Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Do you wish that Narnia was a real place?

Page 1 / 4
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have thought about this for years and lately I have wondered how other people felt about it. Did you ever wish that Narnia was real? Narnia is a lot like some of the most beautiful places we have here on Earth.  I think of our national parks and forests we have here in Michigan.  Narnia reminds me of Sleeping Bear Dunes or Pictured Rocks and also of some of the local parks with lakes and woods. I often have thought of how a lamppost would look in the beautiful places of our world. It is true that Narnia had its troubles like being under Miraz and the White Witch.  But that doesn’t diminish the beauty of the place as Lewis created it . 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2021 8:56 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am in the State of Oregon, and we have a lot of forests. The nickname is "The Beaver State" so I guess you could say it's a state that Mr. and Mrs. Beaver would love.

@narnian78, I've only been to the airport in Detroit. My parents and I were flying to Massachusetts to visit family, and one of our stops was in Detroit. 

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2021 9:51 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasminetarkheena

I have often wondered how the Dawn Treader would look sailing on the Great Lakes.  It would be interesting to travel aboard that ship on Lake Superior or Lake Michigan.  I would enjoy the view as you would enjoy a such a voyage on the Pacific Ocean along the coast of Oregon.  I have never been west of Minnesota, but the Pacific Northwest sounds really interesting.  

I would guess that Narnia has similar bird life to the UK since C. S. Lewis spent most of his life there.  But maybe there are wood thrushes, cardinals, and hummingbirds along with the skylarks and finches. I would think Aslan would have wanted them all in his creation. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2021 10:13 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78 I think where I am at on the Pacific Northwest, it would be more like a Lord of the Rings geography, because the horizon faces west. Much like Aslan's Country at the the Eastern End of the World, the Undying Lands is beyond the world's end in the west.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2021 3:08 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Every time that I see a wardrobe I think something like Narnia might be behind it. There aren’t too many houses here in America with wardrobes, but you can sometimes see them in pictures. The wardrobes would most likely be in older homes, but here we usually have closets.  Perhaps our real world is too practical and less interesting. Somehow wardrobes seem more magical than modern closets. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

The modern equivalent of a wardrobe is the media cabinet   😜 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2021 1:28 pm
Narnian78 liked
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Member Friend of NarniaWeb

When I was a child I definitely did.   I wanted to go there so bad.  Now as an adult I like the fact that I can keep it in my mind as something special.   

These are only shadows of the real world

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2022 3:16 pm
Gretel and Narnian78 liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@narnian78, did you know that in England, where the book was written, the word Wardrobe refers not only to freestanding wardrobes, but also built-in wardrobes? The wardrobes in my childhood home, built in the 1950s, were built-in. Most houses or flats (apartments) I've lived here had built-in ones.

@cobalt-jade, that's an interesting idea, but I've never kept clothes in my TV cabinet. 🙂

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2022 5:35 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

Where I live here in the U.S. the built in wardrobes were usually called closets. The wardrobes were generally the large free standing ones made out of wood or metal. Most of the houses here in Michigan have the closets built in the rooms. Of course the names for the clothing storage areas may be different for other parts of the country or in other countries of the world. The word wardrobe also refers to a collection of clothing. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 9, 2022 3:53 am
coracle liked
NarnianRose
(@narnianrose)
NarniaWeb Regular

Oh yes. Especially when I was a child, I used to wish Narnia was a real place. Even though I am now a twenty-something, every now and then I do wish/day dream about Narnia being a real place.

I live in Pennsylvania and in the winter, when there's snow everywhere, I love walking in our woods. It always reminds me of scenes from The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2022 1:40 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78 I've seen wardrobes at antique stores or even at Good Will and St. Vista de Paul's in the Eugene area in the State of Oregon.

There is part not far from where I live, there is a body of water, where I could picture Mr. and Mrs. Beaver living there.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2022 2:33 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasmine_tarkheena 

There is a county park not far from where I live in which people have said that a pair of beavers are living. The park is along a river. I haven’t seen any beavers there, but since there are over 200 acres of woods it is likely that they have at least visited the area. I have seen wood thrushes there in the spring. It seems a place a lot like Narnia in the variety of woodland birds.  I visit the park in May of each year to hear the beautiful bird songs. It is a place which is much like a little Narnia here on Earth. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 12, 2022 5:07 am
rainyweather
(@rainyweather)
NarniaWeb Nut

Personally (because this is definitely debatable, and my only evidence comes from scripture, and I'm not looking to get into a religious discussion at the moment), I believe there are other worlds out there. And who's to say there's not one like Narnia? There very well might be. Of course, it's all rather irrelevant to us, since we aren't able to get into that world (if it does exist) or communicate with beings living there. I suppose it's like Aslan said in HHB: "No one is told any story but their own." I'm sure (sticking with the assumption that there are other worlds) if we needed to know about other worlds at the moment, then we would. Anyways, I do wish Narnia was- or is- real. I wouldn't want it to be a place or kingdom in our world because I feel that would spoil the magic of Narnia, to have it be so... accessible? I don't know. And I'm not saying there isn't wonderful- almost magical- things in our own world. But if Narnia were a place in another world, a place some people from our world could sometimes, somehow get to- like in C.S. Lewis's wonderful books- I would like that very much.

"We shall all, in the end,
be led to where we belong.
We shall all, in the end,
find our way home."

- The Beatryce Prophecy by Kate DiCamillo

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2022 8:05 pm
Gretel, Courtenay, Jasmine and 2 people liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have heard of people looking in the back of wardrobes in our world to see if there might be something like Narnia on the other side. But I don’t think that you have to travel to Narnia to find something magical since there are real things like that here in our world. We have people and creatures similar to Narnia in our own world in Nature.   There are people who are kind and considerate here like the good kings and queens of Narnia. And here we also have the world of Nature, which is much like the beauty of Narnia.  It is especially in the birds and other wild creatures that live here that I see a world much like Narnia. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 18, 2022 4:59 am
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

I sometimes do think how cool it'd be to be called into another world like Narnia, even if only for a visit. Even if only in a dream! I always thought, for a long time... even as a child... about the pull of fantasy. There's no modern devices there and yet we all dream of going to such a place. Whilst I love playing video games, watching movies, and using my computer, I would not object being in a beautiful, more simple but magical world. I think that is why a place like Narnia is so enticing, because it's just so magical and not burdened by our modern things, PLUS it's a story of people from our world going to it, so I am sure at some point we have dreamed of what it would be like if we were Lucy, stumbling into it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2022 12:51 am
Gretel, IwishIwasinNarnia, coracle and 1 people liked
Page 1 / 4
Share: