Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Digory Kirke

PeterNotPevensie
(@peternotpevensie)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Hi all, 

Just wondering are we ever told what the Professor was a professor of?

If not what are people's best guesses?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 2, 2020 2:23 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

It's never made clear in the books. It is mentioned, however, that Digory is supposed to a famous professor- so it's likely that his field is pretty well-known. This is further supported that he is supposed to be helping Peter out with some studying in VDT- he's probably a teacher of some fairly common academic subject. 

My guess? Probably something to do with history, philosophy or literature.

It's easy to surmise that his time in Charn and Narnia may have given him a taste for such things. 

Also, it could be assumed that he has the same occupation as C.S. Lewis's tutor, who inspired the character. Does anyone remember what he was a professor of....?

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2020 9:43 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

He mentions Plato in The Last Battle so he's probably a professor of philosophy. He also stresses the importance of logic to Peter and Susan, which is arguably part of philosophy. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2020 10:34 am
Courtenay liked
Wanderer Between Worlds
(@wanderer)
NarniaWeb Nut

Going off of @col-klink's point, it is also possible that the Professor is a proponent of classical education, as grammar/dialectic, logic, and rhetoric are the three essential components (and classical education involves a lot of the Greek philosophers, including Plato). According to a quick web search, classical education began to wane in the early 1900s, seeing a sharp decline by the 1950s and onward. Digory is old enough to have been probably raised with a classical education, but Pevensies may not have at the point of LWW, which might explain his comment about "Logic! What are they teaching in schools these days?"

--Wanderer

"I am,” said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2020 8:43 pm
Share: