Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Horse and his Boy

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

The first book by C.S. Lewis we will be discussing is The Horse and his Boy. Feel free to post any thoughts and discussion questions you have. Use spoilers. Please read the section rules before posting. Here are a couple of questions to get started.

1. What is the theme or themes in the book?

2. Do Hwin, Bree, Shasta, and Aravis change during the story? If so, how?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 14, 2021 5:27 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

This is an interesting book, because it actually takes place during the time when the Pevensies are still in Narnia during The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe.

The theme could be seen as a longing for something greater. Shasta was a journey to Narnia, making him realize he was made for something greater, to save Archenland and Narnia from destruction. For Aravis, it was a journey of a better life than an arranged marriage.

These characters do change throughout. Shasta could be view as "a diamond in the rough"... you think he's a common slave at first, then it turns out he's a Prince of Archenland. Aravis is an upper class Tarkheena, but stands out from most Calormenes (that's what makes her and Emeth from The Last Battle stand out from the other Calormenes, because they both demonstrate humility). Bree learns how to be a wiser horse, and Hwin is sensible.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2021 11:41 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I have been listening to the book. I was struck by the different backgrounds of the characters and their morals.

Spoiler
Much of the book
Shasta was reared by a fisherman and thus has learned not to tell grown-ups anything. On the other hand he believes what Bree calls raiding is stealing, so he learned at least some about right and wrong. Corin has learned to tell the truth and is offended when Shasta hints Corin might not tell the truth, but doesn't mind sneaking out and settling any dispute with his fist.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 11, 2022 8:59 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I remember that my elementary school teacher read The Horse and His Boy to us when I was in the fifth grade.  That was my first exposure to the book decades ago. Has anyone else had the book read to them before they read it themselves?  I don’t know if today’s school teachers still read books to the their students. The same teacher read The Lion,The Witch, and the Wardrobe and The Silver Chair. She dramatized the story like an actor would. I don’t know if all of today’s teachers would have the gift of storytelling, but if they do they can make the story come alive.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2022 7:36 am
Courtenay liked
Share: