Notifications
Clear all

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Page 3 / 3
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @twigs

I am slowly making my way through the book. I am part way through "A Conspiracy Unmasked." I tend to think of the LotR as a serious series, but on this reading I have noticed that there is still some of the humor and lightheartedness found in The Hobbit. I also enjoy the part

Spoiler
A Conspiracy Unmasked
where Pippin splashes water in this bath to act out the song he is singing. It really helps show his personality and is funny.

I never thought of that as a deliberate action by Pippin - I assumed he was splashing about, or sliding up and down, accidently creating a big splash of water. 

'Crickhollow' is what I named my house (in the book it's a village, or area, I know). It was a safe refuge across a river, cosy and friendly. Recently my bathroom was rebuilt, and I chose plain white fittings but a few Shire elements - the front of the vanity has a woodgrain look,the walls are painted gold-yellow, and the floor vinyl is fake flagstones, which I'd assume the bathroom at Crickhollow had. (also fake worn and grubby look).

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2023 10:41 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @coracle

I never thought of that as a deliberate action by Pippin - I assumed he was splashing about, or sliding up and down, accidently creating a big splash of water. 

What do other people think? The last stanza if the song is:

O! Water is fair that leaps on high

in  fountain white beneath the sky;

but never did fountain sound so sweet

as splashing Hot Water with my feet!

Then Tolkien wrote: "There was a terrfic, .... It appeared that a lot of Pippen's bath had imitated a fountain and leaped on high."

Was it an accidental fountain or a purposeful fountain?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2023 9:35 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

To me it sounds like Pippin made that fountain on purpose as a grand conclusion to the song Tongue  

(also happily splashing his friend Frodo in the process).

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 10:04 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

My New Year's resolution is to read at least some of LotR 5 nights a week and to post here at least one time a week. We shall see how that goes. Nail biting  

Spoiler
FotR The Ring Goes South
When they are on the mountain,  Legolas says to Gandalf,  "I go to find the Sun." When he returns, he says "I have not brought the Sun. She is walking in the blue fields of the South, and a little wreath of snow [...] troubles her not at all" The idea of Legolas going to get the Sun has always seemed odd to me. This time around I began to suspect that it was only Legolas being "light of hear" and joking around because of Gandalf's comment, "If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save them." What do you think? Was Legolas actually trying to get the Sun or was he just scouting ahead? I can remember if I have read anything about the Sun being an entity that could be found and fetched. Similar to how stars are in Narnia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2024 9:43 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I realized how likely it would be for the Fellowship to have more arguments among themselves than actually happened. Gandalf was the leader but in different settings Boromir and Aragorn were also leaders. Boromir is used to getting his own way. Legolas is the Prince of Mirkwood so is probably also a leader and or used to getting his own way. Gandalf can have a quick temper. Of course there is tension beween the elf and the dwarf. It is very impressive that they were able to mostly get along for the greater good.

Spoiler
Moria and Lórien
At least until they lost Gandalf and were tested by Galadriel

Galadriel says of Celeborn, "... the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth," yet Galadriel 

Spoiler
rebuked Celeborn moments before for criticizing Gandalf and saying he wouldn't have let them in if he knew that the Balrog had been awakened.
Is Celeborn the wisest of the Elves? If I were asked to name the wisest elf, I would probably say Galadriel. What do you think?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2024 2:56 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@twigs
His being wisest of the elves doesn't make him omniscient, nor prevent his making errors of judgement. If I had been writing that part I would probably have Galadriel state that he is 'known as the wisest' or 'generally known as...' or even 'the wisest but may not always be right..'.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2024 3:47 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

If I were to name the wisest elf, I might say Elrond (unless he's excluded from the list for being half-elven...). But I'd give Celeborn a pass, because going, 'mmmm, balrog, NOPE' would be conventional wisdom, even if as readers we know Galadriel is correct in giving hospitality to the Fellowship.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 17, 2024 7:55 pm
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)

I've just found a quote from commentator Tom Shippey.

'The critic Tom Shippey notes that "Baggins" is close to the spoken words bæggin, bægginz in the dialect of Huddersfield, Yorkshire, where it means a substantial meal eaten between main meals, most particularly at teatime in the afternoon; and Mr Baggins is definitely, Shippey writes, "partial to ... his tea".'

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 22, 2024 9:15 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

It’s interesting that the first part of The Lord of the Rings is called The Fellowship of the Ring when the ring itself actually threatens the fellowship of the hobbits and the humans in the story.  I’m not sure how Tolkien thought of the title of the first part of the story, but since it introduces the book it must have been very important to him. He had to have a separate title for each of the three parts since the story was too long for his publisher to have it in one volume when the book was first introduced.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 23, 2024 3:35 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: