Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 7

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

As always, you do not have to answer all the questions.

1. Screwtape mentions a mental image of a devil as something in red tights. Is this the first thing you think of? Why or why not? Does the principal of because cannot believe in that, you cannot believe in any devil at all still apply?

2. Do you think the replacing of true religion with a 'Cause' is more or less prevalent and/or easier today?

3. Screwtape talks about wanting to produce "the Materialist Magician." Do you think such a person is possible? Why or why not?

4. What would you like to discuss? What did you find interesting? confusing?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 24, 2012 12:35 am
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

2. I don't agree with this at all. I think people who invest in causes rather than religion were just as prevelant in by-gone days. The difference is that they used to pay public lip service to religion. Or in some cases, they would use an extremely simplistic (mis?) interpretation of religion to back up their fanaticism. I suppose you could say it's slightly easier now, because religion is no longer a cultural expectation, so if you want to be a fanatic you can just go ahead and be one, no need for justification.

On the other hand, because society is a lot less cohesive than it used to be, and there is more emphasis on the individual, versus group responsibility, it's harder for fanatics to get organized and accomplish their objectives, for better or worse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2012 5:50 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Screwtape mentions a mental image of a devil as something in red tights. Is this the first thing you think of? Why or why not? Does the principle of because cannot believe in that, you cannot believe in any devil at all still apply? No, the first thing I think of is a red face, a black beard, horns, and a red pitch fork. ;)) I'm perfectly aware that is an artist representation so I don't find that it interferes with a belief in any devil. I think it depends on the person about whether or not the principle works. I could see some people using that line of reasoning. It also depends on how much the person thinks about it. If they think deeply on the idea, they will probably see that it doesn't make sense that because they can't believe a devil is something in red tights they can't be believe in a devil at all. If they just think briefly on it, they very well might think they cannot believe in any devil at all.

2. Do you think the replacing of true religion with a 'Cause' is more or less prevalent and/or easier today? Well, there are plenty of causes around. I think there were quite a few during WWII also. I could see how people could get so focused on a cause that it takes the place of "true religion" but I also think that many people skip the step of starting with religion and make the cause there religion.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 1, 2012 12:25 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. The idea of the Devil being something in red tights isn't usually the first thing that comes to my mind, but I would say it is a very popular notion and is the first thing that comes to many people's minds. :) I've grown up knowing that Satan and his demons are real and not something comic; just because they are under Christ does not mean they are to be laughed at and regarded lightly. I would say, though, that I'm pretty sure the "all-or-nothing" principle still holds true for a number today.

2. I'd say it's still pretty easy and prevalent today, but I'm not sure how much has changed. It seems like almost everyone has a cause to further and a hill to die on, and the Church is often neglected or treated simply as a means to further the cause.

3. I'm not sure, but I'd garner a guess that a person such as the Materialist Magician is possible. Man has quite a capacity for self-deception and ability to live in contradiction. ;))

4. I found Screwtape's mention of the factions and the Church interesting. There really can be a fair amount of self-righteousness in small, elite groups (even if they're good ones) and then jealousy when others join. I think discord in the Church can be one of the hardest things to deal with, and sin and division there can be so crippling.

I could see how people could get so focused on a cause that it takes the place of "true religion" but I also think that many people skip the step of starting with religion and make the cause there religion.

I'd also say that simply by making a cause their religion, they're replacing "true religion" with it. :)

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 5, 2012 11:23 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

1. The "red tights devil" may not be quite what people think of, but it reminds of the proverbial little devil/angel figures on a person's shoulders encouraging them to do something good or bad. This portrayal sometimes appears in television shows or commercials, and at least to some people it may have the same effect Screwtape mentions: "No one really believes in little angels and devils like that."

But as ValiantArcher points out, this all-or-nothing may apply to some but not to all. It's certainly possible to not accept little devil figures on one's shoulder but still accept that the devil is real.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 9, 2012 9:24 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

3. I'm not sure, but I'd garner a guess that a person such as the Materialist Magician is possible. Man has quite a capacity for self-deception and ability to live in contradiction. ;))

I agree. Throughout Screwtape has advocated keeping the patient in a realm of fantasy / acting one way in one setting and another way in another. It isn't that far of a jump to get to the Materialist Magician.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 20, 2012 8:56 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I don't think of a devil in red tights, but it is good to have the reminder that even my imagination of a devil is just an artist's conception.

2. I won't speculate on more or less prevalent, but it certainly is present today. Lewis made a good point in that we should use what we do to serve God, not use God to serve what we do. (Hmm... I think I'll contemplate that for a while.)

3. I think such a person may indeed be possible. Some people, because of their dedication to "science" refuse to believe in God but then assume (hope? wish?) that aliens exist. Some have theorized that aliens don't come from other planets, but from other dimensions. What they are describing (but don't realize it) are demons. If they continue to travel down that path, it is conceivable that they could look to "aliens" for help and answers but actually open themselves up to demonic activity. Thus you get a materialist (or atheist) magician (or "scientist"). There is a character in That Hideous Strength that illustrates the mindset that Lewis is alluding to here.

I think discord in the Church can be one of the hardest things to deal with, and sin and division there can be so crippling.

That is why it is so important to have grace for others and not to gossip. A church that is unified in love is a powerful thing indeed. Perhaps that is why devils work so hard to break churches apart.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2012 7:03 pm
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. Screwtape mentions a mental image of a devil as something in red tights. Is this the first thing you think of? Why or why not? Does the principal of because cannot believe in that, you cannot believe in any devil at all still apply?

No, not really something in red tights. I don't really know but I haven't seen any pictures with a devil with red tights. But I usually think of an evil looking black gullom looking creature with wings. Well, no not for me, but that is just me.

2. Do you think the replacing of true religion with a 'Cause' is more or less prevalent and/or easier today?

It think it can be done any time period in any country. I don't think it has to be a certain era to be easier.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2012 2:31 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Screwtape mentions a mental image of a devil as something in red tights. Is this the first thing you think of? Why or why not? Does the principal of because cannot believe in that, you cannot believe in any devil at all still apply?

When people say the word "devil" I think of the cartoon. The red horned thing dancing around a bonfire which is supposed to be "hell". When people say "demon" I usually picture a gargoyle. So, it depends on the word that's used, when it comes to the immediate mental image. I don't think they actually look like red things in tights. :P

A lot of people use the cartoon images today to make belief in the devil look silly. It isn't an accurate argument, though, because that image isn't Biblical.

Do you think the replacing of true religion with a 'Cause' is more or less prevalent and/or easier today?

Definitely. There probably aren't too many people who don't do it somewhat.

Screwtape talks about wanting to produce "the Materialist Magician." Do you think such a person is possible? Why or why not?

I think it's possible. It reminds me of the people I know in real life, who think belief in God or souls is silly, but who put great stock in "karma" or positive and negative energy.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2012 6:53 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

When I was younger, I knew the Devil was a serious subject, but I think I tended to see him more like Screwtape says "something in red tights" not because I took him lightly, but because that is how he is sometimes portrayed in something as simple as a cartoon, like when the devil and angel are on each shoulder of a man trying to make a right decision.
I don't see him that way now of course.
Back when the movie The Passion of the Christ came out, some people asked why the Devil was portrayed the way he was in the film.
Mel Gibson (the director) replied:
"I believe the Devil is real, but I don't believe he shows up too often with horns and smoke and a forked tail. The devil is smarter than that. Evil is alluring, attractive. It looks almost normal, almost good—but not quite."

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2012 2:14 pm
Melian_Maia
(@melian_maia)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I never really thought of Satan as something in red tights. It was more of the little devil that hovers over your head and tempts you that I imagined. I'll blame it on too much TinTin and Tom and Jerry when I was little. ;)) I do believe in the devil, but I try not to dwell too much on him. I'd rather think about his Enemy. ;)

Honestly, how easy is it to get sucked into causes anymore? TOMS shoes and so many other products make it extremely easy for us to 'make a difference in the world' while not having to have a set religion.

)

Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie!Secret Order of the Swoosh

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2012 5:45 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

Some have theorized that aliens don't come from other planets, but from other dimensions. What they are describing (but don't realize it) are demons. If they continue to travel down that path, it is conceivable that they could look to "aliens" for help and answers but actually open themselves up to demonic activity. Thus you get a materialist (or atheist) magician (or "scientist"). There is a character in That Hideous Strength that illustrates the mindset that Lewis is alluding to here.

I'm afraid you're right about this. Opening oneself up to spiritual influence other than of the Holy Spirit lays one wide open to demonic influence. In such a situation it would be better for Screwtape to maintain the idea of an "alien" rather than exposing himself as a demon. The term "alien" is generally not seen as something quite so negative.

I think discord in the Church can be one of the hardest things to deal with, and sin and division there can be so crippling.

That is why it is so important to have grace for others and not to gossip. A church that is unified in love is a powerful thing indeed. Perhaps that is why devils work so hard to break churches apart.

That's why Pauls speaks up against it already in the early church. "The Church herself is, of course, heavily defended", but I fear that when there is division, then one also to some degree moves out of that defense.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2012 5:07 pm
Share: