Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Do you wish that Narnia was a real place?

Page 2 / 4
IwishIwasinNarnia
(@iwishiwasinnarnia)
NarniaWeb Newbie

My username answers that question 😀 

I often imagine what the world looked like before technology and modern civilization came. We do have many beautiful parts of the world but I think it's easy to forget it is mere crumbs compared to what it once was. Narnia is a reminder of that albeit with a little more magic which makes it even better. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2022 11:21 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@iwishiwasinnarnia 

Yes, Narnia makes you long for a simpler world with less technology and the beauty of unspoiled nature. Sometimes the made up world makes the real world look hollow, as Puddleglum said about the underground witch’s kingdom.  Maybe someday our reality will be more like the real world used to be. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 16, 2022 2:10 pm
The Bulldog and Susan liked
fledge1
(@fledge1)
NarniaWeb Nut

I grew up in North Dakota, very close to the bad lands. We lived by a state park and my best friends dad was the park ranger and lived at the park so we grew up in the woods, riding horses on old native american trails and such. There was even a spot in a wooded area with a lamp post. We had MANY Narnia adventures. I looked in my closets up till college. Thinking God can do anything, maybe I will get there. 

I prayed for it for years. Now with kids when they were reading them, same thing. Lots of prayers for it to be real. So we have had to use our imagination. I recently started running, and when i go on the trials i still think about it often. 

I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2022 7:48 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have also wished that George MacDonald’s fairy tales were in a real setting. I think that there are places in Scotland that are a lot like those in the fairy tales, but they are much fewer than they were in MacDonald’s time. They are probably a lot like Narnia too. And just like Narnia on earth they are smaller and fewer in number,

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 28, 2022 4:55 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

I actually used to wish I was a Narnian centaur (still do, hence my username/avatar!). I guess Narnia has to be a real place in order for that to happen... 🤣 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2022 1:04 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've had an aunt and uncle who went to Alaska for work as well as a friend who taught at a school there for a year. From what I understand, Alaska is filled with forests and mountains, so the geography can almost be similar to Narnia.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2022 3:09 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasmine_tarkheena 

Northern Michigan is also much like Narnia in that it is filled with forests and much natural beauty. I remember that years ago when traveling there on vacation with my family. It does have wilderness like Alaska although the wild areas are much smaller in size. I often thought that this is the place where a wardrobe could lead you.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2022 4:14 am
Jasmine liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @narnian78

Northern Michigan is also much like Narnia in that it is filled with forests and much natural beauty. I remember that years ago when traveling there on vacation with my family. It does have wilderness like Alaska although the wild areas are much smaller in size. I often thought that this is the place where a wardrobe could lead you.

I haven't thought of that. There are a lot of forests where I am at in Oregon as well.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2022 7:54 am
Narnian78 liked
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
NarniaWeb Regular

I do wish it were real. It would be nice to just escape into another world, quite literally. The Lucy in the Disney version of the Chronicles of Narnia, I related to her as a child. Mainly because we had a similar hair style and the youngest of 4. I would look for wardrobes, which are rare to find in Michigan. When I found one that could potentially work, I opened it and found it had useless shelves. How dare they disrupt my imagination! Perhaps it would be a lovely design for a house to have a Narnian Wardrobe that goes into another room. I know that has been done with the TARDIS in Doctor Who themed homes. 

I just Googled to see if it's been done, and it has! Oh, this is lovely! https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna164102

“Auntie, why was there a nurse living in our walls?"
- Random Personal Book Quote

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2022 10:12 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@blue-jay 

I also live in Michigan.  Wardrobes may be hard to find here, but there still are many places that like are a lot like Narnia in the northern part of our state.  They are usually in the forested areas of our national and state parks, although there are plenty of other places too. In the area where I live in western Michigan the places are smaller but often are just as beautiful as the larger parks and forests.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 4, 2022 4:02 am
Blue Jay and Cleander liked
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@blue-jay, apparently this person found a way to incorporate a wardrobe into their office! 

I read the books as a somewhat older child, but I do recall sheepishly checking a few closets/wardrobes in my time! 

Where I live has pretty tame winters (like we MIGHT get half an inch of snow once per winter), so a place with decent snowfall would be fun... as long as it didn't last a century. 

I've always been a little disappointed with the modern world we live in. I'm grateful for the conveniences, but the overall look of it seems to have become sterile and boring compared to how things used to be (I believe even C.S. Lewis complained about this in Surprised by Joy). The unknown and wild places are still out there, but they're dramatically diminished. I guess that's why history has always held a fascination for me. While it's important not to overly romanticize the past, I think the world has in a way gotten just a little bit uglier. (Blame it on the progress of industry, I guess Sigh ) Then again, maybe that's why fantasy has taken off so well in the last century... so we have modernization to thank for Narnia! 

So yeah, I guess being able to escape to Narnia would be fun... hopefully I wouldn't be expected to save the world though! (You don't want the fate of Narnia in the hands of a mad poet, lol). 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2022 11:28 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator
Posted by: @blue-jay

I just Googled to see if it's been done, and it has! Oh, this is lovely! https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna164102

A green turf, which Gogel said feels pretty close to real grass, covers the floor, while a whimsical wallpaper hangs on the wall.

----------------------------------

Whimsical wallpaper - perhaps, but it is a classic! Originally a fabric from1883, it is one of William Morris' most well-known patterns.

And in my opinion well suited for a Narnia-themed room decoration project.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2022 5:14 pm
Blue Jay liked
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
NarniaWeb Regular

@narnian78 I do agree, Michigan has a "magic" of its own lol. I love going up to my uncle's cabin and staying there on vacations. He lives on a lake and he has me stay in this back room that is mostly windows to the lakefront outside. You can hear the tree's sway and the wind and the loons and the owls... The pines surrounding are massive and I love it!

@the-mad-poet

Where I live has pretty tame winters (like we MIGHT get half an inch of snow once per winter), so a place with decent snowfall would be fun... as long as it didn't last a century. 

Michigan mind as well have an 100 year winter by how the weather is at times lol. I like the snow but only want it for Christmas- after that, I'd like it to go away. I have Raynauds Syndrome and it causes me to be sensitive to the cold (Not Nord blooded I'm afraid!)

As for your note on modernization, I can agree to an extent (I'm both a history and sci-fi person). The wardrobe video was cool, just disappointed a bit to see that was the whole bit. I'd expect to see some fake pines and that fake grass from the previous post. A lamp post in the center of the room would be nice!

Yes, the saving the world thing would be scary in the hands of a mad poet indeed. Though, could be useful as a distraction. Resite the mad poetry, fool our foes!

@varna

Whimsical wallpaper - perhaps, but it is a classic! Originally a fabric from1883, it is one ofWilliam Morris' most well-known patterns.

Despite being a history lover, I hadn't thought to look into the wallpaper! (I found it a bit distasteful but that is because I expected more trees than walls haha!) I can see research was done, which is nice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2022 9:46 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @blue-jay

I just Googled to see if it's been done, and it has! Oh, this is lovely! > https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna164102

That's gorgeous! Wish I'd had something like that as a kid — and yes, if I ever have children (getting a bit late for that, but you never know what Aslan has in store... Giggle ) I would love to make a room for them like that too!!

Posted by: @varna

Whimsical wallpaper - perhaps, but it is a classic! Originally a fabric from1883, it is one of William Morris' most well-known patterns.

Oh yes, "Strawberry Thief" — I recognised it instantly. I have an umbrella with that pattern on it! Many of Morris's designs are still produced today and are still very popular here in England for a retro classic look.

One of my favourite designs by him is his huge tapestry "The Forest", which is now owned by the Victoria and Albert Museum in London (unfortunately it's not often on display); I think it looks particularly Narnian. You can probably see why... Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2022 2:57 am
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
NarniaWeb Regular

@courtenay At least if no natural children, adoption is an option! Besides, do we need an excuse to NOT have a wardrobe room?   LOL If I had the means, I'd like a room like that to share with others.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2022 4:44 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: