Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Should Unnamed Characters Each Be Given A Name? Poll was created on Jun 08, 2023

Poll results: Should Unnamed Characters Each Be Given A Name?
Voter(s): 10
Poll was created on Jun 08, 2023
Yes!  -  votes: 1 / 10%
10%
No way!  -  votes: 2 / 20%
20%
Possibly!  -  votes: 7 / 70%
70%
I have no idea!  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

Should Unnamed Characters Each Be Given A Name?

Page 2 / 2
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@cobalt-jade Oh, sorry, my mistake then! I was taking it from some review I read a while ago and I must have got the characters mixed up. 

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 14, 2023 1:20 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Overall I think i agree with the predominant sentiment across this thread that it only really makes sense to give minor characters names if it serves some functional purposes within the script - such as allowing other characters to more easily refer to that person by name (such as with Ginnarbrik) or in the case of "Helen Pevensie" where it serves the function of punctuating Lucy's confusion about being referred to as a "Daughter of Eve".... Phillip the Horse is another good example of a name being necessary to facilitate a joke.

More often than not though you get the exact opposite problem in movies where the script has to go out of its way to name-drop the characters as a form of fan service. It can end up feeling really clunky and un-natural in a lot of movies given that amongst peers its actually quite uncommon for people to need to refer to each other by name in normal conversation.

There are however a few other reasons for naming minor characters for reasons which don't relate entirely to the script.. For example, in the Prince Caspian movie, many of the minor Telmarine Lords were formally credited with names in the casting credits, but were never (as far as i can recall) directly referred to by those in the movie itself. These included:

• Lord Scythley
  • Lord Donnon
  • Lord Gregorie
  • Lord Montoya

Perhaps they were planning to do something more substantial with the Lord's backstory in VDT that warranted them all having names? Or perhaps its simply because it made it easier to credit them if they had a name? Maybe its some sort of union rule whereby they can get paid more if they are playing a "named" role? Or maybe its just to help the actors get into character a bit more? I really have no idea, but either way, these guys all had "official" names within the movie that weren't spoken on screen (again, to the best of my knowledge).

The other major reason for giving minor character names would seem to be Merchandise. I reckon it was much easier for them to sell action figures of Minotaurs, Fauns and Satyrs if they could sell them as named characters. As such we ended up with:

• General Otmin (the minotaur in LWW)
  • Oreius (a centaur in LWW)
  • Asterius (the minotaur in PC)
  • Tyrus (the satyr in PC)
  • Tavros (the minotaur in VDT)

Again, not sure whether any of those names were ever actually spoken on screen, but for me the primary function of the name seemed to be more about action figures and other merchandise than anything else.

Perhaps also with all these names its just something that made it easier for the director to coordinate activity behind-the-scenes when working on a large scale movie if they can refer to things with a name rather than a generic description.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 8:17 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @icarus

For example, in the Prince Caspian movie, many of the minor Telmarine Lords were formally credited with names in the casting credits, but were never (as far as i can recall) directly referred to by those in the movie itself. These included:

• Lord Scythley
  • Lord Donnon
  • Lord Gregorie
  • Lord Montoya

Oh dear. Maybe there really was something in the fact that — as I remember one film review remarking (it may have been in an Australian newspaper) — Ben Barnes' accent in the Prince Caspian movie made him sound like his next line ought to be "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

(And for no-one here to get that reference... I'm sure that would be totally INCONCEIVABLE Grin ROFL Wink )

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 5:29 pm
Col Klink and coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@icarus 

I can actually see that: where as while a character isn't referred to by name, the name could still come up during the end credits.

For instance, even if the Lady of then Green Kirtle isn't referred to by name in the actual film or series, her name could still come up during the credits (as long as it's not Jadis, though!) The same could be for Aravis's stepmother (if she were appear in the flash back), and Emeth's six brothers (if they were to appear in Aslan's country and interacting with Emeth).

So in some cases, unnamed characters being named would possibly be for script writing. Some could still even appear in the end credits even if they're not referred to by name.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 17, 2023 6:08 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Credits for featured extras such as Man at Recruiting Office, or Cute Kids (Peter Jackson's two in second LOTR movie), work without names.

If the role is no more than parading around in a fancy outfit (no lines), and they are not named or even mentioned in the book, I'd say No to giving them a name. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 6:47 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Sophie Cook's two children made a cameo appearance in the Walden LWW movie, and they were not given names. Isis Mussedon , the costume designer from the Walden movie adaptations, son appeared as a child centaur in the Walden PC movie, and he was not given a name.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if some of the actors from the Walden trilogy or even some of their family appear in the background in the new adaptations. Possibly Tilda Swinton's two children or Sergio Castellito's four children. Hey, maybe however long it takes for the production to get started, Anna Popplewell's son will make an appearance.

In some cases, no names need to be given.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 17, 2023 6:57 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

Isis Mussedon , the costume designer from the Walden movie adaptations, son appeared as a child centaur in the Walden PC movie, and he was not given a name.

Wikipedia says, and I remember from a video during filming, that Gomez did have a character name, Lightning Bolt. This may have been something he was allowed to choose himself, unofficially.

Wikipedia gave this link - to us!
https://www.narniaweb.com/2007/08/narniaweb-set-report-2-howard-berger-dean-wright/

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2023 2:19 am
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

I thought of names for Ramandu's Daughter and The Green Lady

For Ramandu's Daughter: Estelle

For Green Lady: Esmeralda

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2023 7:12 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@queencrunchytheweeb 

I actually like Estelle for Ramandu's daughter, even Estella. One even wonder why she wasn't named in the book at all. It's someone you want to know more about. What kind of relationship did she had with Caspian? What kind of mother was she to Rilian? It sure raises these questions.

"Esmeralda" is actually a Spanish word for "Emerald." Though the name makes me think of the gypsy girl in Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. If the Green Lady is given a name, it might be something unique.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 28, 2023 7:33 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: