Notifications
Clear all

Portrayal of The Calormenes

Page 4 / 4
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@queencrunchytheweeb 

It's a narrow path between two problems. As the bad guys, they can't be dark-skinned people.  There has to be something different in their looks, and a tanned or olive skin might work. But whatever is chosen could offend someone.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2023 4:01 pm
Courtenay liked
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

I actually never saw any complaints about casting European actors in the Logos Theatre version. But still if Netflix were to go this route some may still get offended as obviously Narnia Netflix would be exposed to a bigger audience compared to Logos Theatre.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2023 9:54 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @queencrunchytheweeb

I actually never saw any complaints about casting European actors in the Logos Theatre version.

I'm actually guessing there wasn't a lot of "intent" behind the casting. A local theatre, even one with a budget like Logos, takes what actors it can get and probably doesn't bother too much about their looks. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2023 10:43 am
Courtenay liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@col-klink Logos has a big core of staff, students and locals who've been involved for years. It's not the average community theatre.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2023 1:32 pm
Jasmine and Col Klink liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wonder when it comes to the Calormenes, if it would require a open casting call. People are kind of divided on how they should be portrayed in film.

The BBC Radio 4 and Focus on the Family Radio Theatre adaptations of The Horse And His Boy and The Last Battle had English actors to voice the Calormenes. I'm not sure if a movie will use English actors, though.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 12, 2023 2:18 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: