Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] In a Land of Myth and a Time of Magic...Merlin SF

sweeetlilgurlie
(@sweeetlilgurlie)
NarniaWeb Guru

"The destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young boy. His name?"

Merlin.

The show tells the story of how the great wizard Merlin started out his career. He moves to Camelot at his mother's request to live with a friend that she trusts: Gaius, the court physician. This move was for his own safety. Why? The king of Camelot has outlawed all magic and sorcery. For a kid born with an aptitude for both, this is quite a problem.

Quickly, Merlin is thrown into the thick of things, becomes the servant of Prince (not yet King) Arthur, makes friends with the serving girl (not yet Queen) Guinevere, and makes cow eyes at the King's ward (not yet evil sorceress) Morgana, all while evading the suspicious gaze of Arthur's magic-hating father, King Uther. In short, the tale tells the story of what happened before Merlin was legend.

When this tv show first aired in 2007, many people were (quite naturally) shocked. The BBC has dared to go where few people have gone before; they've meddled with legend, given it modern day language, and rearranged storylines. Yet somehow, the show has done remarkably well. With a fourth season filming right now and set to air in October, the show hasn't lost moment these four years.

Why?

Cause it ROCKS!

Story, character, and interesting plot twists drive this show on. Combined with an excellent location on set of a REAL castle in France, beautiful costumes, and superb acting, many viewers (myself included) are willing to forgive the BBC for meddling.

Do you love it too? What interests you? Why? Do you like the retelling? What's you favorite episode? Favorite character? Discuss all that jazz right here! :D B-)

P.S., put all spoiler-y things in spoiler boxes so that those who aren't on the most recent season aren't spoiled!

"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."

Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2011 3:13 pm
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

YES! I was just thinking we should have this topic! I love this show. LOVE. :D

I love the whole Merlin and Arthur relationship, its so funny.
I think my favorite character is Merlin (yes, very original :) ) My least favorite character is Uther....I love to hate him. Favorite villians: Morgans (because she goes from good to evil), Moraguse (because she is awsome), and Nimueh. I also liked Sigan, but I wish we saw more of him.

The show has everything I love (well not everything...but a lot of stuff ;) ) : magic, legends, knights, comedy, a little family drama, and exciting adventures.

I can't wait for season four. However I hear we will have to wait until next year, so its going to be a long wait. :(
Anyways, that's it for my rant about my love for Merlin..for now.

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : March 25, 2011 4:08 pm
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Wonderful thread title Sweeet. ;))

Well, I really enjoy Merlin, though I have a hard time with how hit and miss it is quality-wise. The first season was great, the second was good, and the third season was this horrible mix of really bad, really pointless, and really amazing. And it can all be so campy. But I love the characters (except for the rather awful--as far as acting and development go--Morgana). Merlin is my favorite, but the best thing about the show are the relationships between the characters.

Posted : March 26, 2011 8:50 am
CharlotteRose
(@charlotterose)
NarniaWeb Nut

I love merlin! Its just a really good adventure story and I really want another series!!!
Fave characters are hard to list because i love loads of them but i'm gonna go with Morganna because she had a really interesting story line, Sir Lancelot because the episode with his and Gwen made me cry, and he reminds me a bit of Ben Barnes-Caspian, and Sir Gwaine because he's irish and my family come from Ireland and he has an equally good storyline despite the fact that he rarely appears.
Overall I just love the series, its good to watch after tea with your family and not to complicated to follow if you miss an episode. :)

Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!

Posted : March 27, 2011 6:09 am
sillygoose
(@sillygoose)
NarniaWeb Nut

I love Merlin! My favorite character has to be Merlin. I love his wit and Colin Morgan is a fabulous actor. He can be quite funny and he can also bring emotion to his character.

I totally agree with you, Kate, about the consistency of quality. I liked the first season, loved the second season, but so far I'm not feeling the third season. One week they would have an absolutely amazing episode and the next week's episode would be terrible. I just hope it gets better because I would love to see the 4th season back in America.

Team Edward and Team Jacob are overrated. I'm Team Avatar!

Find me on Tumblr!
http://inside-the-mind-of-a-nerddess.tumblr.com/

Avvie by Rising_Star

Posted : March 27, 2011 10:44 am
Rising_Star
(@rising_star)
NarniaWeb Guru

I stopped watching Merlin at the beginning of the third season, mostly because Morgana bugged me. She's soooooo bad at being bad! All those cliche evil smiles that NO ONE SEEMS TO NOTICE EVEN THOUGH SHE DOES THEM ALLLLL THE TIME! *ahem* Yeah, that really bugged me. ;)) I don't know if it's the director's fault or what but she just didn't sell it to me.

However I do love Merlin and Arthur and their friendship. I do think that was something that was developed well. I like Gwen too, and Gaius can be fun. The Dragon I hate, and I feel a bit sorry for Uther sometimes.

My favorite character though is Mordred. ;)) I was so happy to see him in three episodes since usually guest stars only show up once, sometimes twice. I really wanted him to be in the third season but since he wasn't I didn't really have any desire to see it, honestly. ;))

P.S."Brooklyn!"

BeautyLikeNight's Graphics
My book: The Blind Traveler

Posted : March 28, 2011 2:24 am
CharlotteRose
(@charlotterose)
NarniaWeb Nut

I kind of agree with you about MorganaRising_Star, because she does all that evil stuff and is really obvious but then makes it even more obvious and she...ITS JUST OBVIOUS she is evil...and no one ever notices??!? and when Merlin finds out, he should have told someone, I know its bad and no one would have believed him but he should have tried because then some people would have been more suspicious, maybe not Arthur/Uther etc, but some people. Granted Merlin would have probably been executed for treason or something but it may have helped and he's got out of death situations before...But never mind, I'm sure they'll wrap it up well.

Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!

Posted : March 28, 2011 6:53 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

I should probably avoid this thread since I've only seen the first six episodes. But I saw the name Merlin and just had to peek. :p I have really enjoyed what I've seen so far and I can't wait until I have time to watch more episodes. Morgana is awful, but most of the other actors/characters are really good.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : March 30, 2011 6:22 am
NarnianAtHeart
(@narnianatheart)
NarniaWeb Regular

Merlin is my favorite character :D and I do think Morganna is getting annoying with her evil smiles and such....but I'm excited to see what she does next I aslo like the friendship between Arthor and Merlin ;)

WILL POULTER IS EUSTACE club!

sincerely NAH ( Narnian At Heart)
Narnia a world were you and I belong

Posted : April 4, 2011 1:26 pm
sweeetlilgurlie
(@sweeetlilgurlie)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm on Season 3, episode 5, and I'm liking it so far. I agree with what people have said to me before, though, that the show needs to decide if it's going to be a series of unrelated stories with the same characters or a whole series of story episodes that relate to the plot of the whole season.

Favorite character is Merlin. I know, I know, it's so typical, but he's the best!

"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."

Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2011 4:20 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing on Wednesday, April 13, after which feel free to discuss BBC Merlin in the Television thread. :) And remember, if you have a request for a Special Feature, please PM any of the Spare Oom mods and we will be glad to add it to the list.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : April 9, 2011 8:20 am
Share: