Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Star Trek

Page 3 / 4
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

If you like old Star Trek novels Corona by Greg Bear is quite good. It’s not a bad story about a world threatened by a protostar.  I don’t know if it would be considered great, but so far the story is at least interesting and there are Vulcans and other people of interest besides Mr. Spock.  There were many of these novels published in the 1980’s. They were almost mass produced, but there were some good ones based on the original series. I think at least some of them are worth a read.

Here is more information on the book:

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Corona_(novel)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 15, 2023 6:25 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Deep Domain by Howard Weinstein is also a decent Star Trek novel. If you like adventures on water world planets the story is for you. The location may be unique among the planets explored in the original series.  The novel would probably have made a good Star Trek movie or perhaps it could have been condensed into an episode or two of the original series, although the time setting might have to be changed since it is after Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It is a fine novel. 🙂

Here are more details of the book’s story:

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Deep_Domain

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 21, 2023 2:11 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wonder if anyone here has watched this Star Trek fan fiction movie:

The story is quite interesting. I liked the animation even though it was not high budget and looked rather primitive. It reminded me of the animated series of the 1970’s, which I remember liking in spite of its plainness. This movie had a rather old fashioned charm like the original series. It was a little strange having different actors perform the voices of the characters, but I think they did a fairly good job. I thought the movie was quite enjoyable for something that was created by fans so many years after the original series. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2023 2:36 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I’m somewhat skeptical of non-canon Star Trek. Some of it is good (e.g. the novels and fan movies I mentioned) but other stories invented by fans do not always get the characters right.  The audio story “The Time Stealer” from the 1970’s has Kirk’s voice played by an actor with a voice nothing like William Shatner, and the comic strip doesn’t show the characters very accurately.  I kind of liked some of the stories, but when they are converted to audio they don’t work so well. The other actors’ voices didn’t resemble anything of the characters from the original series. I usually will like something vintage like the animated series, but of course in that series the original actors performed the voices. It was much more authentic to the premise of the original series.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 21, 2023 2:19 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I found this animated version of Star Trek: Voyager. 

The audio is from one of the original episodes of Voyager. The video was animated in the style of the animated series, which was made in the 1970’s. I thought it was quite interesting. It shows how the later Star Trek shows would look like using the older style of a series that was made decades ago. It is low budget, but it has an old fashioned charm. Sometimes “old school “ has its advantages. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 3, 2023 2:23 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I love reading the novels based on the original series.  Vulcan’s Glory by D. C. Fontana is a story about Mr. Spock when he served under Captain Christopher Pike.  Dorothy Fontana was one of the best writers for Star Trek: The Original Series. I really am enjoying the book and highly recommend it. The books written about the original series have some of the most interesting stories and some of them are prequels. They are much like the Star Trek: Enterprise television series and have a pioneer quality about them.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 22, 2023 4:46 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have noticed that in fan fiction (especially the videos on YouTube) they don’t always get everything right.  On one video the ship the Excelsior was made to look almost exactly like the original NCC 1701 Enterprise except for the name on the ship’s saucer. If you look on the movies and there was an episode of Star Trek: Voyager in which the Excelsior had a completely different shape when it was commanded by Sulu.  I don’t remember that it ever looked like Captain Kirk’s Enterprise in the original series. There is also a fan video based on the animated series in which one man does all the voices for the male characters, but his voice is nothing like McCoy’s and Scotty’s. Sometimes the stories are quite good so some the videos are worth watching. If you like the animation of the 1970’s often something much like it is also used.  I can say that it is somewhat enjoyable although primitive looking when one considers the limited budget used by the fans who made the videos. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 25, 2023 3:14 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I like the animated series much more now than when I first saw it on television decades ago. The stories are just as good as most of the original series episodes. It was so unfortunate that the animated series only lasted for 22 episodes. It probably would have continued longer today since there are many more Star Trek fans. As for the animation itself, it was kind of primitive looking, but it was intriguing in its own way. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 28, 2023 4:06 am
Meister Yoda
(@meister-yoda)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Despite my handle I pretty much like Trek.

I didn't watch the animated show though. But I think it will be a good start for the kids at the end of the year when Prodigy enters netflix.

When I grew up the original shows were already old and later Next Generation came into existence.

I remember watching dutch TV with questionable quality over antenna because they had some Channels that had them regulary. In a combination of guessing from the dutch words in the subtitles (which are sometimes quite similiar to german words) and trying to understand the original audio with my limited English I got  most of it I think.

For the new shows I think they aren't bad as is, but they suffer from the same issue all serialized shows have.

If the story  and/or the final episode is weak, the whole season suffers.

With the episodic approach of the older shows, it's not a big issue if some episodes are at least subpar.

All in all great that there is still star trek.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2023 6:29 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@meister-yoda 

Star Trek’s original series third season had a few poor episodes like Spock’s Brain, but most of them were at least watchable. I think Star Trek had more quality science fiction than most shows of that genre back in the 1960’s. The other shows like Next Generation offered much good quality television, but I think the original was the best. It took me a while to appreciate the animated Star Trek, but now after reading the books with the collected expanded stories by Alan Dean Foster I like it about as much as the original series. There are excellent stories in all of the shows based on Star Trek. 🙂

My family is of Dutch heritage so I am somewhat familiar with it. I can understand some German even though it was decades ago that I studied it in college.

It is interesting to know how popular American science fiction programs such as Star Trek are in Europe. Apparently it is loved there about as much as it is here in the U. S. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 30, 2023 11:22 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

@Meister Yoda: Despite my handle I pretty much like Trek.

Yes, Star Trek seems to go on forever, and I think there is a thread for Dr Who, as well. But have you seen any of the tales of "The Mandorian", a spin-off from the Star Wars series? The Mandorian fits between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. The Mandorian's co-star is a baby Yoda.  It is streaming on Disney channel.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2023 2:07 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@waggawerewolf27 

Here is the link for the thread Classic Doctor Who:

https://community.narniaweb.com/index.php/community/the-spare-oom/dr-who-audiobooks/

Star Trek is almost as old as Dr. Who, although there are more big screen adventures made for it. I like both about equally, and I think often it is the same people who are fans of both of the series and movies. I have liked Star Trek for decades beginning with the original series, but I began to like Dr. Who only about ten years ago when seeing the old classic series on DVD.  The DVD’s offered complete stories of the series instead of just one episode at a time.  I liked the series much better than when I saw it on television during the 1980’s.   I guess it’s the unique adventures in space and time and interesting characters on Dr. Who and Star Trek which attract me to this kind of science fiction and fantasy. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 8, 2023 3:34 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I don’t know if people here have ever watched the fan fiction videos of Star Trek.  They are available on YouTube TV and on the regular You Tube website. They are a bit amateurish, but they are fun to watch. They are mainly stories about other starships such as the Mojave, which was commanded by Captain Tom Morgan. The CGI animation is a little strange, but it is fairly good about showing the ships traveling through space. Sometimes there are connections to the original series, and there are different actors playing the Enterprise crew.  There are also stories about the crews of some of the other starships of the Federation. Of course it isn’t canon Star Trek, but the videos are very entertaining just like some of the noncanon novels. I think most of them are worth watching and would recommend them for entertainment. 🙂

Here is a link to one of the videos:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 11, 2023 8:55 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

It’s interesting that most of the Star Trek fan videos have better technology than was available in the 1960’s for the original series.  The acting is generally not too bad, although I think the original series had better stories, and the actors were more experienced. But then you can’t expect something made made by fans to be as professional and well made as the original series was so many years ago. I am not disappointed in most of videos and I think they are well worth watching. It is just like many of the fan fiction books based on the original series are well worth reading. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 15, 2023 5:04 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I would encourage any Star Trek fan to read the novels based on the original series. I have ordered Wounded Sky by Diane Duane in hardcover, a book I haven’t read before.  Many of the older Star Trek novels are still available, which is very fortunate.  I have also recently purchased three paperback sets which contain some books that I haven’t read previously (except one book).  The stories aren’t perfect, but generally they are quite good. In fact they might have made some fine television adventures in the 1960’s when the original series aired. I think I will like them as much as the other Star Trek books that I have read. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2023 11:57 am
Page 3 / 4
Share: