Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Welcome to the New Reading Group

Page 3 / 4
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I don't know. I recently listened to The Screwtape Letters (the FotF radio drama) and I wouldn't call it apologetic (as in defending something). It was more a philosophical discussion in a fictional frame, if that makes sense. Same with The Great Divorce; the frame story is obviously that, a fictional story, but Lewis uses it brilliantly to explore spiritual concepts.

It's all part of Lewis' genius — it's hard to pigeonhole his works into neat categories! And that was very deliberate on his part. Douglas Gresham gives a little afterword on the Screwtape radio drama, and one of the things he mentions is how Lewis politely refused the request of a scholar to create a topical index for the book. According to Lewis, such an index would give the game away; it would attract the notice of those watchful dragons.

So I wouldn't be afraid to call these particular works "fiction," though a case may be made for both sides. I tend to categorize them in my personal library as "theological fiction," a tag that acknowledges the frame as well as the content.

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2010 10:55 am
nDroae
(@ndroae)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Thanks DOECOG! My copy is in the mail and should reach me by the end of the week. I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. 🙂

http://andromedaroach.deviantart.com/

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2010 11:00 am
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)

Please see our Word to Younger Readers if you would consider yourself to be in that category ;)

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2010 3:04 pm
Gladius
(@gladius)
NarniaWeb Regular

Yeehaw! I read the book in March at student convention, and it was absolutely shattering. Revolutionary. It's my new favorite Lewis book, as a matter of fact. I borrowed it from a friend just two or three weeks ago and read it again--even took a lot of notes!--so I'm very eager to hear and to share.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2010 3:25 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

My copy is on order and I'm looking forward to reading this book with everyone!

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2010 6:56 pm
Amira Tair
(@amira-tair)
NarniaWeb Regular

It has been a wonderful surprise to find there is a new reading group and about Till We Have Faces. I read it two years ago and absolutely loved it. I was deeply moved by this retelling of a classic myth which has always been a favourite of mine. Besides, its style, so completely different from the Narnia books, showed me how skilled was Lewis as a writer.
I am really looking forward to being part of this new reading group! :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2010 4:01 am
Queen Susan
(@queen-susan)
NarniaWeb Guru

Thanks, DOECOG!! :) I can't find our copy--I think maybe our sister owns it and it's at her house now. :p And the library we're going past today doesn't have a copy. So.. yeah. Thanks! :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2010 5:19 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Well, I picked it up today from the library so I'll finish the three chapters tonight as far as I can. This will be my first time reading the whole book, so I'm looking forward to reading it and discussing. :)

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2010 4:00 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I'm having trouble not reading on ;)) . When do we continue to read?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2010 5:08 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I got my copy in the mail today. I'll be reading it in just a few minutes... :D

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2010 5:18 pm
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)

The first batch of questions is up! Let's dig in :D

GtG, you can feel free to read ahead if you like. All that we ask is that you wait to discuss each chapter until we officially reach it (and if you do need to mention something that happens later in the book, use spoiler boxes). My first time reading Till We Have Faces I read it all in one sitting. I couldn't put it down ;))

Can't wait to really delve into this book with all of you! :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2010 2:18 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^oh yay! You don't know what a hard time I've had restraining myself from reading the next chapters! :p

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2010 4:42 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Oh we can read ahead as long as we only discuss the three chapters for this week? W00t! I was finishing the three chapters last night, kept on saying "just one more!" and then found that I was done with thirteen chapters and fretted that I would be banned from the reading group. ;))

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2010 6:27 am
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)

Oh no, we don't penalize people for reading ahead. I would be first in line if that was the case ;))

What is your favorite thing about the book so far?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2010 9:58 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Bella: haha too funny! I considered having my sisters hiding it from me :p .

wisewoman: my favorite thing is the writing! I love Lewis' style like this :D .

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2010 10:53 am
Page 3 / 4
Share: