Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What Really Defines A Beautiful Person In Narnia?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

As we all may recall, Susan's absence from Narnia has been a highly topic of debate. One argument stated that she got left out of Narnia because she is beautiful. Well, think again. It raises the question of what really defines a beautiful person in Narnia?

The White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle were described as being beautiful women. It wasn't their beauty that made them evil; it was how they've used it. Digory thought that Jadis was so beautiful when he first saw her in Charn; Polly didn't think there wasn't anything beautiful about her. Uncle Andrew thought she was beautiful as well. Prince Rilian thought that the Lady of the Green Kirtle was the "beautiful thing that was ever made." Even Eustace and Jill thought she was friendly and beautiful; Puddleglum is actually suspicious of her.

There were beautiful women that were good characters. Susan being described as being beautiful with hair down to her feet during the Golden Age; Lucy being beautiful in her own right,with golden hair. Jewel describes Queen Swanwhite as beautiful, that her reflection in the forest pool would reflect for a year and a day. Even Ramandu's daughter was described as beautiful, and Caspian was drawn to her innocence quality.

Beauty does not just imply for women; it could also be for men. Rabadash is described as being a very handsome prince, and at first, he appeared to be gracious, courteous and kind. Then later, he reveals his true nature as "being a cruel, luxurious, and self-pleasing tyrant" (the whole point of appearance can be very deceiving). Emeth is described as being "tall, dark and beautiful in a rather dark, haughty Calormene way." Some may even wonder what could that possibly mean.

There's so much that defines beauty in Narnia. But the question is, what really defines a beautiful person in Narnia?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 27, 2023 12:57 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

As we all may recall, Susan's absence from Narnia has been a highly topic of debate. One argument stated that she got left out of Narnia because she is beautiful.

I don't think that's even remotely implied by the text. Where have you seen this argument put forth?

It raises the question of what really defines a beautiful person in Narnia?'

Im not sure that your question does logically follow from that premise, but you seem to be suggesting that the books imply there is a different standard for beauty in Narnia compared to the real world? Again, I'm not sure there is any evidence in the book to suggest that.

Even if there were, most of the examples you quote are descriptions made by the narrator (i.e. CS Lewis) in the real world, who is presumably describing the characters as "beautiful" according to the notional standards of beauty that exist in our world, such that we the reader would understand what he meant.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2023 3:05 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@icarus 

When I say about the argument in regards to Susan's absence, it actually comes from, "Oh, she's left out of Narnia because she's a woman" or "Oh, she's growing up." Some even argue that CS Lewis was trying to get at that beautiful women are evil.

I think Susan was so caught up with her appearance, it caused her to lose interest in Narnia. It might be temporary, though we don't know for sure.

While it is true that there were evil women, such as the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle, that were described as being beautiful, well, think again. It's not their beauty that made them evil; it was how they've used it.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 27, 2023 4:37 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

My definition of beautiful is someone who is good-looking both in appearance and personality.

So Susan, Swanwhite, Lucy, Ramandu's Daughter, and Emeth are truly beautiful characters inside and out. Jadis, LOtGK and Prince Rabadash were good-looking but used their beauty in a wrong way thus they were only beautiful in appearance, just not personality.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2023 4:52 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Probably many people would choose Lucy Pevensie as their favorite character and the most beautiful person in Narnia besides Aslan. Lucy was certainly valiant and truthful, perhaps one of the most virtuous persons in our world and Narnia. But a character need not be perfect to be a beautiful person. I think something attractive can be found in the characters of Edmund, Eustace, and Susan in spite of their flaws. Edmund was just, Eustace became kinder after Aslan changed him, and Susan was always gentle. Lewis created great characters with deep flaws and marvelous conversions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2023 7:36 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

The technical answer as to what defines beauty in the Narnia books is "whatever C. S. Lewis thought of as beautiful since he was the one describing everything." But it sounds like the OP is talking more about what the theme of beauty is in the books. I'm not sure if inner vs. outer beauty is supposed to be a theme in them honestly. Sometimes evil characters are described as beautiful to send the message that appearances can be deceiving and sometimes good characters are described beautiful because however much we might say looks aren't important, we want the characters we like to be beautiful. (Actually, sometimes I'll a picture a character I like as being good looking even though the author specifically describes as unattractive. I just can't help it, I guess.) 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2023 7:50 pm
Courtenay liked
Share: