Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

How Should the Professor Be Portrayed?

Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

I think that an important character for Netflix to get right will be the man himself, Professor Digory Kirk.

So I wanted to open a discussion about what you all think goes into getting him right.

Full disclosure: I absolutely loved the Professor in the BBC adaptation, and couldn't stand the Professor in the Walden adaptation (where he looked and acted like he literally had not left his house in 30 years).

I know that some people are against him being too comical, because of how seriously he takes logic, and judging other people's actions based on the precedent set by their character. When he warned Peter and Susan against assuming Lucy was lying, he was NOT playing around! But at the same time, I can see him having a bit of a mischievous side to him as well (he seems like the kind of person to crack jokes - a lot of older university professors are like that. I know some of mine were).  Either way, he's definitely a charismatic individual. 

Also, how do you think age should factor into casting/portrayal? According to the timeline, he was about 52 years old, but based on the description of him in the book, he seems a bit older than that (as well as Pauline Bayne's illustrations - although I take those with a grain of salt from time to time).

Thoughts?

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2022 1:39 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @glenwit

Full disclosure: I absolutely loved the Professor in the BBC adaptation...I know that some people are against him being too comical

Are you talking about me? Because I was under the impression everybody here liked that version of the professor except myself. Giggle  

I can see him having a bit of a mischievous side to him as well (he seems like the kind of person to crack jokes - a lot of older university professors are like that. I know some of mine were)

Well, that's actually how I'd describe the professor in the Walden Media adaptation whom you can't stand. Giggle  

I don't think it's "wrong" per se for the professor to have a sense of humor, but I'd really like the next major adaptation to portray him as totally humorless since the BBC and the Walden Media ones portrayed as a somewhat comedic character in their individual ways. You see you'd expect an adult who'd believe a girl with a story of a magical world inside a wardrobe to be really childlike and whimsical. (What the BBC miniseries did.) It's less expected and actually funnier if he's this crabby old get-off-my-lawn guy who's always complaining about how education is going to the dogs. LOL Of course, I wouldn't want them to go too far in that direction. (A stereotypical guy like that wouldn't have put himself "quite at (Peter and Susan's) disposal" in such a friendly way as the professor does.) But I think it'd be a nice change since other adaptations have leaned in the other direction. 

According to the timeline, he was about 52 years old, but based on the description of him in the book, he seems a bit older than that (as well as Pauline Bayne's illustrations - although I take those with a grain of salt from time to time).

That's probably because C. S. Lewis hadn't written The Magician's Nephew when he wrote The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Since any adapters will have access to the whole series, in a way the original author didn't, I feel like they should take MN into consideration when writing LWW...but, I admit, I'd kind of like him to be old for tradition's sake. Blush Giggle  

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2022 3:53 pm
Glenwit liked
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

I honestly liked how the professor was portrayed in both the BBC and Walden Media films. Honestly both versions captured how I see him. The BBC one definitely showed he was smart yet does not let his age destroy his childlike wonder, plus the way he reacts and doesn't disbelieve the children about the magical wardrobe hints that he's been there. We get similar hints with the Walden Media portrayal too, I like how when Susan says "she thinks she found a magical land" he first has a somewhat amused face then when she adds "...in the upstairs wardrobe" the way his expression changed was perfect, especially when he goes "what was it like?" again hinting how he'd been to Narnia before at some point, and the fact that it was the wardrobe -- which we book readers know was made of the wood of a tree that grew from the silver apple he brought home -- that's a portal. Honestly, portraying him either way, or perhaps a combination of the two, I think would be perfect. Just my 2 cents. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2022 5:43 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @col-klink

Well, that's actually how I'd describe the professor in the Walden Media adaptation whom you can't stand. Giggle  

Yeah, I see what you mean there, although that isn't what I dislike about him (my reasons more have to do with the writers' handling of the character...not a knock on Jim Broadbent's performance either; I think he did his best with what he was given!). 

I'd really like the next major adaptation to portray him as totally humorless....You see you'd expect an adult who'd believe a girl with a story of a magical world inside a wardrobe to be really childlike and whimsical. (What the BBC miniseries did.) It's less expected and actually funnier if he's this crabby old get-off-my-lawn guy who's always complaining about how education is going to the dogs. LOL

Okay, you've now got my gears turning about what this could look like. It absolutely would be funny, but I think it would also emphasize some aspects of the character in the book that previous adaptions might have missed (aforementioned affinity for logic + order, otherwise very grown up in his appearance and demeanor - BBC Peter and Susan should NOT have been surprised that he believed Lucy, I'll give you that).  But, it still comes down to my favourite word in these threads - balance. Balance, balance, balance. My concern if they make him too crotchety is that he wouldn't be believable as someone who would aid in the billeting of evacuee children (never mind being at said children's "disposal").  All things considered, it would make sense if he's a single, older (50/60 something) intellectual who lives alone that he wouldn't exactly warm up to them overnight. But it would also make it all the more compelling if Netflix gets the whole series out there + he actually ends up being their Earthly mentor for the rest of their lives. 

Posted by: @kokoro-hane. Honestly, portraying him either way, or perhaps a combination of the two, I think would be perfect. Just my 2 cents. 
Both adaptations got aspects of his character right for sure, but I think they are important pieces of a bigger puzzle. The fact that he keeps an open mind during the discussion with Peter and Susan is very telling (and as you mentioned, he didn't lose that childlike wonder and curiosity). While it would clash with a portrayal that is less overtly whimsical (or displays a more dry and cynical wit), that would make it all the more surprising that he makes the case for Narnia's existence that he does without straight up admitting he was there too (proving Edmund a liar in the process). It makes his course of action even more awesome in hindsight since it wasn't confirmed/decided that he had been to Narnia until years after this scene was written!

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 27, 2022 12:59 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think I mentioned this in one of the other threads, but I would really like to see the Professor portrayed much younger than he traditionally is.

He is only supposed to be a man in his early 50s, and yet he is usually portrayed like a man in his late 80s. 

As a 52 year old man he would be in his absolute academic prime, and would therefore likely be a very active and busy member of the British University system... Not a wizzened old kook who has been locked away in a dusty old mansion for decades.

It's also worth acknowledging that the Professor in the story is in essence a proxy for CS Lewis himself and therefore should probably not be all that dissimilar in manner.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2022 2:14 pm
Glenwit and coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@icarus  I absolutely agree!

Not only because I'm older than 52 and far from elderly, but also because the description in LWW ("..a very old man with shaggy white hair..") is really from the children's viewpoint. A 52-year-old man, seen by a 10-year-old, is quite an old person, and how much hair and whiskers the man has will influence that view. 

This particular 52 year old will have lived through WW1 and the Depression, and clearly stuck to a traditional sort of male teacher style of clothing. He might resemble any of Lewis's colleagues at Oxford!

In spite of having this large house, there is no suggestion of his being rich, so he just has a housekeeper and three servants, but no male servant who might have taken care of his clothing - actually I can't imagine the average Oxford don doing anything else. (including himself, as you say - when he married Joy she had a huge task dealing with his clothing as well as everything else)

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2022 5:05 pm
Glenwit liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @icarus

As a 52 year old man he would be in his absolute academic prime, and would therefore likely be a very active and busy member of the British University system... Not a wizzened old kook who has been locked away in a dusty old mansion for decades.

It's also worth acknowledging that the Professor in the story is in essence a proxy for CS Lewis himself and therefore should probably not be all that dissimilar in manner.

You're definitely spot on about how he shouldn't be a wizened old kook! I like the idea of him being a bit younger, but it would be weird if he was visibly younger than his book description (where he was desribed as having shaggy white hair). However, Col Klink mentioned that the timeline was established after LWW was written, which makes his description a bit out of place for someone who's supposedly younger than my dad - who only started going gray a couple years ago. 

FWIW, this guy is who I'd personally cast. 

His name is Graham McTavish. You've probably heard of him if you've watched The Hobbit or Outlander.  He's a bit older than 52 (he was born in 1961, which would make him about 60). But he still looks like he could take down his own Christmas lights LOL  

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 27, 2022 5:09 pm
Cleander and coracle liked
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@glenwit, Excellent suggestion! A number of older British actors come to mind for this role, but if we're going a bit younger, I wonder if someone like Kenneth Grahame would do. He's begun to age a bit, and might be able to sell the "charming-but-enigmatic" vibe pretty well. 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2022 10:28 pm
Glenwit liked
Lu_valient
(@lu_valient)
NarniaWeb Nut

Keep in mind that people go grey at different rates. My dad started going grey in his 20s. He was almost white haired at the age of 50.

Kirke could be white haired but still have a young face. This makes some sense to me. It could be confusing to the Pevensies, thinking of him like an old man, but Dig not thinking of himself that way.

made by katherine

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2022 2:03 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

@lu_valient, that's a good point.  It shouldn't be an issue if he has gray, or white hair, as long as he's not otherwise stereotypically "elderly".  The lens of "old" might definitely be from the kids' perspective as well.  Thank you for the reminder; sometimes I still have my blind spots, and I do need those little reminders sometimes!

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 29, 2022 2:59 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

A good point of comparison for me is that the Professor should be closer in age and appearance to the Jude Law Dumbledore (currently age 49) than the Michael Gambon Dumbledore (currently age 81).

And not just in terms of physical appearance - Jude Dumbledore cuts around in a very smart suit befitting of an Oxford Don, whereas Gambon Dumbledore dresses like he's Merlin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2022 7:27 pm
Glenwit liked
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

Has anyone suggested Rhys Ifans? I think either him or Charles Dance would be great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2023 10:39 am
Share: