Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ideas For Opening Credits For Each Narnia Movie

Page 2 / 2
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Narration is interesting, though I'm not sure if it would work for a series or film.

For SC, it could start in Narnia with the backstory of Rilian's disappearances. Then they cut to Eustace and Jill at school.

I guess for LB, it could start in Narnia as well. Though opening credits might be kind of tricky. Maybe Tirian and Jewel at Cair Paravel.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 13, 2024 7:40 am
Ilovenarnia82
(@ilovenarnia82)
NarniaWeb Regular

@narnian78 from what I see on the video the music score reminds me a bit of the Sarah Collins theme from dark shadows, the instrumentation anyways,  which had narration in the begining of every episode. Lol 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2024 8:10 am
Narnian78 liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

So here are some random ideas for the opening credits for each Narnia movie-

MN- a shot of Victorian London. The camera pans across Victorian London as the opening credits are going.

LWW- As @narnian78 pointed out, it could open with rural England and woods at the Professor's house. We could see a glimpse of the train, and the Pevensies looking out.

HHB- Perhaps with baby Shasta and a soldier in a boat on the water.

PC- Maybe with Caspian's backstory, with the nurse telling Caspian the story of the old days.

VDT- Caspian and his crew setting sail. We could see a shot of the Dawn Treader on the water as the opening credits are going.

SC- Maybe with Rilian's backstory then cut to Eustace and Jill at school.

LB- Maybe with Tirian as a boy, learning about Narnia's past from a tutor. The opening credits could possibly go where he and Jewel are at Cair Paravel.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 13, 2024 5:21 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Interesting ideas here, but one thing that stands out about most of the actual books is that — except for HHB and LB — they all begin firmly in this world, with the child characters through whose eyes we see most of the story. That includes PC, VDT and SC. We don't get any hints or spoilers for what is happening in Narnia, or what has happened previously as the lead-up to this story, before we're actually in Narnia. I reckon that was a deliberate stylistic choice by Lewis, to draw us as readers into the story along with its main this-worldly characters, so we experience Narnia along with them and learn the background to the adventure as they do, without any spoilers beforehand.

Of course, that leads to lengthy flashbacks in both PC and SC (and a shorter one in VDT where they hear about why Caspian and his crew set out and where they've been so far, but that's not as relevant to the upcoming story), which may not work as well in the context of a film as they do in a written narrative. It's going to come down to the choices of the individual director and script writers and so on, as to what makes for the best structure for a film. But it does stand out to me that in nearly every case, Lewis focuses first and foremost on the characters from our world and their journey, not on "the story so far" in Narnia itself.

The first exception to this is HHB, which of course is the only one of the Chronicles that doesn't involve characters travelling from this world into another — but even then, the action starts with Shasta and mainly follows him as his quest of discovery goes on. I can imagine that film starting with a sequence of the boat floating in to shore at night, a shadowy figure (Arsheesh) coming down and finding the dead man in the boat and then hearing the baby cry, and he picks up the baby, awkwardly trying to shush him (Arsheesh is not a very fatherly figure, we find out early on!) — and then maybe, as the camera zooms out for a wider shot of the seashore, we see the silhouette of a lion watching and then disappearing into the woods. Then cut to pretty much where the book begins, with Shasta as a boy constantly at work for his rather harsh and indifferent "father" who won't answer any of his questions as to what lies beyond the horizon, etc. I can see that working well, as it creates an air of mystery without giving away too much of the story. (We learn within the first chapter that Shasta is a foundling, so it's no spoiler to show something of how it happened. Perhaps putting Aslan in there gives too much away, though, because anyone who's familiar with Narnia will quickly guess that this isn't an ordinary dumb lion.)

And the other exception is LB. I can't really imagine that story starting with anything other than where it does — Shift and Puzzle finding the lion skin in Caldron Pool and Shift having his brilliant idea for what to do with it. That really sets us up for the whole story. Here are two Talking Beasts, one of whom has extremely nasty and selfish tendencies — and is constantly manipulating his poor, simple-minded, good-hearted donkey friend to do whatever he (the Ape) wants — and now he's just hit on a plan to fool all the Narnians with a fake Aslan. I remember that chilling me to the guts when I first read this book, because it's so sinister and so unlike how the vast majority of Narnians we've seen before — especially the Talking Beasts — normally think and act. And it's crucial to what happens in the rest of the story, and to our understanding of it, that we know this "Aslan" is an imposter from the start, but Tirian at first doesn't. That book really builds up the tension bit by horrible bit, and to me it's crucial that it starts with Shift's deception and what grows from it. Otherwise, really, where are you going to put him and Puzzle into the narrative, if it starts with the focus on Tirian (who is the main character for virtually the remainder of the story)? Shift and Puzzle and the lion skin, as far as I can see, work perfectly as the disquieting prelude before the main story starts.

However the opening credits end up being done, I do think it's vital that the director is someone who is deeply familiar with each book and how the plot of each one is structured — and then, if any changes do need to be made for good cinematic story-telling, hopefully they'll be ones that still make sense story-wise and aren't just done to make it look more exciting on screen.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2024 8:07 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

Well, MN couldn't start in Narnia anyways, given that it's a newly created world, and that doesn't happen until midpoint of the book.

If LWW starts with rural England, it would be a unique way to start. In the previous adaptations, it started with the Pevensies on the train.

Flashbacks are kind of tricky to do on film. If they have to do any, I guess they would have to do it for the battle of Charn in MN (or even just have Jadis telling of it, and we hear the noise of it in the background). Even in LB, as Tirian is tied up to a tree, there could be a flashback of how he was a boy, a tutor taught him about what had happened in Narnia's past.

I've always got the impression that the first chapter of LB was more like a prologue. I could see where it would be hard to place an opening credits in. I guess the camera could pan across the River Narnia and the Great Waterfall as the opening credits are going. I've thought the same for Victorian London at the start of MN.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 14, 2024 11:17 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: