Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Coronation of King Charles III

Page 6 / 6
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

@Varnafinde: But if there are snippets on YouTube, I'd love to watch some of those. What should I search for?

All we did was type in keywords, Scottish Coronation, & for a refinement, if it helps, the 5th July 2023 date, in usually free You Tube & took a look at what was available on our television screen when that particular TV allows us access to Netflix, Paramount, & other streaming services as well. But we could have done this on a computer as well. As I've already noted, CNN, The Daily Telegraph (UK) & The Royal Family Channel supplied the most useful information. We at least got a good view of St Giles' Cathedral, which we didn't visit when we were there.

However, I am sure all the glossy weekly & monthly magazines, such as New Idea, Woman's Day & the Women's Weekly in Australia, may show pictures at some point or other. There was nothing in International Express this week, but that weekly publication comes out on Wednesdays, anyway. Those kilts, after all, looked quite colourful, as did those robes they wore for the Order of the Thistle, whilst the Princess of Wales wore a blue dress that matched the colour of the Scottish St Andrew's Saltire flag. 

@Coracle: Unfortunately, it had as much about the protestors [I believe that many were not Scottish but had travelled up from England, a sort of rent-a-crowd] as about the coronation.
I heard one sentence spoken by the King.

I expect you are right, & that the one sentence spoken by the King was a response or a thank you. Whilst we were flipping through the You Tube snippets; I did get a glimpse of the King wearing that 1540 AD Scottish crown, but not long enough to find out if he sat on the Stone of Destiny a second time. Unlike the St Edward's crown from 1661, that Scottish crown actually seemed to fit comfortably, even though it was older by far, & plainer to look at.

@Courtenay: Now the attitude seems to be "now that she's gone, the gloves are off" (I saw an anti-monarchy protestor quoted as saying something to that effect)

I think you could be right, when the protesters also seem to be part of the eventual outcome from Princess Diana's funeral, some 25 years earlier, last year. However, if the Monarchy goes, there will also go much of the entertainment & prosperity for the publishing industry, especially in UK & the Commonwealth, I'd imagine. Even if 75-year-old Queen Camilla may not have been seen as popular in that time, though I'm sure she does her best, at least Catherine, Princess of Wales, still is a welcome figure on important & seasonal occasions. 

Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2023 11:46 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I've just received my weekly copy of the International Express, for July 20-26, which reports some trouble going on in the BBC, itself. Last week's edition, for July 13-19, of 2023 did have a two-page spread, to describe a decidedly low-key event, little more than a presentation at a thanksgiving service, compared to the three-day Coronation festivities, starting on May 6th with the Coronation, itself.

Only the King, Queen, and Prince & Princess of Wales attended, three of them dressed in the robes of the Order of the Thistle. There were about 650 leading figures from Scottish national life who also attended, including Nicole Sturgeon & the present First Minister of Scotland, Humza Yousaf, who wants to replace the monarchy, according to the article, but who gave a Bible reading. We did see a bit of what happened in dribs & drabs, on TV. But it seems it was impossible to watch the thanksgiving service in St Giles, "melding the ancient & modern", or so it was said. Even the coverage was muted in magazines & newspapers, though I did find an online Daily Express article with some sort of recognition of the event. The Moderator of the Church of Scotland, who also assisted in the May 6th coronation, conducted the service, which, according to International Express, was said to have had beautiful music. "The Moderator, who was born & raised in South Carolina, but ordained as a Church of Scotland minister in 1999, added: Your Majesties, you have made it part of your mission to speak alongside Creation, advocating for it." 

"The sceptre, thought to be a Papal gift to James IV, [together with the Crown], was first used... at the coronation of Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1543". But this weekly newspaper, which I get at our local newsagent, also revealed that a new sword, named the Elizabeth Sword, with a very fancy hilt, a picture of which I have appended to this post, was carried by Olympic rower, Dame Katherine Grainger, was made for Wednesday's, July 5th ceremony, as the existing 16th century blade is now too fragile to use. Though the Stone of Destiny is now included in the Honours of Scotland, there wasn't a mention of it in this article. 

And now, these events have finally finished, we learned yesterday that the Victorian Government has closed down any idea of the Commonwealth Games being held in Regional Victoria in 2026, due to an inflationary cost blowout. I think it is now time to close down this thread, as well, so I will be contacting the moderators, now all the rejoicing is done. Sad  

Topic starter Posted : July 20, 2023 7:30 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@waggawerewolf27 thank you very much for starting the thread and keeping us up to date with reports.

I think we'll give it one more week in case anyone missed contributing but still still wants to.  I'll close it on 31 July/1 August.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : July 20, 2023 7:59 pm
Page 6 / 6
Share: