Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Thanksgiving 2020

SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

I'm not sure where November has gone, but it's going fast and soon it will be Thanksgiving Day here in the United States.

In the past, I have started this thread the beginning of the month with my favorite Thanksgiving tradition and a prompt to the share what you are thankful. Previous years my family has had a jar (or two or three) that we filled with candy and nuts with each piece being a different people, place, or thing we were thankful for. This year we haven't filled a jar with candy and nuts yet, but we have been busy filling a notebook with people, places, and things we are thankful to God for. Some days we have a theme like a favorite meal, places we have been, people we know, books, items around the house, or this year we have drawn Scrabble tiles and done our "thankful fors" starting with the letter drawn. The Scrabble tile draw has made for some great ideas and some bad ones, but mainly it has brought additional laughter to our family time. Smile  

• Do you usually have the tradition Thanksgiving meal?
  • What are your favorite traditions or memories of Thanksgiving?
  • What are you thankful for this year? 
I'm thankful for...
~God the Father
~my Lord and Savior, Jesus
~the Holy Spirit
~the Bible
~my family
~the Mod Squad Hug  
~All of the wonderful people here on NarniaWeb! Smile  
~laughter
~coffee
~books

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : November 14, 2020 1:22 pm
johobbit liked
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Thanks for starting this thread, SnowAngel! 🙂

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday - all the togetherness of Christmas but far less stress, the wonderful last hurrah for autumn (my favorite season), and the food is nothing to sneeze at! My family tends to do a big Thanksgiving and a small Christmas, which is just the way I like things. We have the staples - turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and usually some sweet potatoes, and the veggies may vary. But where we really go all out is the pies. I think last year, we easily had 8-10 different pies on the pie table. And believe it or not, it mostly got eaten!

For obvious reasons, this year we're not doing the big family gathering. I see it as an opportunity to practice Thanksgiving recipes on a year when we have a little more time and fewer people. My mom is trying to perfect making gravy - she likes nice, thick gravy, but we never seem to have enough. Hopefully by next year, we'll have it down pat!

Some things I'm thankful this year are:

• Safety for my family and friends - it's been a rough year, but so far, we're all pulling through
  • A stable job, and the ability to work from home for the foreseeable future
  • A recent burst of creativity!
  • Seeing my immediate family for Thanksgiving and still at least having the time off to unwind

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : November 16, 2020 9:28 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

~Zoom meetings, phone texting, phone calls, and other ways to stay in touch

~Nice weather to get outside and go for walks, bike rides, or just play

~Teaching old dogs new tricks! In this case I've learned how to knit and my kids and I have been doing Spanish on Duolingo

~Being able to homeschool my kids. Is it hard? Yes. But I'm thankful that I haven't had to deal with the school system during this time.

~My husband has a job and has been able to work from home.

Posted : November 17, 2020 3:36 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Oh, just thinking about that many pies is making me hungry, @Ryadian. Grin A couple months ago my mom took a food sensitivity test and currently eggs and most dairy are a no for her, so this year we are having birch sap pie for Thanksgiving. However today my sister Scarlet is planning to test a no egg, no dairy pumpkin pie. Smile   Having seen the ingredients list, I am optimistic about the final result of the new pumpkin pie recipe.

I'm thankful for...
~Family time
~Joy
~Substitutionary atonement
~Photography
~Libraries Love
~Dark chocolate 
~Coffee mugs
~Scrabble
~Sweaters
~Wool socks
~Christmas shopping
~Black Rifle Coffee Company
~Wretched radio
~Apologia Studios

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : November 21, 2020 12:57 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Like most, Thanksgiving is going to be very different this year. We're still not sure what it'll look like, but it'll be tiny.

I'm thankful for a lot of things, but a partial list (in no particular order) is:

• Being able to take and pass an important exam this year
  • My job and the people & leadership in my company
  • My friends and family (including a number here!)
  • Library pickups
  • Books and stories
  • God's graciousness in so many ways

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Posted : November 21, 2020 7:59 pm
johobbit liked
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Even though 2020 was rough year, no doubt about it, there was also much to be thankful for. 

+ My son, who was born this August

+  The rains that came early this year (which in Zambia is a big deal)

+ The fact that my brother-in-law was finally able to fly from back home from Cuba and reunite with my sister and their son after being separated from them for 10 months due to lockdowns, borders being closed, and no air flights

+ My family and the fact that they are all safe and healthy

This post was modified 3 years ago by wild rose

always be humble and kind

Posted : November 25, 2020 6:41 am
SnowAngel liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Our Thanksgiving Day was much like last year. We had brisket, gravy, cheesy potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, green peas, and cranberry jello salad for lunch and tomato soup with fresh bread and cheese for supper. Dessert was birch sap pecan pie with whipped cream enjoyed mid afternoon. 

We played ColorKu, Catan, Scrabble, Quiddler, and Occupations, we also did an entire thousand piece puzzle. Giggle   It was a full day.

Today I am thankful for Christmas! Grin And Christmas lights, Christmas ornaments, Christmas music, Christmas foods, Chistmas books....

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : November 27, 2020 5:20 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I'm thankful for the renewed appreciation I have for things like church services and the fellowship there, gathering with family and friends, as well as the virtual substitutes. Smile  

(Thankful for all of my NarniaWeb friends! Hug )

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : November 27, 2020 7:33 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

We had the smallest gathering for Thanksgiving that I can remember, but we also may have very well had the best Thanksgiving dinner I can remember. 🙂 My mom successfully perfected her gravy, and she tried a new technique for the turkey, and it all turned out really well. We had mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, homemade stuffing, cranberry sauce, and salad because I decided we didn't have quite enough food. LOL

We did a Zoom call in the evening with family, taking advantage of the fact that Zoom generously lifted the 40 minute time limit on group calls for the day. Time zone issues meant that some of us missed each other, but it was nice to at least see each other. Plus, we have a tradition of playing telephone pictionary* every year, and... my sister found an online version of the game! That was a lot of fun. 🙂

*Telephone pictionary starts with everyone writing down a word/phrase on a piece of paper, and passing it along to the next person in the group. That person then has to draw what the person before them wrote. The next person has to guess what the drawing is supposed to be, and so it goes until the paper gets back to the person who started it.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : December 1, 2020 7:49 pm
SnowAngel liked
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

In a sense it was more like Lentsgiving. But there is much to be thankful for, for a Lord who never leaves us nor forsakes us.

I mostly had chicken and the good bread. 🙂

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

Posted : December 17, 2020 3:14 pm
Share: