Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor! THG SF

Page 11 / 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Finished "The Hunger Games #2: Catching Fire". I found the story had enjoyable (er... that's not the right word), 'interesting' and thought-provoking moments like the original, especially in the last half but the rest was rather unfocused and dull. Suzanne Collins, if you have 250 pages of story, don't pad it out to twice as many pages. I hope the third and final book, "Mockingjay" is better.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : May 23, 2012 11:09 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

So... Robert Pattinson is a possibility for Finnick Odair. :P

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2012/ ... atching-f/

~Riella =:)

Posted : May 24, 2012 12:16 am
Lion's Emblem
(@lions-emblem)
NarniaWeb Guru

When the hype began for HG, I didn't know what it was, and I wasn't looking to jump on the band wagon just because of this. Howver, I became intrigued by the story when I saw a little blip on tv showing clips from the movie and became interested. Finished all three books a couple of weeks back (though not all at once in rapid fire :) ) and had the opportunity to see the movie a couple of days ago. Thoughts:

The first book is probably my favorite with the third being a close second. I found the second book to a bit dull and tedious (the second portion improved, but the first half felt like... a time filler). Favorite character? I don't have one really- there's not any particular person that I can really relate to, so they are all about even for me.

The movie was good, but not the most spectacular film I have ever seen. I wished there was more shot variety- I felt claustrophobic from the start with all the close-upsor extreme close-ups, I needed some breathing room. I wanted to see more

Spoiler
of the life in District 12. Yes, there's glimpses of it, but I wish there was more hardship shown. In comparison though, I really like the extreme side of the Capital and the score that goes with it sets up the "other worldiness" perfectly.

I was more impressed by some of the techniques used with the sound design (i.e.

Spoiler
when Katniss blows up the supplies and there's a ringing with all the sound being muffled or muted- for a second I thought I had gone deaf :) , which connects back to the scene in the book really well
. I wish some of the scenes from the book had been more in depth, but I did like the fact that we see
Spoiler
elements outside the games- Haymitch's meet and greet to get sponsers, the control roomn for the games (really sets up the idea of how the Capital controls everything), and the riot after Rue's death.

Big disappointment in

Spoiler
the muttations. This was such a creepy scene in the book, but in the film there's not much explanation, so it's like they're just being chased by mad dogs. A bit of ho-hum in comparison to the book.
The other thing I found disappointing was
Spoiler
when Katniss and Peeta are about to eat the poison berries at the end of the games. It was much too quick when the announcer comes over the PA and tells them to stop. Come on, they've barely lifted the fruit. With all the attention on close-ups, I wish they would've actually placed the berries on or at least near their lips before they were called off.

All in all, I would read the book again as well as watch the film.

Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan

Posted : May 24, 2012 2:13 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I bought the first book and read it before the movie came out - liked it very much, very thought-provoking. I don't want to own the other books in the series, though, as they are getting even darker than the first one - but I do want to read them.

All the copies of the local library are on loan, and I've joined a list to be told when one is available. (I tried borrowing a French copy and reading it in French, but my French isn't good enough ...)

But in a month or two I should be able to continue reading. I've read as many spoilers as possible - with such a dark book, I prefer to have some warning. And with such a theme, it's only right that the book should be dark, and that even the main characters don't come out of their experiences unscathed.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : May 25, 2012 2:13 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

The Hungry Games themes are dark and disturbing but they have nothing on Stephen King (and he's not the 'worst'. Even The Lord of the Rings is more intense.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : May 25, 2012 3:31 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

Possibly more intense. But they don't have the theme of children being required by the government to kill other children.

More intense, but less thought-provoking.

I have avoided Stephen King - even his books.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : May 25, 2012 12:12 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Stephen King writes many redemptive stories. The Stand is particularly good. He's often given a lot of bad press for content but unlike many other horror authors, he writes with purpose and a message. Fair enough if you still avoid him :P, and his works.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : May 25, 2012 8:32 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Great discussion, all! Feel free to discuss THG in the movies and books threads...and look for the return of this thread (or a new one) as the movie version of Catching Fire approaches.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : May 31, 2012 11:04 am
Page 11 / 11
Share: