Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Order of the New Narnia Franchise

Page 3 / 3
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

If it was done in chronological order, perhaps we don't even know that the Professor is Digory until either the end of LWW or even the end of the HHB.

I've been wondering if it is possible to do LWW and HHB as a pair. They could move the scene with the Hunting of the White Stag and the Pevensies coming out of the wardrobe from the end of LWW to the end of HHB. It could even give the Pevensies more to do as well. In The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, they moved the scene with Shelob from The Two Towers to The Return of the King, perhaps to give Frodo and Sam more to do in the last film. So if LWW and HHB ends up being done as a pair (oh, not rush through it like the BBC did with PC and VDT), perhaps it could give the Pevensies more to do in HHB.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 12, 2023 1:20 pm
WhiteStag liked
WhiteStag
(@whitestag)
NarniaWeb Newbie
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

They could move the scene with the Hunting of the White Stag and the Pevensies coming out of the wardrobe from the end of LWW to the end of HHB.

Yes @jasmine_tarkheena , I had thought this as well! It's a good idea, but I don't think they'll do it. I'm not convinced that they'll adapt HHB at all, but if they do, I recon it they'll save it for later in the series. Possibly a stand alone film released between VDT and SC? However, they could make some sort of reference to it earlier.

We'll see!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2023 3:11 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@whitestag 

Right. It may or may not happened. If it does, perhaps LWW could end on a cliffhanger, making the audiences wanting to come back for the next one. If it doesn't, HHB could still be third or it could even come second after LWW in publication order.

As I've mentioned before, there are things to keep in mind: LWW coming before HHB, MN, HHB, and SC coming before LB.

LWW introduces us to the Pevensies. Otherwise, audiences wouldn't know who they are in HHB.

MN will certainly have to be before LB. It wouldn't make sense to just have Polly showed up randomly with Digory. LB does make some references to MN- where Tirian and Jewel are at Lantern Waste (the book mentions, "A child from our world once planted the Tree of Protection"), and Tirian mentions to Eustace and Jill that Digory and Polly were the ones from the Dawn of the Time, when Aslan sang Narnia into existence.

SC is followed by LB in some aspect. Tirian mentions that he's seventh in descent from Rilian, so the family line keeps going until then. Perhaps a tutor (one similar to Doctor Cornelius in PC) could tell Tirian about Narnia's history, on whenever it was stirred up, and how it turned out all right. Plus, SC would certainly have to introduce us to Jill. It wouldn't make sense to have her just show up with Eustace.

HHB would obviously be our introduction to the Calormenes and their culture. Otherwise, if an LB movie introduce us to the Calormenes, audiences would be as surprised as Tirian and Jewel are when they see them at Lantern Waste. Though LB could make some references to HHB, perhaps Rishda going through Calormene history, revisiting on Rabadash's attempt on Archenland and Narnia.

So, as I've mentioned before, there things to keep in mind when it comes to the order of the new franchise.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2023 11:25 am
GiigiPevensie
(@giigipevensie)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Personally, i wouldn't want Lww or PC to receive new adaptations, i lke the ones that are there.

Regarding chronological order, my idea is this:

1. The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe 

2. The Magician's Nephew 

3. The Horse And His Boy 

4. Prince Caspian 

5. The Dawn Treader

6. The Silver Chair

7. The Last Battle

Taking into account the existing adaptations (less DT), the ideal would be to continue with MN and then HHB. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2023 10:19 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@giigipevensie 

In that order, you would still have a familiar story as the first one (LWW) but it would be followed by a prequel and a midquel instead. The way I see the publication order are LWW, PC, VDT, and SC as original stories, HHB as a midquel, MN as a prequel, and LB as a sequel.

You could even have LWW be first, and followed by HHB, and that be followed by MN. It would mix in the familiar the story with a midquel and it be followed by a prequel. LWW has been done so many times, so it would be nice to have HHB and MN, which has never been done before, into that mix. A way to do that is have LWW be first, and end that on a cliffhanger, followed by the HHB. Then it would be followed by MN, where we find out that the Professor is actually Digory Kirke, and audiences be like, "So that's where the wardrobe came from!"

PC, VDT, and SC are what I like to call "The Caspian Trilogy" since all these stories feature Caspian. PC is kind of a tricky one: the BBC TV series rushed through it and paired it with VDT, and even Walden Media had thought about skipping it. Well, I certainly wouldn't want Netflix or whichever company to rush through it or even skipping it. VDT is episodic, but if it ends up being a film, they better not making it about "We've got find seven swords to fight the Green Mist that wishes to steal light from this world!" I know Caspian has a brief appearance in SC, but where he is about to die without an heir is a major conflict in the story.

LB will certainly be a real challenge. Neither the BBC TV series nor the Walden Media Film Franchise could even get that far. Well, I think Netflix or whatever company has opportunity to do make it through all seven (hopefully). I think what will make LB a challenge to adapt to screen is that it's not your typical light hearted Narnia book... it's really dark and twisted. When I first read it as a 10 year, I didn't notice the darker themes as much. But when I re-read a few years back, my reaction was, "This is really dark and twisted, even for a children's book". I've even been wondering how a film or series will be able to pull this one off. Regardless of what order the new franchise will be, LB will certainly be the last one.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2023 1:35 pm
Fivefootnowt
(@fivefootnowt)
NarniaWeb Newbie

@rilianix I was wondering how they will work around the aging of the actors playing the Pevensies if they don’t shoot all their appearances back to back!  Did you hear how long it took Pippa Hall to cast the Walden Media films?  The casting brief called TLWW The Hundred Years Winter and Pippa called it The Hundred Years Casting.  She also had to see actors younger than they needed to be as she started casting well before filming began, it was a nightmare for all the UK children’s agents 🤣 my son was shortlisted for Edmund …… we were sooooo excited taking him to the recalls in South Kensington.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2024 4:32 am
Courtenay and coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

It will sure be interesting on what order they decide to do the new Narnia films in.

As I've mentioned before, LWW will certainly have to introduce us to the Pevensies. Otherwise, audiences wouldn't know who they are in HHB. HHB will certainly have to be before LB because it would certainly mess up with the introduction of the Calormenes and their culture. PC would also have to introduce us to the Telmarines as well before VDT.

So, as I've said before, there are a lot of things to keep in mind when it comes to the order of the new Narnia franchise.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 3, 2024 12:22 pm
Courtenay liked
Page 3 / 3
Share: