Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Ratings of the Future Movies

Page 3 / 5
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think even if they do manage to turn LB into a PG-rated movie, we'll still have people coming on here and whining about how violent and dark it was. :P Might as well go for the PG-13.

Topic starter Posted : November 11, 2009 2:30 pm
Eustified
(@eustified)
NarniaWeb Newbie

It wouldn't break my heart have one or two PG-13 movies. Afterall the books were ment to appeal to all ages and even thow there's only been two movie's have released I get the feeling that they are not considered as more then just kids films.

Posted : November 12, 2009 5:31 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Eustified, you'd be fine with say a 5 year old reading the Last Battle?
Oh dear.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : November 12, 2009 9:29 am
Eustified
(@eustified)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Without a doubt . Little kids are much more intelligent and resilient then there given credit for. I can say with complete confidence that a five year old could read The Last Battle and understand as well as not being scared.

Posted : November 16, 2009 4:21 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

These days children in general aren't resilient at all and they watch things far above their maturity and get scared easily. Granted each child is different but that's still something to consider. I don't consider children to be stupid, I wish more adults had a child-like faith and imagination. I envy them.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : November 17, 2009 11:51 am
Lady Galadriel
(@lady-galadriel)
NarniaWeb Junkie

You know, some children may are scared of the White Witch. I never found LWW too scary, but I found LB really, incredibly creepy. Not to mention being bothered by the fact that all the characters die in the end. And if one is already scared of LWW, what are they going to think of LB?

Posted : November 22, 2009 2:42 pm
Lucy P.
(@lucy-p)
NarniaWeb Nut

My dad read LB to me and my bro when we were 6 & 5, and we were fine.

However at that age we would not have been ok at all with seeing a movie like LOTR in theaters or perhaps even at home with the light on. And yet when The Return of the King finally came out my 4 yr. old bro saw it at a theater with us and loved it.

Different movies and books are scary for different kids, but there has to be a general standard. LB (book version) is fine for children aged 0+, but a cinematic version of the story might merit a PG-13.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Posted : November 23, 2009 6:30 am
The Servant
(@the-servant)
NarniaWeb Regular

Well, I can only imagine The Last Battle being rated PG-13. Really, it should be, because if it wasn't, it could properly bring about the sadness and darkness of Narnia ending. Really, Narnia ending is very sad. I hope they make it really dark and sad enough, but make there be a shivering sequence once they are in Aslan's Country. WOOO HOOO!

- The Servant.

Prayer partners for Skandar Keynes. PM Benjamin to join the group!

Posted : November 26, 2009 5:00 am
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I think LB and SC should be PG-13. Though the darkness of the films really depends on how a directer interprets the book.

I read Last Battle when I was 8. I didnt think it was too violent or scary. Rather I was really dissapointed that they destroyed Narnia, and I was EXTREMELY mad when Lewis didnt let Susan go to Aslan's country.

Winter Is Coming

Posted : December 5, 2009 2:50 pm
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

Why? Did anyone even like Susan until the movies? :P

Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2009 9:08 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Nice one Booky! I didn't like her until the movies.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : December 7, 2009 12:09 am
tenthofthatname
(@tenthofthatname)
NarniaWeb Regular

Hilariously I admit the same. I didn't care for Susan until the movies. Funny how the films have change our perspectives.

Also I feel there's a huge difference between a child reading "Many people died." and a child seeing people die on screen. I personally have an issue with the way violence, death, and other mature concepts are handled in the Narnia books but can understand why these things weren't addressed as realistically as they could have been. Unabashed brutality is not necessary for the moral, ethical, and emotional aspects of something like death. At the same time I really felt Lewis didn't explore any of those areas as well as he could have. The movies on the other hand do address some of these aspects (though at other times go overboard with bloodless violence) and that's why I adore the night raid sequence, because Peter's expression when Glenstorm nods to his son through the gate then his son turns around to face his death was subtle without the gore. Also love how how subtle but utterly nasty it was that Miraz ordered Glozelle to slay his own men for public relations purposes. We never see it happen but the implication that it could happen at all was great.

My personal preference is to have that realism and a mature grasp on violence and death...which would turn all the books (excluding VDT and TMN maybe) into PG-13 stories. I doubt Lewis ever intended for his stories to address such topics in full, perhaps only approach them in a way that introduces the idea to an audience without having to capture it viscerally. In that sense I feel the stories are "clean" and for films to adapt them faithfully the films should be clean, ie. less graphic. But sacrifice, murder, lopping off someone's head, whipping servants, cannibalism, massacring people, going to war, etc. are not clean subjects. There's only so much bloodless violence you can capture on film before it gets hokey, so it's a very careful balancing act.

Posted : December 7, 2009 11:01 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

LB should be PG-13! that story is violent in the book, so it would be crazy on screen!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : December 16, 2009 9:12 am
lostin1800
(@lostin1800)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think it should be rated 12(PG-13) to show its darkness and its more adult and has a more serious theme. I mean compared to the other books LB is much more darker.

*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~

Posted : December 23, 2009 3:42 am
Laura E. A.
(@laura-e-a)
NarniaWeb Regular

It seems like PG would be fine. Although Tirian and Jill and Eustace die, they aren't exactly killed, but thrown into the stable, which is the door to/of death. The part where the horses are killed might make anyone shudder (I love horses), and in the movie it will be awful seeing them all falling as they are charging up the hill. BUT the Narnian books are more Fairy tale than epic, if you know what I mean, and PC tried to be more like LOTR than like Prince Caspian. So I don't think we need a long drawn out battle between a thousand Calormenes and five hundred Narnians. I never, ever imagined all those Telmarines in Prince Caspian before the movie, and I still can't imagine them when I read the book. In LB there were about thirty Calormenes (remember that, movie makers! Lewis gave us the number!), and then some more joined them. There were also only a very few Narnians with Tirian: the dogs, the small creatures (I can't even remember if they fought or not, since they aren't mentioned after they are sent to free the horses), the bear, the boar, Jewell, Puzzle, Poggin, and of course Jill and Eustace. So the battle doesn't need to be epic, but of course people who haven't read the books will be expecting it after PC, so... but, I don't think that the movie really needs a PG-13 unless they have a huge epic battle, and/or have the scene where the Calormenes attack Cair Paravel, or if they have Tirian fall in love (ugh!). Because, well, Jill and Tirian are not hugely apart in age (she, according to the timeline, is 16, and he is 'between 20 and 25 years of age'). Sorry for the long post :-s

God's hardness is kinder than the softness of man, and his compulsion is our liberation--- C.S.Lewis

Posted : December 23, 2009 8:41 am
Page 3 / 5
Share: