Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] SF: authors, Gilbert Morris and Lynn Morris

SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Welcome to the Gilbert Morris and Lynn Morris Special Feature. Here you can talk about any of their books.

A little bit about them: Gilbert Morris and his daughter, Lynn Morris, write historical fiction. Together they wrote the Cheney Duvall M.D. series and it’s sequel series, Cheney and Shiloh: The Inheritance. Gilbert Morris is the author of about 200 books including the House of Winslow series, the Singing River series, and the Lady Trent Mysteries.

Favorite series? My favorite series is Cheney Duvall, M.D. and Cheney and Shiloh: the Inheritance. You can't have one without the other. :)
Favorite book? This ones kind of hard, since I love the all of the books about Cheney and Shiloh. But if I had to choose one, either Secret Place of Thunder or Where Two Seas Met. :)

Please note: You can choose three characters in the poll.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : July 25, 2011 10:50 am
Scarlet_Trefoil
(@scarlet_trefoil)
NarniaWeb Regular

Favorite Morris series: Cheney Duvall, M.D. and Cheney and Shiloh: the Inheritance - of course! They are the only GM books I collect. ;)

Favorite Cheney Duvall books: Toward the Sunrising and Secret Place of Thunder. Both have more "mysterious" plots, and the dialogue therein is superb. I can't forget

Spoiler
Shiloh and Shadrach's amusing tales of the great exploits of General Nathan Bedford Forest (TtS)
or
Spoiler
Richard Duvall's clueless mutterings while his wife, daughter, and "aunts" ramble on in French (SPofT)

Favorite characters within the serieses are harder to decide upon. My sisters think I am more like Victoria Elizabeth Steen DeLancie

Spoiler
Buchanan
so naturally I have to put the Ice Queen on the list. Still working on the rest...

~Scarlet

“To love God is to love His will. It is to wait quietly for life to be measured by One who knows us through and through. It is to be content with His timing and His wise appointment.”
― Elisabeth Elliot

Posted : August 8, 2011 10:52 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

I'm currently rereading the Lady Trent Mysteries. They are really good. I think the first one is my favorite. Next I'm going to read the Cheney Duvall, M.D. books.

I read the early House of Winslow books a couple months ago, I read them so many times when I was in my early teens that I almost have them memorized.
;) I have a half of the series, but I don't read them much any more, since I have all of the Cheney and Shiloh books at my finger tips. :)

Scarlet is like Victoria, except

Spoiler
Scarlet has dark brown hair, not ice blonde
. :D

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2011 2:06 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Posting a wee note that this Special Feature will be closing Tuesday, August 23. And you know, I really enjoy well-written historical fiction, and have seen the Morris books many times at the local bookstore, but have never picked them up. Hopefully some day ... :)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : August 18, 2011 3:36 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

*feels sorry for this poor little SF with few posts and wanders in*

The irony is, upon peeking in here, I suddenly realized I have in fact read one of Gilbert Morris's series. And not only that, I own three of his books. :P

Digging around on Wikipedia (cause the books aren't at my house, my parents have them for some reason LOL, and I couldn't remember what I had), the series of his that I've read is the Wakefield Dynasty Series. Of course, the downside is that it's been a long, LONG time since I've read them so I can't remember if I even finished the series. Have you read this one SnowAngel or Scarlet_Trefoil?

What I remember about them was they took place in England and I think they start off with a family close to King Henry, (Or at least that's the time period) and then you follow each generation of romance in the family to when they come over to America. I think. :P

I distinctly remember liking the first one the best, that's The Sword Of Truth. But I also remember that there's a pretty graphic interrogation scene in it that I always skipped over. :-s

At any rate, this topic has inspired me to go get those books again and give them a reread cause I bet it's pushing 10-15 years since I last picked them up. :P

Posted : August 18, 2011 5:48 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

*manages to stick her head in*

Cheney Duvall M.D. and Cheney and Shiloh... now those series sound familiar... Oh yes... I have them on my bookshelves. ;) My deepest apologies for taking so long to post in here.

I also have the Lady Trent series, the Danielle Ross series (not the newer ones, the original). I also have the Wakefield Dynasty series. All seven.

The depth of historical research that the Morris' family put into their books are incredible. Anyone ever read the series on the Canadian Mounties that he did with his son?

Posted : August 18, 2011 6:36 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I've read Gilbert Morris' Bonnets and Bugles series, the teen sci-fi/fantasy series that had a sequel series... something like Seven Sleepers?... and the one that recast the story of David with the characters as mice. Sailing a ship.

Apparently not what the rest of y'all are reading/have read. ;))

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : August 18, 2011 6:59 am
Share: