Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Caspian - Ben Barnes

Page 1 / 15
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has sailed into production and now King Caspian the Seafarer will return to Narnia as portrayed by Ben Barnes.
Welcome to the newest thread about Caspian for discussion on three topics!

1) Ben Barnes in his role as Caspian
2) Ben Barnes in his other roles and public appearances
3) Ben Barnes in the news! (Gossip is still off limits!)

Yep, you read it correctly! We are tweaking the topic to allow discussion about Ben outside of his role as Caspian. We're including discussion on other roles that he has portrayed, and any news about Ben Barnes (gossip and rumors about the actor's personal life are still off limits!). So have fun and welcome to the new thread!

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

Topic starter Posted : August 27, 2009 7:07 pm
Queen of Narnia
(@queen-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

Welcome to the newest thread about Edmund for discussion on three topics!

I don't want to sound like a faultfinder, just wanted to mention you'll have to correct this. :p

Anyway! I'm looking forward to seeing Ben as now King Caspian. From what we could see in the pics so far they've changed his look a lot. I'm almost about to believe that he won't even have an accent in VDT, at least not such a heavy one as he had as a prince. (somehow that wouldn't fit either)

I suppose Ben gained more movie acting experiences within the past year, too. He acted in a lot of different films (Easy Virtue, Dorian Gray, Valediction), so this could be advantageous for his play in VDT, too.

I've seen Dorian Gray at a special screening last week in London and though it's not the best adaption of the book I have to say I liked Ben's acting. Unfortunately the movie tells the story of Dorian Gray too superficial so Ben didn't get a lot of a chance to portray Dorian more in-depth but yet you can see - thanks to his play - the changing of the character Dorian from completely inexperienced at the beginning of the movie to totally corrupted at the end of it.
And since the portraying of King Caspian also brings along changes of the character (from prince to king, becoming more mature and responsible) it might be helpful to Ben that he already played Dorian Gray.

Posted : September 4, 2009 5:24 am
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

Thanks, Queen of Narnia. We need and appreciate help with things like that. Is now fixed, Ben is no longer Edmund. :D

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

Topic starter Posted : September 4, 2009 5:53 am
lover of narnia
(@lover-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

Third post!!! :) Well I came on here to express me feelings for caspian. I love him in PC and really like the way he protrayed his role as the young Prince Caspian. He made him just innocent enough, to make you feel sorry for him and the predicament he was in.

Queen of Narnia: You've seen Dorian gray? Woah......I heard it's a really really really dark and creepy movie. PLus Dorain does a lot of MEAN things. But I still like Ben Barnes.

I'm really looking forward to VOTD and seeing him as a king. It will be nice to see how Ben translates into that. By the interbiews so far, he looks like he is enjoying it. Even if the kids are "Stealing his Thunder" =)) Personally I think he was joking when he said that.

Even though it's not to the book I'm looking forward to seeing battles in VOTD and seeing Ben fight again!!!!!

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6

Posted : September 4, 2009 6:01 am
Queen of Narnia
(@queen-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

Dorian Gray for sure is entirely an other kind of movie then VDT is going to be. I already read a few comments of people who wish he wouldn't play in such kind of movies. But we have to remember after all Ben's an actor and not the reborn Caspian himself. And as an coming up actor how's he supposed to turn down the leading role in a movie based on a literaly classic?

I like him as Prince Caspian too, lover of narnia. And I'm also looking forward to seeing him as King Caspian because I'm really curious to see how much Caspian has changed.

Posted : September 4, 2009 6:18 am
lover of narnia
(@lover-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

Queen of Narnia: some times even I even wish he hadn't played in that kinda role. But as long as he stays the same Ben Barnes he used to be, I won't have any problem with it. Yeah VOTD is going to be so excting. :)

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6

Posted : September 5, 2009 3:54 am
Queen of Narnia
(@queen-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'm pretty sure he'll stay the same as he already is. I mean after all it's just a job. And remember his parents both are psychiatrists, they will certainly keep him down-to-earth. :D

Posted : September 5, 2009 8:22 am
JadistarkilleR
(@jadistarkiller)
NarniaWeb Regular

we're allowed to talk about Ben's other projects? seriously? what happens when the projects are a little "risqué" or things that are a little beyond the Narnian demographic? somebody already mentioned Dorian Gray, and that opens a whole can of worms

anyway, i figured since this is the new Caspian thread, it is but fitting to have the image of King Caspian on the first page:

... and imagine Reepicheep as the orange stick behind him :)

edit: and in case anyone gets antsy about posting those pictures-that-shall-not-be-named, this photo has been posted on a UK site already, so this one's fair game.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.

Posted : September 6, 2009 12:02 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Yup, just as long as the discussion is within the rules of the forum. :) We decided to expand the threads a bit.

Posted : September 6, 2009 3:08 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think he looks better with the beard. As long as he doesn't grow it to long. It makes him look more like a king rather then a prince.

Posted : September 6, 2009 3:10 am
fauntastic
(@fauntastic)
NarniaWeb Regular

The beard is definitely going to take some time to get used to. Ben isn't the Caspian anyone imagined in the book, but he's a great actor and will play King Caspian well.

Prince Caspian has been a huge open door for him as well. I guess he only accepts leading roles now! :p I wish him luck with his career and look forward to seeing him in future films (Narnian and not!).

NW sibs: Windsong and Lucy Took

Posted : September 6, 2009 5:18 am
Queen of Narnia
(@queen-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

That might well be, thanks for the tip! I was wondering what this stick could mean.

I agree with you, IloveFauns. As long as the beard doesn't get too long it does make him look more kingly. Yet I think the visual change from Prince Caspian to King Caspian is a huge one. There is a huge difference between his look in PC and how he's going to look in VDT. After all just three years have past in Narnia, that of course doesn't mean he couldn't have change a lot withint these years, yet Lucy and Edmund will be surprised to see him that mature. :)

Posted : September 6, 2009 5:42 am
JadistarkilleR
(@jadistarkiller)
NarniaWeb Regular

That might well be, thanks for the tip! I was wondering what this stick could mean.

I agree with you, IloveFauns. As long as the beard doesn't get too long it does make him look more kingly. Yet I think the visual change from Prince Caspian to King Caspian is a huge one. There is a huge difference between his look in PC and how he's going to look in VDT. After all just three years have past in Narnia, that of course doesn't mean he couldn't have change a lot withint these years, yet Lucy and Edmund will be surprised to see him that mature. :)

a lot of the changes to Ben's appearance as King Caspian has also to do with the fact that the kids (Skandar and Georgie specifically) have grown a lot over the past couple of years. although the make-up department are still trying their best to make them look like kids, the obvious maturity in both actors cant be denied. so in that regard they amped up the maturity on King Caspian as well. they had to make him visibly older and more kingly. its true that they could've not added the beard, but this is Ben Barnes, the guy notorious for playing teenagers for most of his career. he is naturally young looking, and as much as the kids have visibly aged, he hasnt :)).

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.

Posted : September 6, 2009 3:57 pm
Sleepwalking
(@sleepwalking)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think he looks better with the beard. As long as he doesn't grow it to long. It makes him look more like a king rather then a prince.

I agree, he looks much more like a Narnian king with the beard. Is it just me or does he almost look a little like the adult Peter? =/

I haven't seen any of Ben's other movies, so I don't have anything to say about them. =)

NW sibs: MissAravis, evenstar101, Heroine of Chivalry
Twin: winterlife

Posted : September 6, 2009 5:07 pm
belzinga
(@belzinga)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Hey does anyone know if Ben is going to be in Toronto for TIFF? I saw in the paper (Toronto Star) that Dorian Grey will be showing at TIFF which got me wondering....

(sorry if I have posted this to the wrong area :-s)

My Galleries
My website has CHANGED click link above for further details

Posted : September 7, 2009 7:51 am
Page 1 / 15
Share: