Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 8

Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. What do you think of Screwtape's definition of humans as amphibians? Do you agree or disagree with the idea here?

2. Screwtape suggests that humans' lives are governed by the Law of Undulation. What do you think about this? Is he right or wrong?

3. Screwtape writes, "Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys." What do you think of this? What does it make you think of?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 24, 2012 3:46 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What do you think of Screwtape's definition of humans as amphibians? Do you agree or disagree with the idea here? It makes sense to me. I'm pretty sure there are Bible passages that hint at as much. It makes me think particularly of the following:

All of you must keep awake (give strict attention, be cautious and active) and watch and pray, that you may not come into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. Matthew 26:41

2. Screwtape suggests that humans' lives are governed by the Law of Undulation. What do you think about this? Is he right or wrong?
I think he his right. I've seen that in my own life. I think it is very similar to what people call an emotional roller coaster.

I'll answer the last question another time. I want to give other people a chance to answer it first.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2012 12:23 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

1. The principle, that we are both physical and spiritual beings, seems to make sense, given passages like the one Twigs quoted.

2. I'd also agree, at least from my own experience. We're not always 'riding high' spiritually; we live in a fallen world where things aren't always going to be great. (I've heard this described as "mountaintop" or valley experiences). I like Screwtape's point that often the Enemy chooses to make the most of those 'dry' prayers during the trough periods.

3. I really like this quote. To trust God, even when all seems lost, would be awesome.

I was reminded of the ultimate example: Christ on the cross. He experiences being forsaken by his Father and yet obeys:

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying...“My God, my God, why have you “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”...And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit. (Matthew 27:46, 50)

(edited)

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2012 11:48 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. Well, I'm not sure I really like the title of amphibians, but he's right in that we are both body and soul. ;))

2. Mmhmm, I would say that we do usually go through this process. I'm not sure that it's the law in every case, but as a general rule, it does seem to hold fairly well. :)

3. I love this bit. :) It's part of the reason we read our Bibles and pray and worship even when we don't feel like it. We wouldn't really need faith if we could feel God's presence and see His work all the time. He uses those times to make us grown more in grace and become stronger in Him.

Hehe, I didn't think of it then, but I really like gazer's point---Christ is the ultimate example of this. :) Also, David and Joseph come to mind. Israel wandering in the wilderness is a kind of negative example of this, where they didn't see God and so didn't keep following His will. ;))

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2012 10:04 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

3. Screwtape writes, "Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys." What do you think of this? What does it make you think of?
Like gazer, I thought of Christ on the cross. It also reminds me of Puddleglum's speech in SC. I think most of us have times when it seems like God isn't around. This passage is a good reminder that we should keep going no matter what.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2012 9:04 am
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. What do you think of Screwtape's definition of humans as amphibians? Do you agree or disagree with the idea here?
I think I agree. We are meant for another place in eternity but we seem to have the ''animal'' part too. It is an interesting way of thinking about humans, as hybrids because we are in time and meant for eternity.

It seems like he is saying that the tough times make them question but also makes their faith stronger in the end. It makes me think of Job and all he had to go through but he still didn't curse God for it.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2012 12:16 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

What do you think of Screwtape's definition of humans as amphibians? Do you agree or disagree with the idea here?

I think it depends a good deal on what C.S. Lewis meant by the "animal" part of us. If he means sinful flesh, then I agree with it. But if he means our physical body, then no. That reminds me too much of that quote so many people mistake Lewis as saying: "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." Because really, we don't "have" a body, either. We are a soul/body. We'll have physical bodies in the afterlife just like we do here.

Screwtape suggests that humans' lives are governed by the Law of Undulation. What do you think about this? Is he right or wrong?

I'm not quite sure what he meant by it. Was he saying that, in a constantly changing world, the only thing that stays the same is the fact that there are changes? :-

I think that's one of my favorite quotes from this book. It's very easy to obey God when you're on a spiritual high and can feel His presence everywhere. It's much harder, and therefore more meaningful, to obey him despite hardship or doubt.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2012 7:04 pm
narnianerd
(@assistant-lord-of-the-little-ponies)
NarniaWeb Guru

1. I think the amphibian analogy is perfect. We humans have to fight two different battles. Against the flesh and also against the powers that be. :P

2. Yes, we are governed by the Law of Undulation. We all start out strong in the faith and fall off eventually. Then for some reason we get a recharge. For me this usually happens at a retreat of some sort and then my excitement falls off as the year drags on.

3. This make me think of Job, it makes me think of the disciples after Jesus' death. I'm sure they all wondered what the heck they were doing at some point. I'm sure Paul might have doubted God for a split second before he was dumped into a pot of boiling tar. It also make me think of the persecuted church around the world. They look around and they see nothing but hatred and death. Yet they proclaim God's name.

If you ain't first, you're last.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2012 8:05 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm not sure I have much to add, since everyone said it all.

1. This was the passage that stood out the most to me the first time I read The Screwtape Letters. I like thinking about how we aren't merely natural creatures but are also supernatural creatures as well (or perhaps more correctly, primarily).

This passage reminds me of Galatians 5:16-25.

2. I certainly find certain interests more appealing at different points in life. Narnia, for instance, is a series I'm interested in at some points, and at others I don't think much about.

More to the point, sometimes God feels close, and other times far away. My hope, and God's desire, is for me to be fully devoted to Him no matter what my feelings. -Which I suppose sums up my answer for 3 as well.

PS: I think Paul was beheaded.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2012 3:32 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

What do you think of Screwtape's definition of humans as amphibians? Do you agree or disagree with the idea here?

I think it depends a good deal on what C.S. Lewis meant by the "animal" part of us. If he means sinful flesh, then I agree with it. But if he means our physical body, then no. That reminds me too much of that quote so many people mistake Lewis as saying: "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." Because really, we don't "have" a body, either. We are a soul/body. We'll have physical bodies in the afterlife just like we do here.

I quite agree about not having one or the other, but being both. And I think that is what he means about being amphibians, so I think I would agree with the idea (although don't like the term too much ;) ). We belong both to eternity and to time, but currently time is easier for us to understand - even though it causes undulation to varying degree. Our emotions especially go up and down.

I think that's one of my favorite quotes from this book. It's very easy to obey God when you're on a spiritual high and can feel His presence everywhere. It's much harder, and therefore more meaningful, to obey him despite hardship or doubt.

It's a very powerful statement, and a beautiful one. And the ultimate example of it would be, as some others also have mentioned, Jesus himself. In Gethsemane he chose obedience, and he didn't turn back on that decision on the cross when he asked why he had been forsaken.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2012 5:31 pm
Share: