Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Who Should Direct Narnia Film or Series?

Page 2 / 2
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I came up with another director's name. I don't think a lot of people will agree with this one, in part because he's just not that famous. 

Steve Barron directed three episodes of The Storyteller, which is my favorite fairy tale-inspired TV show of all time, and he also directed the 2000 Arabian Nights miniseries, which I consider close to a masterpiece. Mind you, the main things that made those great IMO were the scripts, but the direction sure didn't drag them down. I really enjoyed the cinematography and music too. 

Keep in mind though that most of Steve Barron's directorial credits are for music videos and he also directed the Coneheads movie, which I know by reputation as really stupid. Still, anyone who directed The Storyteller (three episodes of it anyway) and Arabian Nights strikes me as qualified to direct one of Netflix's Narnia movies. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2024 7:39 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'll add another name into the mix for future Narnia movies, and that is David Lowery. Even though, much like my suggestion of Joe Wright, I feel like his resume is slightly let down by a somewhat duff Peter Pan adaptation (not terrible, just disappointing and slightly too dull).

Peter Pan & Wendy aside though, I think that David Lowery's adaptation of Pete's Dragon is not only one of the best Disney remakes of recent times, but it is also a genuinely great movie in its own right. It also has a lot of Narnia like qualities in many ways, in that it manages to strike a nice balance between being serious and heartfelt, fantastical yet grounded, and all-round engaging as a children's story which adults can still appreciate.

Furthermore, David Lowery's adaptation of The Green Knight might just be one of the most interesting movies of the last few years for me. Its definitely not for children, but for anyone looking for a serious take on an Arthurian classic I would highly recommend it. The film also has a lot of Narnia like qualities in the way it is structured - reminding me a lot of VoDT in that regard. The Green Knight is a highly episodic story and often only has a general thematic symbolism connecting much of it together (definitely took me a second viewing to really appreciate some of the nuances of that symbolic connection), but for me I think that's a really important trait for anyone looking to adapt a book like VoDT - having a director who appreciates that cinematic storytelling doesn't just have to be about 3 act story telling and having a conventional "hero's journey" character arc... it can be about exploring a singular theme or idea, such as that of chivalry, honour and virtue in the case of the Green Knight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2024 5:41 am
coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Those all sound like interesting choices. I have heard of the Hallmark mini series of Arabian Nights. A lesser known name would be nice for a change, I'll have to admit. I think I'd much rather have that than the big names.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 25, 2024 10:28 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: