Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Magician's Nephew Music Album

icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I guess "Fan Art" is probably the best forum to post this in, though the thing in question is not really something I've ever considered as existing before, so it probably doesn't really fit into any traditional category....

Anyway, the other week in the Guardian newspaper they did an article about a growing trend for books to be adapted into music... and do note that I said adapted into music, not as adapted as a musical.

Essentially, as one guy describes it, its kind of like composing a "score" for a book.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/aug/27/writers-notes-the-record-labels-remixing-novels-into-music-bibliotapes

Anyway, one of the albums mentioned in the article is a score for The Magician's Nephew by Ioan Morris:

https://ioanmorris.bandcamp.com/album/the-magicians-nephew

Not really sure what to make of it, but I kind of like the idea.

The description on the site says the Album was written and recorded in 2019, though the album is conceptually designed as if it were "the demo tape for a mid-eighties animated version of The Magician’s Nephew that never was" which is kind of another fun layer to the idea, though I'm not sure I'm a massive fan of synth music that much.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 12, 2021 6:26 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Different from a friend of mine who composed a lovely suite of music for VDT, more than 20 years ago, and misunderstood what the Estate had said: she thought it was okay to share with friends, using chapter headings from the book. Then she had a stern letter to the effect that she could not use names or titles from the book, so she had rename everything and reprint the CD covers to avoid being sued.

20 years of internet later, people are managing to create this sort of item, and to present it as described above.  I wonder if the Estate has encountered it in the two years it's been available.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2021 10:44 pm
Lady Jill the Loyal
(@lady-jill-the-loyal)
NarniaWeb Regular

Looks interesting - I'll have to listen to it sometime! Personally, I know the music I consider to be the Magician's Nephew, and it's music not written for that at all. It's the Siren Sounds Waltz by Alma Deutscher, and something about the change from street noises to everything else... feels like the transition from England to Narnia, or maybe something to do with Aslan's song.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2021 5:52 pm
Share: