Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Inconsistency with the Duffers

JillPole3
(@jillpole3)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I recently reread TVOTDT for probably the third or fourth time, and one thing that has bothered me is the seemingly inconsistent way that invisibility relates to the Duffers. When the group from the Dawn Treader meet the invisible Duffers on the beach, the Duffers shoot an arrow at them to prove they have weapons and tell the group that the arrow becomes visible when it leaves their hands. Why then, just a few scenes later, when the Duffers are serving food to the group, are the dishes visible in their hands while they are carrying them? I'm sure C.S. Lewis didn't do this accidentally, so does anyone have an explanation?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 31, 2020 6:57 am
Wanderer Between Worlds
(@wanderer)
NarniaWeb Nut

I remember listening to one of the early Talking Beasts podcasts discussing VDT, and either @glumpuddle or @rilian suggested that the Duffers were wearing gloves when they were carrying the dishes.  I think this explanation fits quite well, meaning that the gloves would be invisible since they were directly touching the Duffers but the dishes would be visible since there was no direct contact.  Likewise, the weapons were invisible since the Duffers were touching them directly without wearing gloves, fitting with the fact that the arrow was vivike when it left their hands.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Wanderer Between Worlds

"I am,” said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 9:24 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

My explanation is weapons and dishes are two different things. (Not a great explanation but my own.) Their clothes are invisible too. Maybe weapons count as part of their outfits.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 9:47 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

All very good reasons.

I'm not so sure C.S. Lewis didn't do this accidentally Giggle - but the explanations are so much better Grin

That's part of the fun, to try to work out what may be the reasons that would work inside the story, in that universe, whatever the technical reasons may be for what the author did in his writing process.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2020 1:32 am
coracle and johobbit liked
Share: