Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special Feature: Period Drama Films

Page 3 / 5
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I have been really busy of late, so though I have been watching this thread with interest, I haven't really been able to comment until now. This is quite sad, as being a lover of classic literature as well as a bit of a cinephile, period drama films definitely serve as one of my guilty pleasures! B-)

I was wondering where you were :p

Miss Austen Regrets - A wonderful Jane Austen biopic, and my favorite Austen-related film of this decade. Olivia Williams is absolutely wonderful as Jane, as are Phyllida Law, Greta Scaachi, and Imogen Poots as her mother, sister, and niece respectively. This one gave me goosebumps. Highly recommended

Aaah I lvoe this movie, like I said in the Past Movies thread :)

, moving, truth-filled movie. It's the story that really draws me to this one, a fascinating true tale, but just look at that cast: Ioan Gruffud, Rufus Sewell, Ciaran Hinds, Romola Garai, Michael Gambon, Albert Finney - and all of them great, too.

I love this movie as well, though the first time I saw it, I thought it was confusing and rushed, how they change from present to past and such. But I rewatched it a few months ago and I absolutely adore it now :)

Sense and Sensibility (1995) - This is the movie that got me into Jane Austen books and movies in the first place (yes, I watched it before I read the book! :-o ), the latter of course being a staple of the period drama genre. I still love it. Emma Thompson proves her worth both as an actress and a screenwriter, Ang Lee frames his subjects gorgeously, Patrick Doyle provides one of his most bewitching scores, and Kate Winslet just is Marianne Dashwood.

This is a great movie even though I do like the 2008 BBC version better...I love the part when

Spoiler
Edward is telling Elinor how he's not married to Lucy and his brother is. I started crying when she did :p though not as much as I did when reading the book (I was bawling the whole ending ;) )

(yes, I watched it before I read the book! :-o ),

tsk tsk [-( ;)

Btw, it's not that I find the Beckinsale version humorless but it could have had more funny parts than it did. I just got the Paltrow version of Emma out of the library again. I think I'll rewatch it and maybe the Beckinsale one too. I don't need to rewatch the new BBC Emma though, I have the whole thing on my iPod and I've seen it at least 3 times :p ...this past month :D

Topic starter Posted : February 8, 2010 5:55 am
ForeverFan
(@foreverfan)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well! I finished watching Emma last night- and that's why I haven't replied to several things in this thread until now, as I wanted to make sure that I was being fair, and therefore waited until I had seen it all.

My thoughts? The last episode wasn't too bad- while there was a couple things that were obviously inaccurate for the time period they weren't annoying per se- after all, how can one scene be annoying? To me "annoying", most of the time, means something that is not pleasant yet is still recurring. Now, this does not mean that I approve of or liked the more modern additions- the head in the lap, of course, included. I did appreciate how, after

However, this does not lessen very much my actual dislike that they included such a thing to show how Frank and Emma's relationship crossed the line in that area. The other Emma adaptations, including the old mini-series from the 1970s, had no trouble whatsoever showing that Frank and Emma were being a little carried away, or whatever it truly was- without having to include such modern actions and behaviours, and I am therefore convinced that the script writers for this adaptation could have most easily found other, more time period accurate ways of showing this, such as what these other adaptations did. And as to which was worse- the head in the lap or the waltzing, I would say both were quite socially unacceptable in that time period and both were unneeded additions.

I think though, one (I especially) must look at the series on the whole while deciding what one thinks about it. Each adaptation will have its good points and its bad points- and the question for myself mainly is this: did the potential good points, the strengths of cast, storyline, scenery, music, and overall production value outweigh that of the bad- the weakness of the cast, storyline, etc? The beauty of subjectivity is that what I may say I did not like, you may like quite well, and there's really nothing lost in the matter as it is not a matter of truth vs. lies, etc. (Or some other moral matter) While for the most part I did enjoy this version of Emma, it is not my favourite adaptation, nor is Garai my favourite Emma. As I have said before, I did not like the approach the filmmakers took when making this film, which of course, colours much of the rest of the production. There was too much that was too modern in it for me to be able to say that I like it and that it was the best of all the Emma adaptations. In fact, the only thing I can say I really liked about it pretty much at all were the Knightley brothers. Mr. John Knightley's sarcasm was funny. :D

yay! Someone who likes it besides me! All my friends always say it's lame and the 1995 version is the best, but I reallly enjoy the 2005 version...

Me too- at least, I have for the past several years, and I'm sure to some extent I would still enjoy it, even if it's not the most accurate of all adaptations and etc. It was one of the first Austen movies that I saw (along with the '95 S&S and the Paltrow version of Emma), even before I read the books, which also helped me want to read the books. Plus I like some of the casting choices. ;) )

(In reference to Jane Eyre adaptations) Why?

I've heard things about the '06 version of Jane Eyre that make me hesitant to see it, even if those parts can be easily skipped. Since wisewoman highly recommends some of the other adaptations of the story, and since I'm not a fan -yet- of the story, I think I'd like to see one that I know I can trust will be at least worth watching it. I don't mind if it's older and the filming styles are less "polished" and the acting/etc is a little stagey, that doesn't bother me at all. So that's why, I guess. :) :)

...anyway Welch seems determined on making an out-and-out tyrant out of him. Gah. The Jane was fine, but I preferred Olivia Williams in the Beckinsale version.

Hurray! :D I'm glad you were able to have time for a post on this matter- I'll admit that I was most interested in hearing your thoughts on the new adaptation.

I think I agree about Mr. Woodhouse- I'm not sure I like how (at least, the perceived) direction the script included about how it made Emma seem like she was trapped by her father and couldn't leave, etc. I realize that her father, in the novel, was concerned for people's safety, but in this new script it seemed to make him look too possessive. There was a few more touching moments, I thought, between Emma and her father, which I liked, but I definitely think that the other Mr. Woodhouses were probably more accurate to the book's Mr. Woodhouse.

Olivia Williams played a great Jane Fairfax, I agree! While I didn't have any real problems with this new Jane (she was just...Jane..) I liked Williams' take much better.

While I'd like to fault the writing for this fault, I'm afraid the blame belongs entirely to Garai and the director. I love Romola - she's one of my favorite actresses - but sort of like Bette Davis, she can be very overexpressive and theatrical when there's not a strong director to reign her in. This is especially the case with the more comic scenes. Otherwise, I think you're right on the dot. Her expressions and gestures are often totally unconvincing as a young gentlewoman of the late 18th/early 19th century. A pity, because I've been hoping Romola would play this role for years.

You are probably quite right in this matter- I've only seen Garai in three films (Amazing Grace, Nicholas Nickleby and now Emma) and really haven't observed her in a variety of different roles, so looking back I didn't want to lay any unjust and unfair criticism at her door. There was, as you said, times when she really did do a good job, but on the whole there was too much of what we've already talked about which, I believe, overshadowed those good moments. I did love when she was ranting about Mrs. Elton. Historically accurate or no, that was nice. ;)

Oh, and I quite agree with what you said about the 1995 Persuasion. When one thinks about all the period film adaptations that are out there- even the non-Austen ones, and how there's usually at least something that isn't quite right or how we pictured it, Persuasion is definitely a rare jewel. There is almost nothing that felt wrong to me, and if there is anything, perhaps it was the casting of Anne's older sister Elizabeth, but I think that's the only thing. I love how authentic it feels as well- how those in the navy really did look and come across as if they were really sailors, especially. That was one thing that I found was wrong in the newest adaptation of Persuasion- those from the navy didn't look the part... it bugged me. ;))

Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Posted : February 8, 2010 7:11 am
Lady Aethelwyne
(@lady-aethelwyne)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Ooo, I like these. I'm guessing that we're also allowed to talk about Period Dramas that weren't based off of literature as well?

I've seen quite a lot of period dramas, but some of my favorites are: both of the more recent versions of Pride and Prejudice (2005 and 1995), the Paltrow version of Emma, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, Cranford, Amazing Grace, Bleak House, The Crucible, My Fair Lady, and we'll add The Pirates of the Caribbean for good measure.

This is a great list of movies! I haven't seen the '95 version of Pride and Prejudice yet, but have in on VHS from a yard sale and hope to watch it soon. Cranford and Bleak House I haven't heard of, but you have excellent tastes and I will check into them! :D
I also like:
Ever After. The costumes are so gorgeous! Making Leonardo DaVinci the fairy godmother (er, father) was genius.
Kingdom of Heaven I love the message that the Kingdom of Heaven is inside your heart. Especially because I'll probably never be able to afford a pilgramage to the Holy Land
Restoration A little raunchy in the beginning, still a great message about a wild, broken man finding himself and his true calling
The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, and The Man in the Iron Mask
Elizabeth Modern historical dramas can be so historically inaccurate, yet they have such great drama, costumes, and scenery that I fall for them
Braveheart (what can I say, I'm part Scottish), and The Patriot, although they are a little bloody for me
Lord of The Rings yes, I know they are fantasy movies, but since Tolkien borrowed ideas from Norse and medieval legends to make a new British mythology, I thought perhaps it could be included? ;)
I guess you can see that I like swashbuckler movies, Renaissance era, and Jane Austen; as well as fantasy and Anne of Green Gables. A weird mix, perhaps, but I was a history major in college. :p

Wrong shall be right, when Aslan comes in sight.At the sound of his roar sorrows shall be no more.When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, and when he shakes his mane, spring shall come again.

Posted : February 8, 2010 7:26 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I love Ever After too :) ! The costumes are gorgeous but I'm absolutely in love with the score :D

ForeverFan: (about Jane Eyre) aah I see. Just wondering :)
(about P&P) It was the first Austen I saw so that could factor in to my liking it so much :p . I like some casting choices as well (for example I think Jane and Elizabeth were spot on...actually all the sisters were, and so were they're parents. I really liked Matthew MacFadyen as Mr. Darcy as well, I can't say I like the idea of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy :p ...but I didn't especially love Mr. Wickham...) :)

Topic starter Posted : February 8, 2010 9:36 am
ForeverFan
(@foreverfan)
NarniaWeb Guru

glenstorm: I agree with you very much on the casting choices- particularly that of the younger Bennet sisters and Mrs. Bennet. One thing I didn't like about the 1995 P&P is that the younger girls look so old, and therefore I found it hard to believe that they were still younger girls, our age, actually! Somehow that, while maybe not ruining the characters, didn't work for me.... With the new P&P, even if the actresses playing each respective part were a little bit older (I can understand about Lydia especially, I'm not sure if I'd want a 15 or 16 year old playing that role, just because) they still looked young enough, and of course, I thought they were pretty good actors too. ;) I liked how they portrayed Mrs. Bennet as well- I found her really believable, like what she did and the way she was was really because she cared for her daughters. And since marriage was one of the only things girls back then could look forwards too, even if the Mrs. Bennet is a little bit different than that of Mrs. Bennet in the book (but I can't say for sure, admittedly, it's been a while since I read the book ) it's still a plausible character and something that most likely would have happened back then. :)

And of course there are other things as well, which you already mentioned, that I like about it. :) :D

I must admit that at first (several years ago) I wasn't a fan of Ever After, (much like I wasn't a fan of the the '95 S&S, Paltrow's Emma, and even the '05 P&P right off the bat, simply because a) I was really too young to properly enjoy the stories, and b) because I was young, I thought them boring. And now I love those movies quite a bit, which leads to some amusing embarrassment when my sister and I talk about it and our first reactions to those movies... ah well. Hurray for second chances and growing up!) but now I like it pretty well. :) The costumes are lovely, and I really like how they did the "magic" and "fairy" bits of the Cinderella story, but made it into a story that really could have happened thanks to Leonardo da Vinci. Although, about Ever After, I must admit that at the beginning when the

(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Posted : February 9, 2010 2:59 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

FF, I had the same thought the last time I saw Ever After.

Spoiler
I think it's the fireworks. ;))

*gives lys a high five for including the Errol Flynn Robin Hood* I debated including Captain Blood as well....

Avoid the most recent adaptation; it's just silly.

Really? I know y'all love the '95 Persuasion, but watching the trailer with my sister, the '95 version came across as...eh. Fluffy, maybe. There was a lot of soft focus and not much about the plot, whereas the Masterpiece version advertised itself by including a whole scene and seemed much more serious about being an adaption of the book.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : February 9, 2010 8:39 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

lol FF and Mel (about Ever After...;))

is the 95 ]Persuasion the one with Ciaran Hinds?

Topic starter Posted : February 9, 2010 10:11 am
lysander
(@lysander)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Don't let William Shatner get to you. Once you get past the original reaction of it's-Captain-Kirk-with-a-weird-haircut you'll love him.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong for once, but he has yet to. It has nothing to do with the Captain Kirk image; it's the fact that the man simply cannot say a single line without coming across as completely ridiculous. It worked in Star Trek because the lines were ridiculous to begin with. :p But keep him out of period drama or anything I'm supposed to take remotely seriously, please, please, please!

I love the bit of S&S you mentioned in your spoiler, Glenstorm. Some people don't like it and say it's out of character for Elinor to react that way, but I think that's rather the point, don't you.

Spoiler
All of that emotion she had pent up inside - finally it's safe to let it out.
:)

FF, in response to your own spoiler -

You are probably quite right in this matter- I've only seen Garai in three films (Amazing Grace, Nicholas Nickleby and now Emma) and really haven't observed her in a variety of different roles, so looking back I didn't want to lay any unjust and unfair criticism at her door.

Well, I wasn't trying to vindicate Garai - if you notice, I was rather saying that you couldn't blame her facial expressions on the writing. :) But yeah, she should have been better. If you watch Daniel Deronda and Amazing Grace (and I suppose Atonement, although that's from a much later era) you can see that she knows how to walk and act and interact in a period setting. So those ideas about Emma being a "modern woman" and all that rubbish must have been pumped into her head so much by the writer and director that she completely lost her senses. x_x Then again, she does have a tendency to overdo roles that aren't completely dramatic - the only time I've seen her consistently handling comedy well was in the more lighthearted parts of Amazing Grace. It's probably significant that I didn't like her much in As You Like It, her most comedic outing so far.

But yeah, the rant after Mrs. Elton's visit was definitely one of her best scenes. ;))

I love how authentic it feels as well- how those in the navy really did look and come across as if they were really sailors, especially. That was one thing that I found was wrong in the newest adaptation of Persuasion- those from the navy didn't look the part... it bugged me.

Completely agreed, but did you know that when they were on leave in this era sailors would not have been wearing uniforms? :-o So Ciaran Hinds shouldn't really have been walking around in all that navy blue. I found this out recently and it made me quite sad. Point one for the new version, unfortunately.

I must agree with Glenstorm about one aspect of the most recent Pride and Prejudice: Rosamund Pike made for a fantastic Jane Bennett. But it does sort of surprise me, Fanny, that you don't find this too modern when you do find the new Emma to be so. :-

I debated including Captain Blood as well....

So did I, but I just think Robin Hood is better. Especially because Basil Rathbone doesn't attempt a French accent in it. ;)

As for the Persuasion adaptations, you should know very well not to judge a movie by its trailer. Why, that's almost as bad a judging a book by its cover! (Of course, you and I both do that, so I'm not sure why I'm even making this argument.... 8-} ) I do like the '95 theatrical trailer in its way, but I can see why you wouldn't and I would say that it's not an accurate reflection of the movie's tone. The film as a whole is soft, quiet, stylish - not quite the sort of things that typically draw film audiences. So the trailer was redone to make it look more urgent, dramatic, passionate. There is an alternate trailer, made for when the movie appeared on PBS: you might like it better (link). :D

~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~

Posted : February 9, 2010 11:04 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Does The Count of Monte Cristo count? (Pun intended :D ) If it does, it's my favorite. I haven't read the book yet, but I'll get to it eventually, it's very long.

Posted : February 9, 2010 11:17 am
ForeverFan
(@foreverfan)
NarniaWeb Guru

*agrees with Mel on her Ever After spoiler* And just how the whole scene was filmed too. *nods*

Lys:

Well, I wasn't trying to vindicate Garai - if you notice, I was rather saying that you couldn't blame her facial expressions on the writing. :)

Oh yes, of course! :) I simply meant that if it wasn't truly or completely her problem, or rather, her own idea to portray the character in such a way, I didn't want to blame her for that, especially since I don't really "know" her as an actress. (Meaning seen enough of her to be able to tell her particular acting style & etc).

but did you know that when they were on leave in this era sailors would not have been wearing uniforms? :-o

That I did not know! Wow... I wonder how they could have overlooked something like that? Perhaps just not knowing...

But it does sort of surprise me, Fanny, that you don't find this too modern when you do find the new Emma to be so. :-

It is rather surprising indeed- and I think all I can say is this: Lately I've been noticing in myself that I value historical accuracy much much more than before in period films, I think it's been a slow change that I've finally begun to realize and am quite happy about on the whole, and the last time I watched that particular version of P&P was sometime before this change. I honestly think that if I watched the film again, which I'd like to do so soon, I would not only notice the more modern elements of it but also not entirely be able to overlook them. It would probably still be my favourite adaptation in some aspects, but in others it wouldn't be so much anymore. :) Or something like that. ;)) I think I'll look differently at almost all of the period dramas I watch from now on. :)

(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Posted : February 9, 2010 11:24 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Maybe he'll prove me wrong for once, but he has yet to. It has nothing to do with the Captain Kirk image; it's the fact that the man simply cannot say a single line without coming across as completely ridiculous. It worked in Star Trek because the lines were ridiculous to begin with. :p But keep him out of period drama or anything I'm supposed to take remotely seriously, please, please, please!

;)) Oh, okay. I was hesitant of him at first as well, but he was an excellent. And even if you don't like him, Greer Garson is stupendous; the Amy/Laurie romance is well developed; there's more Meg/ John Brooke; and Dorothy MacGuire is a superb Marmee. So you'll be sure to find something you like even if you don't like William Shatner.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : February 9, 2010 12:58 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I can't say I like the idea of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy :p

You're not alone there; I prefer David Rintoul's Darcy. I have yet to see the '05 version, but all the promo pictures of a soaking Darcy fail to entice me.

Why, that's almost as bad a judging a book by its cover! (Of course, you and I both do that, so I'm not sure why I'm even making this argument.... 8-} )

=)) Hey, if we're judging things by covers, I liked the DVD cover I saw for it recently. Hence the total shock when I saw the trailer. ;)) The one you link to is much more sensible.

Posted : February 9, 2010 3:00 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Which one is David Rintoul in? I know I saw the "Colin Firth Strip Scene" on youtube 8-| . Does not impress me in the least. I find Matthew MacFadyen a fantastic Darcy :)

Topic starter Posted : February 9, 2010 3:03 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Rintoul is in the 1980's BBC mini-series. I think I would have liked the '95 version a lot better without the 'strip scene' ;)), but on the whole I didn't see much to recommend it over the other mini-series.

I hear such mixed reviews of the MacFayden version, ranging from fantastic to awful. *sigh*

Posted : February 9, 2010 3:20 pm
lysander
(@lysander)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I counted The Count, TheGeneral, so I think you could too. :) (By the way, don't expect the book to be anything like the movie.)

... and Dorothy MacGuire is a superb Marmee. So you'll be sure to find something you like even if you don't like William Shatner.

I'd forgotten that MacGuire played Marmee. I do plan to see it, if only for she and Garson (and the costumes and music), but I'll have to read the book first. :p

On the Pride & Prejudice adaptations: I really didn't like any of the first three when I watched them years ago, right after finishing the book, finding the two miniseries ('80 and '95) dull and stagy, and the 40s film ridiculously Hollywoodized. I loved the new movie when it came out, but when I saw it on the TV recently, I had to turn it off: I just couldn't deal with all the random modern touches and the innuendos. At least the new Emma didn't have close-ups of pig genitalia! I'll have to go over them again after my reread. I assume I'll end up choosing one of the miniseries as my favorite - probably '95, but then again, I recall liking Elizabeth Garvie's Elizabeth best.

~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~

Posted : February 9, 2010 4:58 pm
Page 3 / 5
Share: