Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Signatures!

Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hello NarniaWeb,

Over a year ago, I added a new thread about the origin of our usernames, which yielded some really neat discussions.  I recently had another idea of a similar vein. 

For those of you with a signature, what's the story behind it? What made you choose it? 

I'll start with mine. It comes from a song called "Come Alive" by The Phantoms. It's just one of my favourite songs ever and I think of Narnia whenever I hear it! 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 26, 2021 9:12 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

“And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved"
(Emeth, The Last Battle)

I chose this quote from Emeth in The Last Battle because it shows he had chosen a different path than most Calormenes. While seeking Tash, he was actually seeking Aslan. It was a wonder to him that Aslan called him beloved, even though he had served Tash all of his life.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 7:17 pm
Glenwit liked
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hi all! My signature is just my user name, Anfinwen, written phonetically in the Tengwar font. Anfinwen means "long hair maiden" in Elvish. The background of the signature is from a visit to Zion National Park in Utah. It's gorgeous. 

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 7:10 pm
Courtenay and Glenwit liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @anfinwen

Anfinwen means "long hair maiden" in Elvish.

In Sindarin, specifically, I'm guessing, since it looks Welsh and (knowing a little Welsh and a fair bit of Cornish, which is similar), I keep instinctively trying to parse it as Welsh? Grin Love the background photo, too!

My own signature is simply one of my favourite lines from the Chronicles — when Lucy is afraid to do what Aslan tells her, so she buries her face in his mane and unexpectedly feels "lion-strength going into her", giving her the courage to do what is needed. I loved that episode right from when I first read Prince Caspian at the age of 7, but it means even more to me now as an adult who re-found faith in God after a long period of agnosticism. (And yes, even today my prayers still sometimes involve me metaphorically burying my face in Aslan's mane... I know He understands, after all.)

That choice of signature quote was also what led me to have a lioness as my avatar (not a photo I took myself — I looked online for one I liked and made sure it was free to use). I was going to take it a step further and find a word meaning "lioness" in some other language that I could take as my username, but couldn't find one I really liked the sound of. So in the end, I just opted for my actual first name. Wink  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2021 11:10 am
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

@courtenay Not sure if it's Sindarin, I just pulled the bits from the back of Silmarillion. It is written in Sindarin mode with the vowel over the following consonant rather than the preceding as in Quenya, but that was just my choice as it started with a vowel. 

Love the thought and story that went in to your avatar and signature as well!

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2021 7:38 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay I was wondering what was the story behind your signature. That qoute makes me think of what we need in the States. There's been political unrest, and we're praying that the states will be renewed.

@anfinwen  The Elvish language is beautiful. It was created by Tolkien himself.. that's what makes it unique. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2021 7:42 pm
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

What a great topic! When I first made an account, I needed a perfect signature. My signature comes from one of my favorite lines in The Horse and His Boy. I think this line is why Edmund is my favorite character in the first place. He learns from his own mistakes and gives everyone a second chance because of it. Edmund receives the ultimate forgiveness from Aslan and learns that everyone can change and become a better person, if they're given the chance. The whole line in HHB basically explains it and that's why I chose it as my signature. 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2021 3:05 pm
Glenwit liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@kingedthejust Edmund is one of my favorites as well. I think he's a very complex character, perhaps the most complex out of all the children who traveled to Narnia. To your point, Edmund gives his insight to Shasta/Cor that how even a traitor must change his ways because he had been there. He is talking from his own experience.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2021 3:07 pm
Share: