Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Roar: A Christian Family Guide To Narnia

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

There is a devotional book called A Roar: A Christian Family Guide To Narnia. It's actually quite good. This could be used for churches in Children's ministry, family devotion, or even for homeschoolers. 

Amazon.com: Roar!: A Christian Family Guide to the Chronicles of Narnia  eBook : Kopp, Heather, Kopp, David, French, Martin, Kopp, David: Kindle  Store

They broken up into seven books and chapters with questions, verses to look up, even Trivia questions with multiple choices. There's even a recipe to make your own Turkish Delight (it even says, "Don't worry, it's not enchanted!") There's even different articles about "Magic in Narnia", "Wine in Narnia", "Racism in Narnia." 

Although in The Last Battle section, Rishda is referred to as "Prince Rishda" for some reason, which I've talked about in a post about Prince Rishda? Now, they could have been confused with Prince Rabadash from The Horse And His Boy. It could be possible they're trying to give some implication that there is a relationship between them. I'm sure Narnia fans would react, "Oh, Rishda should not be a prince!" A minor nick-pick, but hey.

On a lighter note, there's even a section on "Test Your Narniacs", which comes in handy for homeschoolers. It has questions, kind of like comprehensive questions.

So if you haven't read this devotional book, I think it's worth checking out. If you have, what were your thoughts?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2022 9:27 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I think the authors of the book just made a mistake. Just because you're a writer doesn't mean you're infallible!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2022 10:27 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I've looked it up on Amazon, which provided enough of a "look inside" preview for me to be definitely intrigued, so I've just ordered a second hand copy (at a very good price, I must say Grin ). I'll be happy to post my own thoughts on it here once it arrives and I've read it!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2022 12:27 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

Oh, yes, please do. And take your time!

Posted by: @cobalt-jade

I think the authors of the book just made a mistake. Just because you're a writer doesn't mean you're infallible!

That is true. I'm sure we don't want to compare Rishda Tarkaan to Prince Rabadash! I don't want to, for sure! The thought of comparing the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle is bad enough!

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 20, 2022 3:33 pm
Courtenay liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

The thought of comparing the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle is bad enough!

I hope they didn't do that terrible blunder! Straight face  

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2022 3:59 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @coracle

The thought of comparing the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle is bad enough!

I hope they didn't do that terrible blunder! Straight face  

No, they didn't! Though it is mentioned in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe section-

In some fairy tales, there are good witches as well as bad ones. But in Narnia, and in the Bible, there is no such thing as a good witch. The White Witch (as well as the Green Witch to come) is evil and heartless.

Yes, they are both witches, and both wanted to dominate Narnia. But it doesn't make them the same person! Rabadash and Rishda are both Calormenes, are in the upper class society, and wanted conquer Narnia. But they're not the same person!

On a much lighter note, there's even activities in there. There's where you can plant your own garden and Tree of Protection in The Magician's Nephew section. There's also where you can make a story book in the Prince Caspian section. There's even where you can host like a Calormene dinner party (Arabian Nights theme, that is) in The Horse And His Boy section.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 20, 2022 4:10 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@jasmine_tarkheena Now I wonder if it's available in my country! I do have a Narnia-themed part of my garden, but the apple tree in it is not one of protection - it's named Beau Jade, and it represents Jadis! (as it's been falling over for a few years, I was thinking about replacing it, so I'll look for a better name!)

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2022 5:43 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

On a much lighter note, there's even activities in there. There's where you can plant your own garden and Tree of Protection in The Magician's Nephew section.

Hmmm, for those of us who don't have an outdoor space of our own to plant a garden, would an indoor bonsai Tree of Protection be good enough?? Grin  

Seriously, it does sound like a very enjoyable book — somewhat similar, in fact, to one my parents bought for me when I was 7 and obsessed with all things Narnia. It's called The Magical World of Narnia, by Brian Sibley, and it's a book of activities based on the Chronicles — puzzles, things to make, ideas for hosting a Narnia-themed party or writing and performing your own plays based on the stories, and so on. It doesn't play up the specifically Christian themes of the books — being a British publication and therefore subtle on those things, as was Lewis himself in the way the Chronicles are written — and it's not really designed as any sort of educational aid, religious or otherwise, but it's very sweet and I definitely still have my copy of it back at my parents' house in Australia.

It'll be interesting to compare this more recent and obviously much more explicitly religious take on the stories and activities inspired by them; I'm really looking forward to reading it. Remarkably enough for a book that was published in the US and wouldn't find nearly as big a market in the UK, I managed to find a copy being sold (via Amazon) by a second hand bookseller here in England — in the next county north of where I live, in fact, and I got the notice yesterday that it had been dispatched, so it shouldn't take too much longer! Maybe tomorrow... Smile  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2022 9:34 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Roar: A Christian Family Guide To The Chronicles of Narnia is a good devotional book to do with families. Though I don't think filmmakers should use it as a source of inspiration. Not necessarily for religious purposes, but mainly where in The Last Battle section, Rishda is refereed to as "Prince Rishda." It would probably give filmmakers an idea, "Oh, what if Rishda was a descendant from the Tisroc Rabadash the Peacemaker?" or whatever.

On a lighter note, this would also be good for homeschoolers. For those you of who are planning to homeshool your children and want to introduce the Narnia series, there's also a "Narniac Test" section, to help test their knowledge about Narnia.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 19, 2022 5:30 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I remember being really annoyed that some of the discussion questions in the book (mainly the ones for The Horse and his Boy) were trying to get kids to guess the plot revelations long before they happened. I don't understand why you would want that. (Maybe a parent on this forum can explain it to me.)

That's not to say all the discussion questions were bad though! Or the book in general. I really enjoyed the Dad's Reading Chair sections where one of the book's contributors shared anecdotes about reading the Narnia books to his kids.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2022 7:40 am
coracle
(@coracle)

@col-klink it's a common thing in teaching, to ask children what might happen next in a story. It  helps develop understanding of stories and imagination, to predict. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2022 2:04 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

When I did the Narnia series in my Sunday School class, I would say at the end of each lesson, "You have to come back next week to find out" and the next week, I would ask, "Do you remember what happened last week?"

Review is actually good to help kids to remember what happened. And leaving a cliffhanger leaves them excited, wanting to come back to find out what happens next.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 21, 2022 2:33 pm
Col Klink liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

So Roar: A Christian Family Guide To The Chronicles of Narnia is enjoyable to do with your families. Though I don't think it should be used as a source of inspiration for Narnia movies, especially for The Last Battle. Now maybe there still could be some implications, "Oh, Rishda Tarkaan, he's in direct descent from the Tisroc Rabadash the Peacemaker" or whatever.

Now back on topic, for those of you have it, you might as well share your thoughts on something to do with families. It's also a great source for homeschoolers.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 17, 2022 6:44 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

In Roar: A Christian Family Guide To Narnia, there's a whole section about "Color and Culture in Narnia", which is in depth about the Calormenes. It's really well worth reading. Smile

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 1, 2023 11:18 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

For anyone that might be interested in this devotional book, it is also available in digital format: kindle, tablet or apple books to put on your ipad on iphone.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 17, 2023 9:23 am
Share: