Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] VDT in 3D?

Page 4 / 4
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

so it's been confirmed that VotDT was filmed digitally.....and most of the time that means that a movie is in 3D!

Not true actually. Although almost all 3D films are shot in digital, the majority of digital films are not 3D. If you see what i mean.

It works as a rule one way round, but not the other.

Majority of 3D Films = Digital
Majority of Digital Films = Not 3D.

Posted : March 15, 2010 11:26 am
bkey
 bkey
(@bkey)
NarniaWeb Nut

VDT was shot with the same type of digital camera as was used on Public Enemies. It provides a much clearer picture, and its true that it does make conversion to 3D easier, if that route is taken, but shooting in digital versus on film is really just a stylistic preference of the DP and director, and as icarus was saying, doesn't necessarily imply anything other than that.

Posted : March 15, 2010 3:56 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

^slightly off-topic, but would filming in digital help make the CGI more realistic?

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : March 15, 2010 4:16 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

so it's been confirmed that VotDT was filmed digitally.....and most of the time that means that a movie is in 3D!

Not true actually. Although almost all 3D films are shot in digital, the majority of digital films are not 3D. If you see what i mean.

It works as a rule one way round, but not the other.

Majority of 3D Films = Digital
Majority of Digital Films = Not 3D.

oh! well that makes sense! then VotDT has a good chance of not being in 3D! yay!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : March 16, 2010 8:37 am
CorazonBandido55
(@corazonbandido55)
NarniaWeb Nut

I would think that making a movie 3D would increase its budget. Not a great idea.

your fellow Telmarine

Posted : March 18, 2010 3:24 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ good point! though, since they shot in digitally, would it make a difference now? hmmm.....

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : March 19, 2010 10:34 am
bkey
 bkey
(@bkey)
NarniaWeb Nut

Well, there would be costs for the conversion. I'm not sure how much that costs though. However, with the added cost the studio would be assuming that it would pay off and the movie would make more money since it's in 3D, which would be true. Tickets for 3D movies are usually at least $2 to $3 more than tickets to a standard 2D film.

Posted : March 19, 2010 11:41 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

Tickets for 3D movies are usually at least $2 to $3 more than tickets to a standard 2D film.

in that case, I hope it's in 2D! :p

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : March 19, 2010 2:13 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Tickets for 3D movies are usually at least $2 to $3 more than tickets to a standard 2D film.

in that case, I hope it's in 2D! :p

Aye, but isn't that just for the 3-D version, if they run both versions the 2-D will still probably be about the same price.

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : March 19, 2010 2:36 pm
bkey
 bkey
(@bkey)
NarniaWeb Nut

Correct. If Fox decides to release the film in 3D, viewers would still be able to choose to watch the 2D version instead of the 3D. Some theaters don't even have the capability to show films in 3D yet, so no one would be forced to watch the movie in 3D, but the option would exist.

Posted : March 19, 2010 3:08 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

Correct. If Fox decides to release the film in 3D, viewers would still be able to choose to watch the 2D version instead of the 3D. Some theaters don't even have the capability to show films in 3D yet, so no one would be forced to watch the movie in 3D, but the option would exist.

yes, I knew that and at least that's true.....but to have Narnia in 3D seems kind of.....cheep. :|

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : March 20, 2010 7:29 am
bkey
 bkey
(@bkey)
NarniaWeb Nut

I completely agree with you, Liberty. I still haven't jumped on the 3D bandwagon yet, and I hope it's just a passing trend. Hopefully people will be burned out from all the 3D films released this year. I know a few people who are already over it.

I have no problems with films being released in 3D, but only if its the director's decision and it's done right, i.e- Avatar. What I don't like is studios going in after a movie is done filming and forcing the director to convert the film to 3D in post-production just to make money, which is what we are seeing now with films like the upcoming Clash of the Titans, and would be the case with VDT.

Posted : March 20, 2010 10:58 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ some movies work well with 3D, i.e. "Journey To The Center Of The Earth"
but with movies like that, it works because the story lends itself to the 3D process and the viewer doesn't get taken out of the story. but with Narnia, 3D would just - in my opinion - provide a distraction from the plot and make it an almost funny, gymicky movie.....which doesn't match VotDT at all. 3D would make scenes like the Sea Cerpent sort of goofy. Narnia doesn't really lend itself to 3D.

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : March 22, 2010 11:17 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Closing this thread as it's rumor confirmed.

Posted : March 23, 2010 9:55 am
Page 4 / 4
Share: