Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special Feature: Deas Vail

Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Deas Vail is an awesome Christian indie rock band. They are signed to Mono vs. Stereo. Their band name is a combination of Latin and Old French which roughly translates to "Humble servant of God". Well known for the poetic lyrics and haunting melodies, Deas Vail has released 3 CDs

This Place is Painted Red
All the Houses Look the Same
Birds and Cages

and two EPs

Collapse
White Lights

and they've recently released two singles that didn't make it on to their last album- Under Our Skin and All Eyes Are On You Now.

members:
Wes Blaylock
Laura Blaylock
Kelsey Harelson
Andrew Moore
Justin Froning

discuss!

Topic starter Posted : August 27, 2010 10:14 am
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Well, I love Deas Vail. They have quickly earned my admiration after putting out albums that get increasingly good every time. I first discovered the band with their song "Shoreline" which is so beautiful. White Lights EP was excellent, and then the band released Birds & Cages which was beyond amazing. I love the complexity of their instrumentals, their talent for developing striking melodies, and their commitment to honest and complex lyrics.

Deas Vail is also my favorite band to see live. I've been privileged enough to see them twice. Once was before B&C and the second was after. Both times I was blown away. Vocalist Wes Blaylock has quite a range and his falsetto is just as incredible live as on the recording. Their music live is closest to how they sound recorded out of any band I've heard. A Deas Vail live show is really unlike any I've seen. They are humble, get straight down to business, and totally win the crowd over.

I have really enjoyed the two new singles, particularly, "All Eyes Are On You Know." It's weird to think how the two songs might have fit into B&C, but they are both excellent songs.

Posted : August 27, 2010 12:43 pm
MissAravis
(@missaravis)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Deas Vail is amazing. I want to hear them live so, so badly, after hearing what Kate and a few other people have said about their live shows! And especially because of Wes! He is without a doubt my favorite singer. His voice is just too impressive for words.

As Ali and Kate already mentioned, their melodies are fantastic. Unlike most melodies that tend to revolve around the tonic, they incorporate more dissonant intervals to create that "haunting" sound. And I quite enjoy Kelsey's drumming -- he doesn't drum following typical patterns and uses lots of syncopation, accenting off-beats. Their instrumentation is really beautiful too. There's a lot of variety in it; they can pull off a slightly rockier/more upbeat sound at times but also have such lush string arrangements and Laura's keyboarding is awesome.

The first song I ever heard by them was Cages when Kate mentioned the free download on MvS's website last year. I was very impressed and particularly liked the change of meter into 5 near the end of the song. That's another thing I love about them. They do break out of 4/4 much more often than most bands. As for other favorite songs, I really like Anything You Say, Follow Sound, Shoreline, White Lights, Atlantis, and Birds.

Posted : August 27, 2010 4:05 pm
Lark
 Lark
(@lark)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I quite enjoy Kelsey's drumming -- he doesn't drum following typical patterns and uses lots of syncopation, accenting off-beats. Their instrumentation is really beautiful too. There's a lot of variety in it; they can pull off a slightly rockier/more upbeat sound at times but also have such lush string arrangements and Laura's keyboarding is awesome.

Oh,my goodness, yes. I love Kelsey's drumming.

And the instruments...each is beautiful by itself,but together,they're so...perfect,I guess. :)

I like hearing Laura sing harmonies with Wes so much. Their voices blend so well.

The first song of theirs that I ever heard was "Birds". I found out about the band via the favorite music thread.(big surprise. :P)

I own Birds and Cages, the White Lights EP and and just bought the two singles on iTunes.
The new singles are really good! I'm so glad that they released them to iTunes.

One of my favorite songs of theirs(and of all time,really) is one that,regrettably,I don't own: "Anything You Say". So beautiful. The first verse is incerdible.

They came to Richmond is June,but I had to teach VBS the night they came,and Richmond is kinda far from me. So I have yet to see them in concert too.

Posted : August 27, 2010 4:22 pm
The Pendragon
(@the-pendragon)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I love Deas Vail! I totally agree with what you guys said about the harmonies & Wes's voice! He's so amazing! The first song I heard was Excuses when I saw their music video, & I loved it so much I got their whole CD Birds & Cages! One of my favorite songs of theirs is Atlantis. It's absolutely gorgeous! The harmony for the chorus is beautiful, & the lyrics are so poetic!

I don't have their other albums, so I'm looking forward to getting those. And I haven't seen them in concert yet, but I really want to!

That's another thing I love about them. They do break out of 4/4 much more often than most bands.

I know! That's one thing that really drew me to them! they're not afraid to go for something different or drastic. Especially with the beats & vocal ranges.

Posted : August 29, 2010 7:28 am
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Today I visited a youtube link given to me by Kat to listen to some of the songs from their unattainable first LP This Place Is Painted Red. In general, I'd say it's a good thing that they don't sell that one. ;)) Most of the songs were...not very good. A few of them show signs of turning into the Deas Vail we know today, but if you're interested in hearing the band try to do pop/punk or Wes on autotune, it's definitely worth a listen. =))

Posted : September 6, 2010 5:21 pm
pogginfan
(@pogginfan)
NarniaWeb Nut

After listening to Excuses, I bought Birds and Cages yesterday, and I don't think I've every spent 8 bucks so well. I love, love, love it! :D I'm completely infatuated with it, I think. Like everyone else has said, their melodies are absolutely amazing. I could go on about Wes's voice, the drumming, and everything else but then I'd just be repeating everything that's already been said. ;))
My favorite songs on B&C are The Things You Were (pretty much because I love the ending so much), Cages, Birds, Dance in Perfect Time, and Atlantis. I love them all, but after listening to the album twice, those are the five that stand out to me right now.
I'm looking forward to buying some more of their music. Any suggestions as to which one I should buy next? :)

Avy by ValiantArcher, sig by hyaline12. Thank you!

Posted : September 8, 2010 2:02 pm
MissAravis
(@missaravis)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I really enjoyed listening to some of the songs from there, Kate, I'm not gonna lie. ;)) I thought "Higher In Your Ways" was pretty entertaining especially in the chorus.
Still, DV at their worst is a lot better than many bands. :P

I'm glad you bought B&C and love it so much, Pogginfan! Well, if you want to get their other full-length, All The Houses Look The Same, it's excellent too. Or if you don't feel like spending quite as much money you should get their White Lights EP. Both are very good. And if you feel like spending even less money, :P then get the two songs they just released to iTunes a few days ago (Under Our Skin is the "album" title on iTunes, the 2 songs are in that set). You honestly can't go wrong with any of those though!

Posted : September 8, 2010 6:52 pm
Aslans Country
(@aslans-country)
NarniaWeb Nut

I saw this SF a couple of days ago and decided to finally give Deas Vail a real listen. :p I've had Cages on my iPod for forever, but never really got into it.. but now I've listened to Birds and Cages a couple of times through I really really like them. :D I've even gotten over his high voice. ;) "Puzzles and Pieces" is my favourite, I wouldn't have kept listening if I hadn't heard that song.

I'm going to buy this CD as soon as I can.. which is not very soon. ;))

Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North

Posted : September 10, 2010 12:20 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing on Friday, September 17, after which you may continue discussing Deas Vail in the Favorite Music thread. :)

And remember, if you have an idea for a Special Feature, please PM one of the Spare Oom mods.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : September 14, 2010 1:40 am
Queen Susan
(@queen-susan)
NarniaWeb Guru

Just started really listening to Deas Vail -- two days ago? :) I maybe listened to one song a few months ago when talk came up in the Music thread about them, but I'm not sure what song it was, and it didn't really catch my attention. Now I've listened to all of their last two albums, and I'm really liking them more!
Does Matt Thiessan sing in any of their songs? Because in one of them, can't remember the title, sounded like he was singing with.

Posted : September 14, 2010 3:11 pm
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Does Matt Thiessan sing in any of their songs? Because in one of them, can't remember the title, sounded like he was singing with.

Glad you're enjoying them. Yes, Matt Thiessen sings on the song "Birds" during the bridge. Thiessen started the record label Mono vs. Stereo and signed Deas Vail.

Posted : September 14, 2010 8:26 pm
Share: