Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special highlight: State and County Fairs

Page 2 / 3
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Well, General, it is coming on autumn in Minnesota by now, I'd imagine. Allergies galore, especially where the animals and produce are being displayed. Perhaps you'd enjoy county fairs a little more. And you can have fairs that don't have much to do with displaying farming produce. Let me explain.

Once we went to a traditional British fair put on by those organisations catering for British ex-pats and migrants as well as those of British descent. It was in a large paddock with stables close by, in Sydney's outer suburbs. There weren't any animals on display, but there were stands with all sorts of weird and wonderful things. Mead, Elderflower wine, spiced liqueurs, strange sorts of cordials and soft drinks plus much else. Pork pies, an English delicacy from Melton Mowbray, I believe, were certainly there, as well as ye olde Cornish pasties, though we didn't try any since they are standard take-away fare.

You could try your hand at archery with three goes for a couple of dollars, which was very popular, and which I thought was a really cool thing for me try. . They also had displays of armour and other medieval things in connection with a display of weaponry throughout the ages. There was also a traditional Romany fortune-telling tent, advertising what you could see in a crystal ball, though we gave that a miss.

Different parts of the fair were devoted to the Welsh, the Irish, the Scots and the English, themselves. Including the Cornish. So we had teatowels with traditional recipes you might find in Wales or Scotland, for example, bannocks or jugged hare, as well as lacework, tartans, looking up one's family name and ancestry, Celtic-style jewellery etc. Unlike those Scottish occasions such as at Bundanoon (which yearly becomes Brigadoon), I didn't see any tossing of the caber. But there were bagpipes, and there was dancing I believe, including English and Irish dancing, as well as Scottish. And we did see people wearing the sorts of costumes associated with various parts of the United Kingdom.

Other national groups, the Dutch for example, do similar things in showgrounds in Sydney, as well as in other places, like in Goolgoolga, where we saw on TV the very successful Sikh festivities held there some time ago. These can be quite colourful events, and I am not sorry I went to the British fair. However, these sorts of cultural fairs can be occasional or one-off events, unlike your county fairs or our own country town shows.

waggawerewolf27, thanks for the Aussie Show report!

Or was this all just porkies?

Porkies?! My grandfather used that word when he was visiting. Us kids had never heard it before, but now we're all using it. It's nice to know another person uses it, too. /digression

:) You're welcome. Did your grandfather come from London or Australia? In rhyming slang, used in both London and extensively here in Australia, pork pies rhymes with 'lies'. Just as having a Captain Cook means the same as having a look. The expression 'porkies' is a shortening of pork pies, which as I mentioned earlier, is a British delicacy. And as this was an election year it is only to be expected that a lot of porkies, flying pigs etc as well as pork-barrelling politicians might well be in evidence even at fairs or shows. ;)

Getting back to food at fairs, one thing I remember with great fondness, was the fairy floss which I think you would call candy floss, judging by Charlotte's Web. This was pink and sometimes green, like cotton wool spun onto a stick, but it always tasted lovely. I'm somewhat too old for that sort of thing now. But I used to love watching the machine the attendant used to make this delicacy of spun sugar. And then there were the brandy waffles: lovely thick clotted cream inside a crisp brandy-flavoured waffle, curled into a cylinder. Proper dairy cream, not the stuff made from lard we usually got in commercial cakes and things in the 1950's.

I wonder. Do you have fairy floss at your state fairs? Or toffee apples? (Toffee apples were real apples on a stick, dipped into a bright red toffee glaze which was hardened by the time people bought them).

Posted : September 10, 2010 1:48 pm
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Your fairy floss we call cotton candy in Minnesota. Toffee apples sounds like caramel apples, which while usually eaten on a stick, can be sliced, with the caramel poured on.

There are traditional gatherings here that we call renezvouse. People dress in the style of the 1800's. Many go to great lengths to be as authentic as possible. While the "mountan man", or fur trapper, is common, many will take on the role of farmer, gunsmith, blacksmith doctor, or even indian. Though the latter must be done with some care, as there can be some offence taken by some people. There usually are games, and competitions such as bow, tomahawk, shooting, and fire-making. There is also opportunity to make, and sell wares, such as clothing, tools, jewelry, etc.
While I am only starting this, others I know have been doing it for decades

Posted : September 10, 2010 7:45 pm
Shantih
(@shantih)
Member Moderator Emeritus

We have a county fair every year, this year it was a bit of a washout but a lot of people turned up. It's more of a county show than a fair I think, from hearing what american state fairs are like. A lot of it is livestock showing and equine displays. I entered the show jumping there a few times when I was younger. There is some other competitions though, like cakes and preserves, that sort of thing.

I used to mainly enjoy seeing all the animals, there's always a lot of rare and unusual breeds to see, and the displays by the RAF. There were also racing camels this year :p

Adeona - I think 'porkies' is a fairly British expression, comes from 'telling porky pies (lies)' :p

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

Posted : September 11, 2010 1:37 am
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)

*pops into thread*

This year at our town fair I tried out for ambassador :D Was competing with two other girls, sadly didn't win but it was pretty fun anyway. And I got to go around with the winner the next day and do ambassador-y things so I was fine. Basically means you do a lot of waving and wear a crown and hand out ribbons to people who have won things ;))

When I was younger, in 4-H, I showed my sheep at our town fairs. :D The 4-H shows are definetly my favorite part of a fair. Although I wouldn't want to be showing again, as my memories are stress/cold/wet/stress/nerves, it's lots of fun to watch :P

I was a member of 4-H, and most of my siblings still are, so for the past few years we've practically lived at the county fair. This year, we're taking animals to the State Fair. That should be exciting.

Oh, what animals are you showing? :D
And, "practicly living at the fair" sure sounds familiar. When we were showing sheep we'd be up at the crack of dawn (literally. UGH) in the freezing cold and then have to arrive bright and early and find a place to "camp" with all our gear, and stay there for what seemed like hours.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : September 11, 2010 6:36 am
Adeona
(@adeona)
Thursday's Wayfaring Child Hospitality Committee

Thanks for the perspective on animal showing, Valiant_Lucy. My family raises goats, and while at the fair I was thinking it would be neat to try entering them. Well I can assure you, I am NOT a morning person! ;)

Wow, Shantih - Racing camels! I didn't know that was something England has. And the RAF displays sound neat. :)

Mmmm, "Fairy floss" sounds so much more wonderful than "Cotton candy". I didn't even know that the term was still being used...

Regarding "Porkies" - thanks for all the background information regarding that term! My grandfather was born and raised in America, but is not too many generations removed from England. I guess the term has been passed down the generations (though it seems to have skipped my mother!).

"In the end, there is something to which we say: 'This I must do.'"
- Gordon T. Smith
avi by Flambeau

Topic starter Posted : September 11, 2010 8:53 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

waggawerewolf27, your fairs sound more fun lol

Posted : September 11, 2010 3:02 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

General, your Minnesota State fair sounds very like the Sydney Royal Easter Show, or the other State shows in Perth, Melbourne and elsewhere. Maybe your fairs have less industrial exhibits and more farming and animal displays.

Your fairy floss we call cotton candy in Minnesota. Toffee apples sounds like caramel apples, which while usually eaten on a stick, can be sliced, with the caramel poured on.

Thank you, Puddleglum and Adeona for your info about fairy floss. There was at one time you could buy it everywhere, not only at the Show but at local shopping centres as well, whenever someone turned up with that spinning machine thingy that spun the fairy floss. All that seems to have gone over the years.

I didn't know toffee apples could be eaten with caramel sauce, as ours tend just to have the hard glazing on them and then you crunch the apple, same as usual. In fact I didn't know that you have caramel sauce over in America. I thought that what we called caramel you called fudge. 8-}

Some of the food that people have mentioned so far being available at fairs, sounds a bit weird. Deep fried lemonade? Deep fried Coca Cola? We've had deep fried ice-cream for ages but that can be bought at Chinese restaurants.

There were also racing camels this year

That would have been something to see. :D We have racing camels in the Outback, like in Birdsville. They had to call off this year's race because for once it rained there. ;)

I understand that what is meant by a county in UK or USA is something like what we mean by a municipality or a shire. We don't seem to have counties in Australia.

Posted : September 13, 2010 11:40 am
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Thank you, Puddleglum and Adeona for your info about fairy floss. There was at one time you could buy it everywhere, not only at the Show but at local shopping centres as well, whenever someone turned up with that spinning machine thingy that spun the fairy floss. All that seems to have gone over the years.

If you ever have the opportunity to come to America, just go to almost any majore sporting event, and you will have cotton candy being sold. Even some shopping centres have it. I know I have seen it sold at Wal-Mart.

I didn't know toffee apples could be eaten with caramel sauce, as ours tend just to have the hard glazing on them and then you crunch the apple, same as usual. In fact I didn't know that you have caramel sauce over in America. I thought that what we called caramel you called fudge. 8-}

Oh Now you did it. Mentioning fudge is just making my mouth water. Fudge in America is not just the common chocolat any longer. But we have mint, coffee, almond bark, while chocolat with almonds,,,,,,, That's it [-( I must stop, or I will have to go looking for the samples my wife and I bought.

So much for diets.

Posted : September 13, 2010 6:01 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Must show off a moment....

:D/
My husband and I ate most of the salsa before I finally got my ribbons yesterday.... Hence, why it's mostly gone. hehe ;;)

Posted : September 20, 2010 10:29 am
Shantih
(@shantih)

You won't believe how much that makes me wish I had some salsa Well done :D

I understand that what is meant by a county in UK or USA is something like what we mean by a municipality or a shire. We don't seem to have counties in Australia.

I think our counties are slightly different from the US, in that they have states which are then divided into counties, whereas here counties are the only division.

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

Posted : September 23, 2010 6:00 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Awwwesome, fantasia. A huge congratulations to you! *wishes she were on the test team of food submitted to a fall fair (although, to be honest, I'm not a big salsa fan, yet I adore tomatoes)* :P

Here in Ontario, we commonly have town fairs, which are just so quaint. Homemade goodies, simple—and sometimes not-so-safe :P—rides, vendor booths, livestock, candy floss, caramel apples amidst the colourfully-changing autumn leaves and the crisp scent of earth and refreshing air.

A huge national fair in our fair country is the Canadian National Exhibition, which is known country-wide, and is open for 18 days at the end of the summer holidays, culminating on Labour Day. From its meager beginnings in 1879, it has grown by leaps and bounds over the years, attracting millions, generating a healthy revenue for Toronto and the province. I faithfully went every year as a teen, but then moved away from the city, and haven't been since. I well remember the 1 cent Pepsis back in the 70s ... and the lineups for them. :P

Another treat in Ontario, and a fair I much prefer now, is the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. It's a bit younger than 'the Ex', having first opened in 1922. The abundant produce displays (I especially love the wheat sheaths and all types of gourds), the acres upon acres of animals—fowl, cows, horses, pigs, sheep, goat, the intricate butter carvings, the large room of Ontario vendors (in which I mainly hit the yummy food stalls—mmm, real Canadian summer sausage ♥), and last, but certainly not least, the world-renowned Royal Horse Show (starkat, you'd love this!).

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : September 23, 2010 7:27 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Oh, what animals are you showing? :D

I, personally, didn't show anything. But my sisters got to show off their llamas. There were some fun classes, like costume, and the llama limbo. =))

Adeona, if you're showing in the Open class, the goat show may not be a morning one. It's hard to say. You'll want to find a copy of your fair's premium book and check the show and class schedules. :)

Congratulations, Fantasia! I assume that's with tomatoes you grew in your garden?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : September 23, 2010 11:02 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Mmmm, salsa! Congrats, fantasia!

There are traditional gatherings here that we call renezvouse. People dress in the style of the 1800's.

Thanks for the reminder! The town I grew up in hosts one of these, called The Big Island Rendezvous after a nearby state park that hosted it until it grew too large. Coming the first weekend in October, the weather is often pleasant and crisp, with fall colors in the trees and the nearby lake crystal clear and blue. As Puddleglum mentioned, it's something like an 1800s fair, with period food, costumes, demonstrations, and contests (like musket loading and shooting). The 'voyager encampment' has lots of period tents/teepees and open-wood fires.

Also running these weekends is the much-larger Minnesota Renaissance Festival, with lots of food and entertainment. Its attendance is large enough that on weekends with nice weather there can be bumper-to-bumper traffic jams on the highways leading to it. People want one last taste of summer/fall before winter arrives, I guess. ;))

I've had some fun times there but it's been about 15 years since I went there.

Maybe your fairs have less industrial exhibits and more farming and animal displays.

I think that's generally correct; when I first began attending the Minnesota State Fair some 35 years ago, there was a lot of agricultural equipment on display (that part of the fairgrounds still has the name "Machinery Hill"). There really weren't any industrial displays. In recent years, the mix of items shown has changed, and now includes home-improvement displays, new cars and trucks, motorized lawn mowers, backyard play centers for kids, etc, along with the farm equipment. Again, any industrial displays (like factory or other equipment) are very limited if present at all.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : September 23, 2010 11:52 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I assume that's with tomatoes you grew in your garden?

Oooh, really late reply here.....

The tomatoes are a combination of mine and my moms. The onions and garlic are mine. The long skinny dark green peppers are mine. The greenish/yellow bell peppers (Flavorburst) are mine. The sweet banana peppers are mine. The two small jalapeno peppers are mine. The single cayenne is mine. The habaneros came from a local Amish farmer. The Hatch Green Chlis (long lighter green) and the cilantro came from a store.

Posted : October 13, 2010 3:11 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I went to the Topsfield Fair last week with some friends of mine and it was awesome! there were SO many horse shows and it was really great!
here's a picture of me with one of my friends:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 0694_n.jpg
lol I am the one in the sun :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : October 13, 2010 9:06 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: