Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] "Awakening" - A Lucy Dark Island Wallpaper

Dekkie
(@dekkie)
NarniaWeb Nut

Well fellow NarniaWebbers, it's been quite a while since I've posted anything here... I hope you still remember me! It's also been quite a while since I've completed any wallpapers. I have missed making them like crazy, so this evening I took an old idea I had and decided to see what I could do with it.

The words are lyrics from Chris Tomlin's song, Awakening, a favorite of mine. I love relating favorite songs to Narnia and thought this one would go perfectly with the moment from the book when Aslan as the albatross whispers, "Courage, Dear heart," in Lucy's ear.

I'm obviously a bit rusty in my wallpaper-creation skills, and I couldn't think of many things to add to this one. If you guys have ideas of anything I can do to improve it, please share them, as well as other comments/criticisms! Many thanks!

(It's also an awkward size... it looks fine on my mac, but if anyone wants to use it and needs it resized I'll do my best to do so!)

"Oh telescope, keep an eye on my only hope,
Lest I blink and be swept off the narrow road.
Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me,
'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need.
For He is the saving grace of the Galaxies."

Topic starter Posted : June 3, 2011 7:57 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Very nice. That's the part I wish they had made more of in the movie, since it was such a great part in the book. I think the wallie does a good job of creating the moment that kind of... never made it to the film, but should have. :)

I like the screenshots you chose, and the text you used for the word Awakening. :D I would have done more with the lighting and coloring though, and used a different font for the other text. ;)

~Riella =:)

Posted : June 3, 2011 8:26 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

beautiful! I love the lyrics - they are perfect for this picture! the blending is great and the colors are great too! good job! do more! :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : June 4, 2011 6:52 am
malkah
(@malkah)
NarniaWeb Guru

Really nice work on this, Dekkie! :) The design is simple but very effective. The coloring is rather dark, but I think it fits the mood of the wallpaper. And I do love how you lit Lucy's face to reflect the beam of the albatross. :D It might be better if the text on "Awakening" was brighter; it's a bit hard to see at present and lightening it up would reflect the wallie's concept of the light coming through the darkness. But that's a tiny nitpick, and overall it looks great! ;)

Lovely job!

the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics

Posted : June 8, 2011 8:54 pm
Dekkie
(@dekkie)
NarniaWeb Nut

Thanks so much for your comments, Ithilwen, Liberty, and malkah!

Ithilwen, I definitely am with you on wishing they'd made a bigger deal of this special moment in the movie! That's one of the reasons I was excited to make this WP. I see what you mean about the lighting and coloring, they are rather drab, but as malkah said I thought it went with the "darkness" of the island and the situation.

Liberty, thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I will definitely be doing some more in my summer free time!

malkah, thank you so much for your encouraging comments! The critique you had about the dimness of the "Awakening" text was very helpful, and I'll fix that and post an edited version.

"Oh telescope, keep an eye on my only hope,
Lest I blink and be swept off the narrow road.
Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me,
'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need.
For He is the saving grace of the Galaxies."

Topic starter Posted : June 12, 2011 8:13 pm
Quinlin
(@quinlin)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Great job, Dekkie! I don't think your photoshopping skills are bad at all. The blending is amazing and I like how you positioned the photo of Lucy in relation to the flying albatross. The one thing I agree on, is that the picture is a little dark. As mal said, I like the dark feel to it, as this moment is actually so bleak, but I just think some sharpening and enhancing of colours would work wonderfully without changing the tone of the wallpaper. I actually like the fading on the word 'Awakening' because they seem more mystical that way. :)

I find the lyrics especially touching because they go along with this beautiful moment so well and remind me of a time when I felt a similar 'Awakening' much as these lyrics describe! In this difficult time in life for me those words are all the more meaningful...I'm going to listen to the song right now! :)

Lovely work!

We have nothing, if not belief.
—C.S. Lewis

Posted : June 17, 2011 3:53 pm
Share: