Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special Feature: Period Drama Films

Page 4 / 5
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

has anyone ever seen "Amazing Grace"? it's directed by Michael Apted! it's about William Wilberforce and how he abolished slavery in England! I love it!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : February 10, 2010 5:59 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Period Drama films are the best, especially when correctly adapted. :)

My favourite...well, it's sort of hard to pick a favourite because the ones I've watched have strayed some from the classic book. Right now, I'll put down My Fair Lady. (Except, it's always bothered me that

Spoiler
Eliza came back to Henry Higgins, when in the book/play/original form, I believe it was not so?
)

The ones that come to my mind that I've seen are Little Women (most recent with Winona Ryder), The Secret Garden (Warner Bros. 1993), and The Little Princess (Shirley Temple version) ... I wasn't really satisfied with the adaptation.
1. Little Women - I really loved the casting of the four sisters in this one (although, perhaps Beth was my least favourite casting. I'm sort of picky with who she's cast as because she's my favourite character. ;)) ). But, otherwise, they all played their parts really well. Mrs. March and Hannah were also favourite castings. However, Christian Bale was not. :P Well, I guess, he made an acceptable Laurie but that silent, whispery, raspy way of speech he had annoyed me. (And for the character of Laurie, I just think he was a little flirty, especially with Meg, in some scenes.) And whoever played Mr. Brooke....er. *coughs* Not quite so fitting. ;)) Some parts were added, some parts were taken out. So, it was not really a favourite.

For, The Little Princess, it was a cute movie in itself despite how different it was from the book, but I think that the book is the sweetest, and most realistic. :)

And, The Secret Garden, the casting for the main characters was something I really liked. ^^ Except, it went really far from the book (especially

Spoiler
Making Colin and Mary kiss at age ten. Ew. x.x Frances Hodgson Burnett never, ever said who ended up with who--the book ended when they were still children!
) I wasn't quite pleased with this one, except for a few minor points and details here and there. *rambled and ranted further and longer about this movie in her blog...*

I still need to watch some other Period Drama like Pride and Prejudice and the Anne of Green Gables ones.

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : February 10, 2010 9:28 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

I know I saw the "Colin Firth Strip Scene" on youtube 8-| . Does not impress me in the least.

eek. Do not watch the "Mr. Darcy Gets Wet for No Apparent Reason Scene" all by itself. That's the worst scene in the entire movie.

but I'll have to read the book first. :p

:-o You haven't read the book? ;)

Right now, I'll put down My Fair Lady.

Yes,

And, The Secret Garden, the casting for the main characters was something I really liked. ^^ Except, it went really far from the book I wasn't quite pleased with this one, except for a few minor points and details here and there.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : February 10, 2010 10:18 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

daughter of the King,

And,
[spoiler=The Secret Garden]Mhm, exactly. Because of that fact and some other things, I've always liked to think and assumed that perhaps Dickon and Mary ended up together, but that's only my thoughts-- I have no right to alter or add to what Frances Hodgson Burnett wrote.
What was worse is that this movie showed they were cousins. The dialogue follows:
"I could marry you." -Colin
"But we're cousins." -Mary
"I don't care. I always want to be together." (or something like that)
And then Mary kissed Colin...and they were only ten. [-(
There was also this scene that they snuck out of being locked in their different rooms (also an added part, I believe...) and looked at pictures together, which evidently was put in to try give a sentimental air to it. I'm not exactly sure, though, because I was so put off by it that I forwarded so I wouldn't have to hear anything. :P (I saw it, though, for reviewing purposes)[/spoiler] [/rant]

Posted : February 11, 2010 8:36 am
pogginfan
(@pogginfan)
NarniaWeb Nut

*pops in for a brief post* Ooh, I do love period films! I believe all the ones I like have been mentioned already. Among my favorites are quite a few Jane Austen adaptions, Amazing Grace, The Secret Garden, Little Women, and...others I'm forgetting.

eek. Do not watch the "Mr. Darcy Gets Wet for No Apparent Reason Scene" all by itself. That's the worst scene in the entire movie.

Haha! You're the first person I have heard say that. ;)) It seems to be everyone's favorite scene...I'm pretty much indifferent to it. I never did see why everyone raves about it so much.

*pops back out*

Avy by ValiantArcher, sig by hyaline12. Thank you!

Posted : February 11, 2010 3:16 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I really enjoyed The Secret Garden! it was good and well cast and the story is really sweet!

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : February 12, 2010 7:36 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Haha! You're the first person I have heard say that. ;)) It seems to be everyone's favorite scene...I'm pretty much indifferent to it. I never did see why everyone raves about it so much.

I can't imagine why... ;) . Like I said before, I don't like it in the least. . But I'm still gonna watch the movie anyways :p

edit: does anyone like A Little Princess? My mom read the book several times to my siblings and I when we were younger and we've watched two movie adaptions- the Shirley Temple one and the Disney version. I loved them both :)

Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2010 7:49 am
pogginfan
(@pogginfan)
NarniaWeb Nut

@Glenstorm ;)), my friend has told me several times why it's her favorite scene, but I don't think it's a very good reason. ;) But don't let that scene ruin the movie for you. '95 isn't my favorite P&P adaption, but I do adore it very much. :)

I saw the '95 adaption of A Little Princess without knowing it was based on a book. I remember really liking it, but I haven't seen it in a while. And I still haven't read the book.

Avy by ValiantArcher, sig by hyaline12. Thank you!

Posted : February 13, 2010 8:51 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ The Little Princess was pretty good, though I'm not a fan of poetic justic

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : February 13, 2010 8:55 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Aslanisthebest:
I must have seen a different version than you, but they both have [spoiler=]Colin and Mary together. yuck. It was slightly better in the one I saw(I can't remember who did it) because they went out of their way to establish the fact that Mr. Craven was an old family friend instead of her uncle, but still, [-([/spoiler]

does anyone like A Little Princess? My mom read the book several times to my siblings and I when we were younger and we've watched two movie adaptions- the Shirley Temple one and the Disney version. I loved them both :)

I do! I like the Disney one better though. The Shirley Temple one was first and foremost a Shirley Temple movie, which isn't bad, but that's what it was. The Disney one was more based off of the Shirley Temple one rather than the book, but I liked it more. Have you seen the miniseries? It was a better adaptation, but Sara was too old.

ahsokasig

Posted : February 13, 2010 8:59 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ yeah, the Shirly Temple version was pretty bad.....

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : February 13, 2010 9:11 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^^I liked the Shirley Temple one alot. :|

dotK: I just liked the Disney version better. No I haven't seen the miniseries, I didn't know it existed :p

pogginfan: don't worry, I'm not one to let one little thing ruin a movie for me, though it does dampen my desire to see it :p

Topic starter Posted : February 13, 2010 6:00 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

yeah, the Shirly Temple version was pretty bad..

I don't think the Shirley Temple one was bad, I just thought the Disney one was better.

No I haven't seen the miniseries, I didn't know it existed :p

Very few people do. I think it was released on DVD only last year or the year before, but it aired on television in the '80s. It was very good about sticking to the books for the most part, but they did skip a few things, and Sara was much too old.

ahsokasig

Posted : February 14, 2010 9:12 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^^I'll have to look in to it...

Topic starter Posted : February 14, 2010 9:46 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I've heard, for A Little Princess, that all the versions have the same different ending than the book. That probably would make me enjoy any of them less. ;))

daughter of the King,

Posted : February 14, 2010 2:14 pm
Page 4 / 5
Share: