Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Poetic Justice In Narnia

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Throughout the series, there seems to be poetic justice played out. I'm not sure how the saying goes, "What comes around goes around" or "What goes around comes around".

Here are some examples of poetic justice-

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe- Edmund has been bully to Lucy by teasing her about the wardrobe and other worlds. In turn, he gets bullied by the White Witch and the dwarf.

Prince Caspian- Miraz manipulated his men to beg him to become king. That's what happened. After receiving a challenge of a single combat from Peter, Miraz gets manipulated by Lord Glozelle and Lord Sospesian.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- I guess the poetic justice in this could be where Governor Gumpas has been saying the King's name just randomly, like playing with fire. Then King Caspian shows up, and Governor Gumpas is caught off guard. It could also be where Eustace is turned into a dragon after having been a bully. It made him see what a beast he had been.

The Silver Chair- Eustace and Jill had wanted to get comfortable. When they do, they realized they were making a bad choice. It was discovered that they were going to be the giant's meal.

The Horse And His Boy- Prince Rabadash had wanted marry Susan, and that's all he could think about. He was cruel and arrogant. He gets turned into a donkey as justice.

The Magician's Nephew- He somewhat abuses Digory and Polly by manipulating them into trying on the rings. He eventually gets abused by Queen Jadis.

The Last Battle- Shift manipulates Puzzle into dressing up like Aslan, "We'll set everything right in Narnia." He later gets manipulated by Ginger and Rishda. It's like you want to tell him, "Whose the puppet now?" Also, Rishda had called on Tash, though not believing in him. Then in the stable, Tash shows up, and Rishda was in for a rude awakening.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2021 8:01 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

And in each of the cases that you mentioned here you could say that they had it coming to them. I thought of the wounds that Aravis received on her back as punishment for how she treated her slave.  Aslan gave her poetic justice. I don’t always like to see people who do bad things get punished, although I think they should be taught a lesson.  A story would be boring if you didn’t have any characters who made mistakes. I think it’s usually more enjoyable if they are redeemed and changed for the better as with Edmund and Eustace.   Some authors do not always have villains repent, but Lewis was kind to people who wanted to change.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2021 4:24 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78 I actually thought abou that. We've talked about it in my Sunday School class recently. I think God could do the same to us. Not necessarily scratch our backs like Aslan did to Aravis, but perhaps give us a bad feeling inside. God is a loving Father who teaches His children a lesson.

Eustace turning into a dragon can almost be seen as Saul going blind. They both realized their beastly behavior and in need of a savior. 

Rishda called on gods he doesn't believe in, and it seem they have come. He mocked the name of Aslan. He was thrown into the stable and Tash takes him. I think there's a verse in I or II Thessalonians or Timothy of how those who mock the name of God have been given over to Satan. So a lesson taught there. 

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2021 9:32 am
Narnian78 liked
Share: