as having the best picture, and it can be watched on many television screens. Planet Earth II is also very enjoyable. These programs were filmed in many different countries and the photography is the best that I have ever seen in any nature film. The series was once available on HD DVD, but that format has been mostly replaced by the blu-ray about ten years ago. David Attenborough is perhaps the best narrator for any nature program, and his voice blends in so well with the beautiful visual portion of the series. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 24, 2023 9:05 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

A Perfect Planet was made just a few years ago. The message of the six part series seems to focus on the earth as being the perfect place for life and humans should appreciate it. Even though everything in our world isn’t perfect all of it is very good and certainly worthy of our respect and admiration. I am really enjoying rewatching the six hours of wonderful photography of this series. I own a number of David Attenborough’s documentaries on DVD (and some on Blu-ray) and love all of those I have seen. This one also has a fine comparison book with excellent photography.  🙂

I have also ordered Islands of Wonder, which is about the wildlife of islands in the Pacific Ocean. This PBS series looks interesting, although I have never viewed it before.  It received some very good reviews and I am looking forward to watching it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 2, 2023 5:30 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Islands of Wonder is about the people and wildlife of Madagascar, Borneo, and Hawaii. There is much beautiful photography in the three episodes of this documentary. It is well worth viewing and is about three hours long. I was very pleased with this program and was especially impressed with its beautiful filming. Is possible that these documentaries were created to compete with the series broadcast on the BBC, but PBS has offered some very good ones along with their nature shows in recent years. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2023 7:20 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Last night I rewatched the Nova episodes New Eye on the Universe and the Ultimate Space Telescope on DVD. Nova has been on PBS since 1974, making it the longest running science documentary on that network. I always loved the astronomy programs the best.  PBS has had many excellent space and astronomy documentaries broadcast through the years. The best include The Astronomers and Cosmos with Carl Sagan. The companion books to both of these series are also well worth reading. 

Here is a preview of Nova:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 8, 2023 3:23 am
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @narnian78

I am now watching Planet Earth, which is considered to be one of the BBC’s best documentaries. I recommend the Blu-ray set as having the best picture, and it can be watched on many television screens. Planet Earth II is also very enjoyable. These programs were filmed in many different countries and the photography is the best that I have ever seen in any nature film. The series was once available on HD DVD, but that format has been mostly replaced by the blu-ray about ten years ago. David Attenborough is perhaps the best narrator for any nature program, and his voice blends in so well with the beautiful visual portion of the series. 🙂

I love Planet Earth! I still remember when that first came out and was on every screen at Best Buy. I've been watching through that, along with Blue Planet and Frozen Planet

I also watched a short documentary shot in IMAX called Mountain Gorilla recently. I wasn't aware what a dire situation the mountain gorillas are in. There's only around 1,000 left and they are categorized as endangered. Their habitat is being watched over and protected, ensuring their population remains stable, but the documentary made it sound like if that ever changes, the mountain gorillas are sunk due to hunting and destruction of habitat. Sad  

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by Reepicheep775

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2023 8:16 am
Narnian78 liked
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

On PBS (American TV) there's a wonderful new show called Doug's Geology Journal. It's about how mountains, volcanoes, rock formations, and continents are created and destroyed with visits to places where it can be demonstrated in real-time, like Iceland, Sicily, and the Western United States. The host is gentle and affable and there's lots of gorgeous scenery. It was the perfect soother when I got home from my stressful job. It's also available on Amazon Prime which is where I watched it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2023 10:43 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I just ordered Nova: To the Moon.  This two hour episode of the science series is from 1999.  I had never seen it before so I just bought the DVD.  After reading the reviews I thought it was worth ordering since many consider it to be one of the best documentaries on the 1969 moon landing. I have another astronomy DVD coming soon about the Voyager spacecraft, The Farthest Voyager in Space, which I think will also be well worth viewing. I really like the space and astronomy programs on PBS and own many of them. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 14, 2023 1:37 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share: