Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Why do Ramandu and the Hermit of Southern March use family terms?

Mickey
(@mickey)
NarniaWeb Regular

While rereading the Chronicles, I've noticed an interesting detail that both Ramandu and the Hermit of Southern March use the terms "my son" and "my daughter" when addressing the characters (the Hermit also uses "my cousins" in regards to animals). If I'm not mistaken, this speech pattern is unique to these two characters (Aslan also uses it sometimes, which would be logical, but he does it much more rarely); even more interestingly, the Hermit and Ramandu have a very similar physical description (long beard and bare feet).

I was wondering about the reasons for this?

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Mickey
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 18, 2022 6:05 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

It is a term traditionally used by people in special roles, such as priests in the Catholic Church, particularly if they are older or in a special position. 

Both the hermit and Ramandu are very old, Lewis is using it to show their special roles. Other terms they could have used are boy, girl, child, laddie, young man, etc. But I prefer Lewis's choices.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2022 2:40 pm
Courtenay and Mickey liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think it could also be used as a form of respect. When the Hermit of the Southern March and Ramandu refer to the children as "my son" or "my daughter", it's likely that they knew the children would treat them with respect.

It's the case often used when a younger person shows a form of respect to an older person. Emeth refers to Rishda as "my father", even though Rishda wasn't really Emeth's father. It was a form of respect for a young officer had for their senior officers.

So it would have been very likely that the children would've treated the Hermit of the Southern March and Ramandu with respect.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2022 3:14 pm
Courtenay and coracle liked
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

Catholic brothers (monks, friars) use those terms of address. Lewis was either copying Catholicism, or copying those Medieval tales that featured monks and brothers (there were a lot.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2022 10:26 am
Share: